UAL Profit WTF seriously love accounting rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nah, just whistling past the graveyard.

Prediction: Merger with CAL in a pre-packaged BK with merger/acquisition with major asset sales and a good portion of the former UAL discarded. Kellner was fired for not approving the merger.

Earlier today Continental management announced that they would be reducing jobs at the airline by an additional 1700 employees. Although there was no mention of pilot positions in the announcement, ALPA was notified late this afternoon that the company will be sending out as many as 308 letters to pilots notifying them of a possible furlough. These letters are required by New Jersey state law.

Another arm chair CEO without a brain. Discard a good portion?
Like what? Their routes? Airplanes? Slots?...Go back to school kid.

Some Jack@ss wishing unemployment for other pilots is downright disgusting.

I know everyone on this forum loves to think that CAL is going to "wait for UAL to fail and then pick up the pieces they want." First of all, it could happen someday, just like it could happen at CAL, but probably not anytime soon. Second of all, whether you're referring to a UAL failure or a failure of anyone else, a poster (CAL guys?) who believes in the first sentence is under the assumption that CAL will actually get the pieces they would want. Sorry guys, but the airline industry doesn't act in a CAL vacuum.

IMO it would be incredibly risky for CAL management to sit on the sidelines and wait and hope for the following sequence of events to ALL happen: 1) UAL fails, 2) UAL is actually broken up instead of being reorganized, and 3) CAL actually get the pieces it wants *if* UAL were broken up- the same pieces that other, possibly healthier airlines are obviously going to want too.

I guess all of those things could happen, but what if they don't? Then what? That's why I suspect, whether it's now or later, that we'll see (here at UAL) some sort of merger rather than fragmentation.

Hey, here's an idea: All you old 60-somethings could friggin retire!!! Go enjoy your measly lives while your ticker is still beating. God damn, I hate flying with the blue hairs.

Hey, here's an idea: All you old 60-somethings could friggin retire!!! Go enjoy your measly lives while your ticker is still beating. God damn, I hate flying with the blue hairs.

Better yet...how bout the company offer them some incentive to leave!

Why would you not offer an early out program...these guys are expensive.

Latest resources

Back