UAL posts big loss in 1st Q

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

Well if you sell a product for less than it costs to produce, then what do they expect. They are no different in bankruptcy or out of bankruptcy besides executive compensation. I Bet they get a huge bonus when they merge together, which is now looking extremely likely.

lowecur said:
All the cost cutting in the world can't undue poor mgt decisions. This is an airline that is ripe for consolidation with CAL. If that happens, look for hub closers in CLE, DIA, and IAD. LAX, SFO need to remain viable due to strong Pacific rim route network. If that happens, B6 need not worry about FRNT.

I doubt DIA would close, but I could be wrong. Maybe this is why SWA decided to move into DIA so they can be established when UAL shuts down there. CLE and IAD would be shut down within a couple of days. I'm not sure how this would effect B6. A merged domestic mega-carrier would be very hard to compete with when they start making money. This probably would not be the best news for B6 other than a merged CAL/UAL is going to have severe employee morale problems which = unhappy employees which = unhappy customers.

It seems like just 3 months ago when UAL mgt was telling us that fuel for the year would cost $1.81

Oh that's right it was 3 months ago when they said that fuel would be .34 cents less.

"The company expects mainline fuel price to average $2.15 per gallon for the second quarter and $2.06 per gallon for the full year (including taxes). The company currently has no fuel hedges in place for the remainder of 2006."

Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming but at least Tilton got his stock price up (3 months to go before he can start excerising his options)

They only missed their fuel estimates by 19% but what do I know. Now I need a new signature.

Last edited:
G4G5 said:
It seems like just 3 months ago when UAL mgt was telling us that fuel for the year would cost $1.81

Oh that's right it was 3 months ago when they said that fuel would be .34 cents less.

"The company expects mainline fuel price to average $2.15 per gallon for the second quarter and $2.06 per gallon for the full year (including taxes). The company currently has no fuel hedges in place for the remainder of 2006."

Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming but at least Tilton got his stock price up (3 months to go before he can start excerising his options)

They only missed their fuel estimates by 19% but what do I know. Now I need a new signature.

You would think the Oil Exec. could at least get the fuel thing right!

400 million in revenue and 4.5billion in cash, which happens to be the largest cash balance in the company's history, show some good trends. According to Tilton's message today the UAL has 300 million in cost cut programs for the rest of the year and 400 million in place for 2007.

Fuel cost were 314mil. more YOY and the price was 1.95gal versus 1.47 YOY. Unit cost excluding fuel rose 3% YOY. Almost all of the gains were in the revenue side. This condition to be addressed with the cost cut programs on the non-revenue side.

32LT10 said:
400 million in revenue and 4.5billion in cash, which happens to be the largest cash balance in the company's history, show some good trends. According to Tilton's message today the UAL has 300 million in cost cut programs for the rest of the year and 400 million in place for 2007.

Fuel cost were 314mil. more YOY and the price was 1.95gal versus 1.47 YOY. Unit cost excluding fuel rose 3% YOY. Almost all of the gains were in the revenue side. This condition to be addressed with the cost cut programs on the non-revenue side.

You think you'll enjoy bankruptcy more the second time?

furlough-boy said:
You think you'll enjoy bankruptcy more the second time?

Who knows. I think it will be filled with pay raises and nothing but 60 hour HKG layovers.

Do you think you will enjoy being a DH for the rest of your life?

32LT10 sure can harass everyone about the "crappy" airline they work for, but doesn't take it very well when someone says something negative about United.......

Latest resources

Back