• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL wins temporary injunction against pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If we want the RLA changed we need to put our money out there... ALPA-PAC gets about 14% of all ALPA pilots contributing... it is not that you need to contribute allot...just something.... In addition 14% is a very small minority... what that says to congressmen is that pilots really don't care.... that the status quo for pilots is just fine...

You can bet the corporati's are dumping lots of money into PAC's to ensure the RLA stays in their favor....

And where did these companies get their PAC money? Oh yeah, from the pilots who generate the company revenue and then they turn around and screw those very pilots....

The carrier said that cost it about $8 million in lost revenue and $3.9 million in operating profit.

Great news!

Move over SWA, UAL has a nearly 50 percent operating profit! The hard times are behind us now. It took a team of lawyers to figure it out, but UAL is a profit machine! Just think, if pilots didn't pick up open time, ALPA would bring UAL billions..... Shucks, just canceling 1 percent of its flights would bring UAL back to profitability.

Ahh...sorry UALdriver, I should have read your post more carefully. I didn't mean to repeat it in my example.

Now, the chance of a modification to the RLA with a the Dem vs. Rep will remain to be seen. I am cautiously optimistic.

But make no mistake...unions are still going to have a rough road.

Think about it....today you've the the CEO's of the big 3 automakers begging for BILLIONS of dollars....at some point, someone is going to say..."ya know...if you release us from these "union" contracts" we'll be MUCH more competitive.

There is a reason the union guys are there too....

My money is not betting on the union over the next several years.

I don't care about the repeat. I'm just in a bad mood today. Care to guess why? :)

I'm under no illusion that the RLA is going to go away because the Republicans are on the run for awhile. I just think, hope, and pray that it will be modified or modernized. After the results of this past election, there may be some hope. At the very least, we should get some favorable appointments!

If we want the RLA changed we need to put our money out there... ALPA-PAC gets about 14% of all ALPA pilots contributing... it is not that you need to contribute allot...just something.... In addition 14% is a very small minority... what that says to congressmen is that pilots really don't care.... that the status quo for pilots is just fine...

You can bet the corporati's are dumping lots of money into PAC's to ensure the RLA stays in their favor....

And where did these companies get their PAC money? Oh yeah, from the pilots who generate the company revenue and then they turn around and screw those very pilots....

So you mean to say after ALPA gets around $55 Million dollars a year in dues, it still needs to have a "bake sale" to really be effective?

Maybe Prater is taking in more than the half a million a year everybody thought?

Quit running a union like a business and fight the RLA like a real union will make the difference!

It's amazing to me the rationale pilots use not to contribute to a PAC like the ALPA-PAC.

I mean, look at the ATA (Air Transport Association). It's a very influential body in Congress that exists to represent the interests of airlines (read: not necessarily pilots' interests, airline interests). The ATA has members whose CEO's are some of the most egotistical people on the planet. Some of these CEO's in the present and the past can't/couldn't even stand each other. Yet they are all smart enough to realize how valuable the influence the ATA has in Washington. Despite the MANY failings that the ATA has had in the past (crack open Air Transport World or Aviation Week and Space Technology for examples), all of these airlines and their respective CEO's are not DUMB ENOUGH to not be members. They all have agendas that need to be pushed forward, and you can bet the ATA members make sure the resources are in place to have their voice heard on any issue affecting THEIR airline industry.

U.S. airline pilots however..........

It's amazing to me the rationale pilots use not to contribute to a PAC like the ALPA-PAC.

I mean, look at the ATA (Air Transport Association). It's a very influential body in Congress that exists to represent the interests of airlines (read: not necessarily pilots' interests, airline interests). The ATA has members whose CEO's are some of the most egotistical people on the planet. Some of these CEO's in the present and the past can't/couldn't even stand each other. Yet they are all smart enough to realize how valuable the influence the ATA has in Washington. Despite the MANY failings that the ATA has had in the past (crack open Air Transport World or Aviation Week and Space Technology for examples), all of these airlines and their respective CEO's are not DUMB ENOUGH to not be members. They all have agendas that need to be pushed forward, and you can bet the ATA members make sure the resources are in place to have their voice heard on any issue affecting THEIR airline industry.

U.S. airline pilots however..........

My point is that ALPA is run too much like a business and not a union with balls. ALPA is too afraid of getting fined, because they are a business.

The RLA has been the bane of Organized labor since it's inception, ALPA's made zero headway and admittedly can't (without a little more cash).

Every cent should be torwards fighting the RLA.

Until then ALPA is nothing more than a fun club with a glossy magazine.

I just don't care anymore....fkkkk.....u.....domd....mf......tilton...u r sukn up the breath a squirl could be usn.....PLS.....DY.....SNNN...U....DMB....MF....FAT.....BTCH!

Unfair? Why of course!

Bankruptcy laws are unfairly stacked against labor too. Only in America can a company go bankrupt, employees take massive paycuts and CEO's and management get massive bonuses at the same time.

If ALPA wants to change anything, it will have to resort to revolutionary measures. Yes, it means a wildcat strike. It means walking off the job, and telling the lawmakers, judges, the president of the USA, and everyone else - BITE ME! Address our issues, and we'll get back to work.

It will take drastic actions, and ALPA is unwilling to take them. Oh well... maybe they'll be able to get enough PAC money to overcome the management lobbyists. :)

I wonder how much bonus money will be spread around.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back