• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Pilots take Skywest and Mesa jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
How does this help United??? they are losing millions a day and now they are going to pay labor for employees that are not even working for United??? it might only be 15 an hour, but if a few hundred go after this, it will add up. UAL could take that money they are going to spend, to pay the furloughed guy to fly for someone else, and use that money to recall 100 mainline guys. the only way i could see this as being some benfit is if UAL management has plans to get many many many RJ 70- 90 seater in the future and try to use this jet for jobs as a bargaining tool with mailine pilots in future negoiations such as scope limits?????? i hate to see any pilots on the street so this is good, but it just seems odd that Ual managemnet would agree to pay for anything costs to support this when they are losing so much per day.

Carl_Everett said:
How can you say it will not hurt anyone else? Remember all of the pay cuts at SkyWest and Airwisky? Guess where that money is going...

Regional pilots take a pay cut to finance the mainline furlough placement program, yeah that doesn't hurt anyone. The pay differnence is not being paid by United, it is being paid by Skywest and AirWhisky pilots.

That's pretty imaginative if you really think that's true. We’re talking about a small amount of money that only lasts until the pilot reaches second year pay anyway. Instead of blaming everyone else for your pay rates, maybe you should do something about it.

Carl E,

Wow, I don't think those numbers will add up to the pay cuts that have been taken at the regionals. Do you want to know some numbers that do?

Usairways pilots take pay cuts, and have their pensions destroyed, pension money then used to purchase RJs. If you would like to complain, how about them apples.

Wow, I can point to a few people on this board that live by the slogan, "It is all about me"..Does anyone really wonder why our careers will continue to be eroded.

AA (ex Eagle)
According to MDP727, just another one of those guys sh1tting all
over Eagle.

MDP727 said:
Will all the commuter folks be guaranteed jobs at UAL?

If you want it to work both ways, you have to provide the same incentives.....

The commuters (regionals) will have to provide a route system, a worldwide trademark, and sweet operating contracts that allow UAL to buy a whole new fleet of jets.

Then the regional guys can get guaranteed jobs at UAL if they get furloughed as a result.

AAflyer said:
Carl E,

Wow, I don't think those numbers will add up to the pay cuts that have been taken at the regionals. Do you want to know some numbers that do?

Usairways pilots take pay cuts, and have their pensions destroyed, pension money then used to purchase RJs. If you would like to complain, how about them apples.

Wow, I can point to a few people on this board that live by the slogan, "It is all about me"..Does anyone really wonder why our careers will continue to be eroded.

AA (ex Eagle)
According to MDP727, just another one of those guys sh1tting all
over Eagle.

The amount of money spent will be substantial, however. In addition to the extra 10-15 bucks an hour that will be paid, UAL also has to pay any training contracts if they recall. All of this goes to a bottom line of an outside carrier, possibly not even flying in the UAL system. Not too bad of a deal for the regional management types. Quality cheap labor, training cost recoup, and guaranteed growth.

As for US Airways, you forgot to mention that those same US Airways guys will be now flying those same RJ's for substandard wages, no pension, garbage work rules, etc. RJ's that should have been on the USAIR property to begin with. If you ask me those apples are rotten. This system is broken and it is gonna take someone a lot smarter than you or me to fix it.

Last edited:
fracflyer said:
That's pretty imaginative if you really think that's true. We’re talking about a small amount of money that only lasts until the pilot reaches second year pay anyway. Instead of blaming everyone else for your pay rates, maybe you should do something about it.

Where did I blame anyone for payrates? I was making a point about the current situation. Pilots from one company took paycuts to help the bottom line of UAL. UAL then will take a portion of that cost savings, and instead of helping their own bottom line, will send that money to a company were it may or may not be used in the UAL route system.

I bet that during the concessionary road shows the selling point about concessions did not include an hour on how a part of these pay cuts would be funding UAL furloughee pay checks. Do you really think any of those T/A's would have passed if they did?

Don't blame the UAL pilots for you not having the balls to vote no. Since you're so concerned with where the money is coming from, then assume it's from the 30-50% paycuts the pilots at UAL took. In fact, the cost of the program will probably be so small that UAL could switch from double-ply toilet paper to single-ply to pay for it.

fracflyer said:
Don't blame the UAL pilots for you not having the balls to vote no. Since you're so concerned with where the money is coming from, then assume it's from the 30-50% paycuts the pilots at UAL took. In fact, the cost of the program will probably be so small that UAL could switch from double-ply toilet paper to single-ply to pay for it.

If the unions at those carriers knew about what was going to happen, those T/A's would have never even been put to a vote.

It is foolish for you to be backing this logic. Don't you think that 30-50% from UAL pilots should be going to the bottom line of UAL? Wouldn't it make more sense to make UAL stronger, allow for UAL growth, and recalls back to UAL? The money saved on two-ply toilet paper could be going into UAL's pilot pension fund. If I flew for UAL I would be outraged. Do you think the UAL furloughees will have the balls to refuse the job offer? If they go to one of these carriers, they will be just as guilty as those who voted YES for pay cuts/substandard contracts.

I don't think that UAL having to repay training contracts will be an issue. Which of the UA regionals have training contracts, and how long are they for?

In the unlikely situation where UAL recalled all of it's pilots before their training contracts were up, it would mean that UAL would be making money, and getting their pilots back to fly mainline A/C would outweigh the cost of repaying a training contract.

But what are the chances of a full recall at UAL in the next 2 years?

Carl_Everett said:
If the unions at those carriers knew about what was going to happen, those T/A's would have never even been put to a vote.

It is foolish for you to be backing this logic. Don't you think that 30-50% from UAL pilots should be going to the bottom line of UAL? Wouldn't it make more sense to make UAL stronger, allow for UAL growth, and recalls back to UAL? The money saved on two-ply toilet paper could be going into UAL's pilot pension fund. If I flew for UAL I would be outraged. Do you think the UAL furloughees will have the balls to refuse the job offer? If they go to one of these carriers, they will be just as guilty as those who voted YES for pay cuts/substandard contracts.

I believe you're using the logic, "Someone is getting something I'm not. I must be geting screwed."

If I was still at UAL I would be happy that the furloughed pilots were getting a little something to help them and their families out. The expense is chump change, and I think ALPA did the pilots a good service by giving them this option. (they don't have to do it)

From a business point of view, I think the dividends in Pilot/management relations will be 10x the cost.

Latest resources

Back