UAL to Furlough?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Green

They exist in a near monopoly with only 3 major airlines, the economy is relatively 'strong,' and we are not in the midst of any disruptors like 150/oil or bird flu. Yet UAL is going to furlough 685 FA's. Quite shocking.

I imagine if UAL was the only airline in the world they would be complaining about competition from corporate jets and the need to cut wages, etc. What's going to happen when the economy takes a nose dive due to rising interest rates?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/01/16/us-unitedcontinental-furloughs-idUSBREA0F08020140116

Wow. And they just hired those people within the last year. I hope management can get it's act together.

Sad for those involved.

They are furloughing on the L-UAL side, the hiring has been done on the L-CAL side. The L-UAL side is shrinking as 757s get parked and the CAL side is growing as 787s arrive. The FAs are still not integrated.

Just more BS to put pressure on AFA to get a JCBA done.

Wow. And they just hired those people within the last year. I hope management can get it's act together.

Sad for those involved.

As you can see it's an issue over merging their list. Just curious, you say you hope their management can get their act together......they seem to be following through with a similar scenario to what your "Gary" threatened to do. Do you also think your management should get their act together?

Not picking on you dude, we all live in glass houses.

Last edited:
Nice thread creep dan
Like east west, maybe all threads should be SWA-AT whenever any SWA guy says anything

As you can see it's an issue over merging their list. Just curious, you say you hope their management can get their act together......they seem to be following through with a similar scenario to what your "Gary" threatened to do. Do you also think your management should get their act together?

Not picking on you dude, we all live in glass houses.

That was a pretty crazy thread creep Dan, but to answer your question...

Yes, I think SW management should get our acquisition complete. I meant no disrespect with what I said regarding UAL. I honestly hope they can get the synergies they keep talking about. And not furloughing.

UAL AFA had a chance to formalize an agreement allowing UAL FA crossovers to CAL and they shot it down. The specific problem is these two contracts are light years apart. CAL FAs have a productivity type contract, and UAL FAs are the opposite. Even though a large number of junior UAL want the CAL work rules, there are still more senior mamas that are not interested. The UAL side wants a lot of money to not work.

UAL AFA had a chance to formalize an agreement allowing UAL FA crossovers to CAL and they shot it down. The specific problem is these two contracts are light years apart. CAL FAs have a productivity type contract, and UAL FAs are the opposite. Even though a large number of junior UAL want the CAL work rules, there are still more senior mamas that are not interested. The UAL side wants a lot of money to not work.

The COMPANY shot down the AFA proposal for a crossover deal not the other way around. The CAL girls are being fed BS from the IAM supporters to discredit AFA. The company likes to wipsaw the 2 groups, where did we see that before......Same management, same MO!

Latest resources

Back