Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Volasl

UAL Profit WTF! Fuel Hedges?

CHICAGO - UAL Corp <UAUA.O>, parent of United Airlines, reported a quarterly profit on Tuesday after big gains from fuel hedges, but said it would cut its international flying capacity by 7 percent to offset sagging demand.
Second-quarter profit was $28 million, or 19 cents per share, compared with a loss of $2.74 billion, or $21.57 per share, a year earlier.
The airline industry has struggled lately against falling demand as the recession erodes travel budgets. UAL said its international capacity cut would be made in the last four months of 2009.
Excluding non-cash, net mark-to-market hedge gains and accounting charges, UAL posted a second-quarter loss of $2.23 per share. On that basis, analysts had expected a loss of $2.56, according to Reuters Estimates.
The company said operating revenue fell 25.2 percent to $4.02 billion.
UAL ended the quarter with $2.8 billion in total cash, of which $2.6 billion was unrestricted

Last edited:
how to you go from preparing for a supposedly 350 million loss to a hedging profit?

id love to the the real numbers.

SKIPPY

All that really matters:

UAL ended the quarter with $2.8 billion in total cash, of which $2.6 billion was unrestricted

Cash increased. Go figure?????

Well they still lost $321 million in 2Q no matter how they spin it. But better than expected. The big question is total assets. From last year march to this year march it has decreased by 1.3 billion. And remember they got a loan on spare parts at 17% interest.

Last edited:
I'm sure this has been widely discussed already somewhere, but how many UAL pilots are on the street right now? Whats the hire date of the most junior? And have they announced future furloughs and if so what will the hire date be?

I think that their accountants did some real art work here. What they are costing out, how they are hitting their general ledger and the amounts of depreciation they are taking this quarter on all of their assets would really tell the tale.
IMHO there was a lot of accounting wizardry taking place to make these numbers work.

I'm sure this has been widely discussed already somewhere, but how many UAL pilots are on the street right now? Whats the hire date of the most junior? And have they announced future furloughs and if so what will the hire date be?

After Sept 2009 the most junior will be a late 1999 hire, we have another BIG furlough coming in October so I would say then the mist junior will be early 1999.

Latest resources

Back