Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

~~~^~~~

To: Furloughed United Pilots

On Wednesday, the United MEC ratified a letter of agreement with UAL that will allow United pilots to be offered employment with our United Express partners, including Mesa Air and SkyWest. We are in the process of working out the details and will be sending informational packets as soon as they are prepared and ready for shipment. I anticipate this information being in your hands no later than the first week of September.

To be eligible for employment with Mesa Air and SkyWest, a United pilot must be on furlough or have received notice of furlough. Hiring will be administered by the MEC office. Please do not contact Mesa or SkyWest directly about this agreement.

The following are some highlights of the Letter of Agreement prepared by Negotiating Committee Chairman Captain Wendy Morse and her committee.

Number of Jobs - Any feeder carrier that has an agreement with UAL to take delivery of SJs with a certificated seating capacity in excess of 50 seats, but not more than 70, must offer 5 jobs per SJ-70. These are guaranteed jobs, not interviews.
Type of Jobs - At least 60% of the total jobs per carrier must be in the right seat of a jet, the rest can be in any equipment. The jet jobs are not specific to the SJ-70 because the carriers have the same pay rate for 50 and 70 seat jets and will likely operate them as a common fleet type. The jobs will not necessarily be in the carrier’s United Express operation.
Pay rates - All pilots will start at 2nd year jet F/O pay rates. Their pay will remain at that rate until the regular wage scale surpasses it. This rate is $27-35 per hour, depending on the carrier, compared to new-hire pay of $17. UAL is picking up the tab for the difference.
Probation - Pilots will be subject to what we call quasi-probation. They will technically be on “probation,” but they will have access to the same due process as any non-probationary pilot.
Resignation - Pilots will not be required to resign their seniority number from UAL.
Training Bond Repayment - If a pilot is recalled and owes money to the carrier as a result of a training bond, UAL will pay the remaining obligation.
We have posted on the MEC website at www.alpa.org the Letter of Agreement between ALPA and UAL, as well as links to the Mesa Air collective bargaining agreement, Mesa Air domiciles and equipment, the Mesa Air website and the SkyWest website. Please note that the pilot section of SkyWest.com is expected to be offline until mid October. We will post more information on SkyWest as it becomes available.

It is important that your MEC has current information on all furloughed United pilots. Please be certain that ALPA and United have your address, phone number, e-mail and other relevant information.

Please be patient. More information will be provided as it becomes available.

It would be nice if Delta would do that for their furloughs, but they won't. And, atleast one of our DCI carriers doesn't want CRM problems. Atleast ASA and Chataqua offered jobs without resigning seniority, which will be remembered.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: :rolleyes:

How will ALPA ever decide the conflict when a UAL and a US Air pilot get in a nit about a position notice at Mesa? Oh, nevermind, the Delta MEC Presides over inner - ALPA conflicts. I forgot...

So the US Air pilot is Captain, since the UAL pilot is FO? How the heck does this work? What if the UAL pilot wants to upgrade?

Well, at least Orenstien is taken care of, training expenses, extra pay and the grievances will be paid by UAL. Wonder if UAL can write a check that cashes these days?

This is mind bogglin. Time for me to write another check to the RJDC, and my checks do cash.

Last edited:
I just dont get it...

A guy gets kicked out by UAL and gets a jet job with second year pay over guys that have already been there?

And the training obligations and pay difference will be picked up buy UAL whos still in BK?How is that supposed to work..?

I have never been a supporter of anybody being out of a job..But..How is this fair to those guys that went through the whole hiring process and then see some UAL guy just walk in and get second year pay and no probation..

As ive said before..What happens when things get better and all of these "Jets for Jobs" people go back to the big show..
Whos going to pay for all the retraining as they leave!!UAL?

What happens if UAL fails to recover and part of their ongoing restructoring means they cant pay for the different pay scale and training/retraining?

Sounds like its going to be very quiet in some of those cockpits..

I must be missing something here
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

MLBWINGBORN said:
I just dont get it...

A guy gets kicked out by UAL and gets a jet job with second year pay over guys that have already been there?

And the training obligations and pay difference will be picked up buy UAL whos still in BK?How is that supposed to work..?

I have never been a supporter of anybody being out of a job..But..How is this fair to those guys that went through the whole hiring process and then see some UAL guy just walk in and get second year pay and no probation..

As ive said before..What happens when things get better and all of these "Jets for Jobs" people go back to the big show..
Whos going to pay for all the retraining as they leave!!UAL?

What happens if UAL fails to recover and part of their ongoing restructoring means they cant pay for the different pay scale and training/retraining?

Sounds like its going to be very quiet in some of those cockpits..

I must be missing something here
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

The United guys will be at the bottom of the senority list and be behind everyone else. The second year pay difference they'll be making will be paid by United, not by the express carrier. So they're not getting anything more out of the express carrier that everyone else is. I don't think that's unfair to anyone. When the folks go back to UAL and the majors start hiring again then all the pilot will be leaving, so the furloughed people leaving will be few of many.

This is a good opportunity (kinda)for the UAL folks getting kicked to the street. I disagree with your assertion that it hurts anyone else.

Give me a break general! How long have you guys been crapping on those comair pilots? You and AA are one in the same.

UAL pilots keep jobs

Isn't that what you meant to say ~~~^~~~ ?

The headline for the last three years was actually Mesa and Skywest take jobs away from mainline pilots of UAL, USAirways, etc.

While Jets for Jobs is far from a good deal for anyone concerned it is at least a step in the right direction.

Your perspective just depends on which side of the fence you are sitting. It's called " The definition game ". People will always define what is just and fair based on how it affects them.

MLBWINGBORN brings up a good point about Mesa and having both USAirways and UAL pilots participating in J4J. I find it ironic how the new hire United pilots of a few years ago were screaming that USAirways pilots would go on the bottom of any combined list since their " career expectations " were so much better. Now they will quite possibly be flying right seat for a furloughed USAirways pilot at a disliked regional with poor work rules. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in one of those cockpits.

Typhoonpilot

Last edited:
fracflyer said:
The United guys will be at the bottom of the senority list and be behind everyone else. The second year pay difference they'll be making will be paid by United, not by the express carrier. So they're not getting anything more out of the express carrier that everyone else is. I don't think that's unfair to anyone. When the folks go back to UAL and the majors start hiring again then all the pilot will be leaving, so the furloughed people leaving will be few of many.

This is a good opportunity (kinda)for the UAL folks getting kicked to the street. I disagree with your assertion that it hurts anyone else.

How can you say it will not hurt anyone else? Remember all of the pay cuts at SkyWest and Airwisky? Guess where that money is going...

Regional pilots take a pay cut to finance the mainline furlough placement program, yeah that doesn't hurt anyone. The pay differnence is not being paid by United, it is being paid by Skywest and AirWhisky pilots.

Inconceivable

I was a regional airline pilot for a long time. I moved up to a bigger airline, and promptly got furloughed. I have all the sympathy in the world for pilots who are out of work, including my many, many friends who got furloughed from United.

That being said, this proposal is just appalling. Now United has created new financial obligations for itself, and funding them on the backs of underpaid, overworked regional airline pilots. They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

9g

Latest resources

Back