UAL's Ceo Compensation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Okay

All points well taken. I was typing on another disappointing day. Sorry. I'm a little on the mello side and didn't intend to flame Tilton personally, but I did. (I'm not a literary great)

In general, with all that has happened with CEOs these last few months, I'm a little cynical. I believe (my own belief) that CEOs make too much money, cash or otherwise. Especially being unemployed any income over $25K seems great to me.
"Eveybody makes too much money... except me".

UAL78 - As much as you'd like to think this is my personality and belief system you are wrong. My SWA app went in long before 9/11. My peers can make more than me; I don't care. As long as my family and I make a comfortable wage and I'm happy at work then we've got all we need. If I were the money grubber your quote implies I'd wait the five or so years its going to be to get recalled to get back on that glorious pay scale, albeit concessioned down quite a bit.

Slug

Timeframe:

Application to Pizza Hut---------------14 Sep
Called for interview--------------------30 Oct
Interview----------------------------1 Nov
Start new hire training-----------------2 Nov

Last edited:
Slug,

My only point was to generate a little positive thinking these days rather than slam the new guy for what UAL needed to pay to attract some talent. I too was a bit surprised to see him come from the "outside" however some fresh thinking is just what this company needs ! It appears that all of the naysayers are now on board about concessions, I was getting sick of hearing about the past and how mgmnt. has messed everything up. One does not besiege a dying patient with medical history questions while he is down and bleeding to death. The mistakes of the past are just that, the future needs to have everyone pulling on the same end of the rope. Unfortunately. as history has shown, great things happen during trying times and then it is all lost later on when times are good again. How soon we forget ! It is really nice to see employee groups working together these days and making some great strides. Call it wishfull thinking but I hope that after things improve people do not forget. I just wish I was there to participate !

There are not any "Airline CEOs" that have experience with the magnitude of today's problems. To just get through this without entering bankruptcy will be a major accomplishment for Tilton and I believe that he has a pretty good chance. The ball is in the ATSB hands somewhat and we will soon have an answer. Should UAL enter BK then it will be ugly for everyone. I find it appalling to hear Bethune's arrogant comments about needing a big one to fall so they can succeed. Wasn't that long ago that he was involved in bankruptcy himself was it ??? Mr. Tilton has made some amazing progress with the foundation that was laid by Mr. Creighton. They, he got rid of a couple bad apples right off the bat !

So your original concern about how much they have given Tilton ? I agree that the perfomance of many of our nation's great companies and their officers have disgraced our country with their greedy practices. I cheer at the S.O.B.s when they are getting jail time because it is criminal ! This has affected everyone in this country, sure hate to be retiring right now with my dismal portfolio ! The ability to attract talent at UAL would have been easy if we were making bundles of cash however this was not the case. I honestly feel that for a 10 million employment package, which is only that high the first year, will be money well spent if this ship is righted. Again, time will tell, sure hope I am right.

Congrats on the SWA gig, hate to lose one of our own. I fully understand though. Ever talk to any of the past UAL furloughees ? They too are not all that pleased with being out for up to 7 years however I spoke with one that is now a 747 captain not that long ago. I get the feeling that despite the extended vacation, he was happy to be flying the whale. We'll see if the concessions dim his perspective some, his pay cut will be more than I make ! Oh the problems one has to deal with !

Enough rambling. Take care.

Latest resources

Back