• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Take the interview - it's always good to make sure that your interview skills remain sharp.

If you want some job security, you need to stay put at Eagle due to how I view what's on the horizon for the economy.

Now, here's my dark side, unvarnished view on the economy. It's in deep trouble. Very deep trouble. The housing problem is extremely likely to drag down the entire economy. I expect the worst recession since the great depression - it's that ugly in the credit markets.
The rapid collapse the credit markets is destroying liquidity and is resulting in a massive decrease in the money supply. Take a look at what caused the great depression. There are a lot of parallels.

With that economic scenario, I would expect a contraction in the airline industry on the order of post-911. I would expect any newhire pilot at United to be furloughed before they finish probation. I expect to be furloughed again before all is said and done.

I know that I've got a dark view of the immediate future, but I think that we are approaching the day of economic reckoning.

With all due respect Andy I disagree with you.

Not an expert here, but didn't the Fed just inject money into the banking system to increase liquidity?

Plus I have been waching this whole ACA and United lovefest. I watched as the pilot group at United got a huge pay increase back in 2000 or so, and rode that contract as far as they could while the conditions in the industry got worse and worse. I also remember ACA pilots voting in paycuts that would save United money for our services while United was secretly trying to screw us anyway. I remember United pilots saying to me and a co-worker within earshot, "Yeah, those ACA guys wont take a paycut." Thats right, throw us under the bus so you can get yours. So much for the spirit of cooperation.
I have friends who went through divorces after the whole indy mess, families that were broken apart. Then I get to see how some pompous jerk has the nerve to call Indy guys a bunch of whores. Get a clue!

The Fed's been injecting money into the markets like a drunken sailor. The credit markets are getting worse, not better. It's not working.

Last bit about Indy, since you seem to have a good memory. Remember the chants at Indy's inaugural party? Remember the talk in the crew room about which pieces of United that Indy would be able to pick up once United went chap 7?

T-Bags has already pointed out my current status. I accepted recall to United in Jan 2007. I will return to Yo-nited in fall 2009. For about 9 months, until I can reset my man day clock and return to the AF Reserves and my staff puke job for another 3 1/4 years. I really won't be back to United until 2014, if ever. If something else comes up, I will have no problem walking away from this business forever.
I find the current payscales disgusting across the board - United's payscale included - and companies such VA and Skybus will put further pressure on ALL airlines' pilot wages.

Must be pretty nice to be able to let a company allow you to accrue seniority while you decide if ever to go back to them.

Have some ballz make a decision and stick with it.

Latest resources

Back