Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL to not make it through the Winter???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I disagree with your statement about the government bailing out any airline without the citizens worrying about deficits which they should have been worrying about long before we drove this economy into the crap hole. I have looked into the mirror and now it is your turn.
I think you're ignoring how deluded the sheeple (general American populace) are right now... You and I may be highly concerned over the spending practices of ALL administrations in the last 2 decades, but most Americans aren't as long as they can continue to buy their cheap Walmart goods, drive their shiny car to work, and take cheap vacations for less than it costs the airline to produce the flight.

I could be wrong, and maybe Obama will allow an airline (not necessarily UAL, just whoever ends up in bankruptcy next) to fall, as a way to appease the American people who are starting to wake up and realize the financial impact of his spending practices on the next 2 generations of Americans to come.

But history in the last two decades has shown us that the American Government takes care of the airlines; whether that's because of the huge lobbying machine the ATA has in place or because they really are concerned about tens of thousands MORE unemployed Americans on the streets, it doesn't matter if the end result is the continuation of the morass that is our airline industry.

UA isn't going anywhere...Skywest will just buy them out come winter just before UA goes under. Afterall, Skywest has all their money anyway.

Ualdriver, you guys can keep blaming every bad thing that happens on management. Reality is that the entire industry's in a tailspin. Deal with it and quit your griping about management. Yeah, they're partially at fault, but the pilots have more blame than management as far as creating a lousy work environment.

Care to elaborate on that one??

Hi!

I thought that, basically, all of UAL's assets were already leveraged to raise cash, so that they cannot sell any of them?

cliff
NBO

Chase is a bank, they would much rather have the money. They don't want to see UAL fail, but it's the case of the loan shark and the gambler. Chase will keep lending them money and crazy interest rates and bad terms until it's impossible for them to pay it back.

UAL is free to sell the assets anytime to pay back the terms of the loan. The problem is, their isn't a single legacy carrier now that has the ability pay out a Billion+ in cash(Delta has the most free cash but they don't nee the Pacific). AMR is the most likly purchaser but they are in the weakest position forget, (USAIR).

In this economy CAL is not willing to commit suicide by paying out over a billion for something that they in essence already have. Otherwise you are borrowing the money at a crazy interest rate from a bank like Chase and just hopping into the same fire that UAL is already in.

Everyone is waiting around for a fire sale and that's just not going to happen for years to come. Until the industry turns and Chase determines that they can force UAL to sell for a health profit (industry turns and CAL or AMR has free cash), they will just keep lending them money.

The thing that hurts UAL's pilots(and every other failing carrier) is the new Bond seniority integration methodology. Neither AMR or CAL's pilot group will be willing to agree to the terms of the new legislation, their will be no merger. If UAL has to sell any assets, no pilots will change hands, because neither pilot group would ever agree to losing seniority while not having a contract and pilots out on furlough.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Ualdriver, you guys can keep blaming every bad thing that happens on management. Reality is that the entire industry's in a tailspin. Deal with it and quit your griping about management. Yeah, they're partially at fault, but the pilots have more blame than management as far as creating a lousy work environment.

So you aren't resigning? Seems kind of hypocritical to me to paint with such a broad brush, calling me and my peers "self serving idiots" and all. If you'd put your money where you mouth is, you'd submit your resignation tomorrow and be done with us. If I honestly felt that way about my peers at a particular carrier, the LAST thing I would do is associate with them, especially when there appears to be no apparent reason to do so.

I shouldn't gripe about my management's poor performance? Really? Let's see- 3 years in bankruptcy, huge pay cuts (46%-ish), trashed work rules, lost pensions, 1.5% raises over the past several years, pi$$ing away cash in DIV's and paying down low interest debt WITH CASH in order to pay said DIV, (I'll give them a pass on the hedging losses), a couple of thousand pilots furloughed, and despite all of those advantages these guys STILL can't get their act together. Never mind the lack of leadership, the outsourcing, and the recent Aer Lingus end around. Yet the pilots are MORE responsible for creating a lousy work environment? Really? Perhaps we should be nominating Glenn for CEO of the year?

It's one thing as a corporation in an industry experiencing a down cycle to get dragged down along with the cycle. It's another when a management team gets every advantage they could possibly want through the bankruptcy courts and the 1113c process and STILL be losing.

Last edited:
Well I didn't see the article in USA Today, and there didn't appear to be any other big news either. It'll probably be recycled info from many months ago anyway, with a bunch of quotes from Vaughan Cordle or that other line pilot analyst from American.

Whatever.

USA Today will run an article this Tuesday that delves into this very subject. It may run a day later if there is more pressing news, but for now it is slated to run Tuesday, September 8th. I'm hearing that the article will focus a lot of attention on UAL's "liquidity crisis," if there is one.

Not that I'm advocating the USA Today as a reliable source of airline news.

Stay tuned...

Ok we are still staying tuned...It is Tuesday now...where is the article?
Exactly....more flame.

Care to elaborate on that one??

Here you go: Senior UAL ALPA tore up layers of elaborate scope that took years to get in one hairbrained, hail Mary to save the A fund. Question: Would you rather have that scope back now or the A plan? Whoops! The A plan is gone! Nice job you senior dipsticks. I don't know one UAL pilot under 40 at the time that didn't already know throwing out scope wasn't going to work.

Next up: Career progression. "Oh yeah, we can re-mortgage that easy enough" Says UAL ALPA. Put Andy on the street with no real clear path back or out or...anywhere (flying that is) so another old, stinking, foolish, failed UAL guy/gal with 25+ years can further fc-up the career.

Tell me the place wouldn't be better if there weren't at least some retirements? Tell me it wouldn't be better with at least more than one sentence of scope?

And that's just the tip of what you've screwed up.

Last edited:
Here you go: Senior UAL ALPA tore up layers of elaborate scope that took years to get in one hairbrained, hail Mary to save the A fund. Question: Would you rather have that scope back now or the A plan? Whoops! The A plan is gone! Nice job you senior dipsticks. I don't know one UAL pilot under 40 at the time that didn't already know throwing out scope wasn't going to work.

Next up: Career progression. "Oh yeah, we can re-mortgage that easy enough" Says UAL ALPA. Put Andy on the street with no real clear path back or out or...anywhere (flying that is) so another old, stinking, foolish, failed UAL guy/gal with 25+ years can further fc-up the career.

Tell me the place wouldn't be better if there weren't at least some retirements? Tell me it wouldn't be better with at least more than one sentence of scope?

And that's just the tip of what you've screwed up.

If you think for a minute I am going to defend ALPA you are sadly mistaken. I would love to hear your explanation on how UAL ALPA somehow played a hand in 65 so you can steer that nonsence towards Herndon. If you need directions I'll help you with that

Now scum bag explain to me what a senior UAL ALPA pilot is. You are so brave to call me one behind your keyboard. Meanwhile I continue to bounce down the pay scale like everyone else due to the scope issue which ONE ALPA rep signed away with his pen WITHOUT membership ratification.

With that said I asked ANDY to explain to me how the United Pilots are more to blame for the position our company is in than UAL management. I invite you to do the same.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back