Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL MEC tough stance on Scope---keep it up!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dewey has a point. The best way to be a good ALPA member is to bring it all back home. The rest will sort itself out.

I've been sitting on the sidelines for this so far, but i'm gonna chime in now that i've seen alot of mainline guys who've come from us lowly regional jet operators clearly forgetting where they came from. YOU GUYS GAVE US THESE JETS. We didn't undercut any of you to get them. We were on your list via the flow through.

Since I work for Express Jet, plz allow me to speak as an Express Jet pilot. CAL wholly-owned us, everything from seniority numbers, CCS access, coair, uniforms, training etc was done to their standards and, with few exceptions, their employees. The IAH chief pilot for us was a bloody CAL flow up with recall rights till 2k8.

There was a flow-up/flow-down agreement in place that worked until you guys pussied up and wouldn't renew it after we voted in alpa over that faggot ass IACP scab factory of a union and got a contract better, much better, than yours (see Contract 04 work rules). A second year FO at XJT made more per hr than a first yr CAL FO on the 757. You guys spun us off to pay for your bankruptcy, then your executives have driven us almost into the dirt. Be it Mr Peanut Head Kellner or that blue blood prick from the Ivy Leagues, Smisek. We didn't do a thing to ya'll but provide extremely good feed for your hubs. Then you had to bring in chataqua and then give Colgan 80000 seat turboprops....

Anyway, if you want the flying we do back, fine, take it with my blessing, but don't sit their on your Righteous Boeing Cloud and reign down judgements on us, more than 40 percent of the Cal list came from Express. We wanted to be one list but you guys thought you were too good to fly something made in Brazil. That's fine too, but don't act like the reason you're still operating under concessionary contracts since 02 is because of us. If you need a person to blame, you need only look in a mirror...or at your MEC.

As for United being the pinnacle of experience and professionalism...ok, how many 300 hr chicks and minorities did ya'll hire in the 97-2000 era? Yeah, let's not forget about them or the SIU interns, etc who didn't even have an ATP you picked up. Admittedly they are likely furloughed now, but that notwithstanding, your poo doesn't exactly smell like roses, bro.

This conversation amuses me quite a bit. There is all this talk of ALPA pilots losing their jobs if CAL scope is maintained in the JCBA. What ALPA pilots?

Skywest: non union
ChaBrickury: Teamsters
Go-Jet: Alter-ego scum (Teamsters)
TSA, XJT: 50 seaters, unaffected by scope tightening
Mesa: Not sure if they fly 70s under the UAL banner, but if so I think they'd be the only ALPA regional to have flying returned to mainline.

Did I miss anyone?

As for the first year pay, remember that the industry standard (DAL, SWA, FDX, JBLU) is now around $50K a year and that will be implemented well before any scope tightening. Heck, we were already offered that in that DAL plus $1 joke from this spring. So sorry Rez, at least at this company, $30K probie pay (actually more like $27K) will be a thing of the past. After our combined almost 1600 furloughs are recalled, the days of newhire poverty at mainline should be long gone!

I think you forgot Colgan, but they are all turboprop anyhow. Maybe naive, but how is reigning in scope going to fix things in the short term? Obviously UAL doesn't have the cash to lease or buy the regional aircraft that they would be reclaiming. Mainline giving away scope created an entirely new industry. An industry that is making more money that Legacy carriers. Look at Skywest. They were able to buy ASA, Expressjet, Frontier, and Midwest. To my knowledge, UAL and CAL don't own a single aircraft that would be reclaimed by scope. The regional industry has a lobby that has rivaled ALPA at times. Do you really think CEO X at Brand Z regional is just going to pack up shop, give in, and give up his million dollar bonuses because you want your flying back?

I'm all for legacy carriers reclaiming scope. I've been stuck at this level with no prospect of moving up in the near future. Again, call me naive and confused, but how exactly is this going to take place? I'm sure I'll get 42 D-bag answers, but I'd actually like an educated one.

Thousands have made the jump and took the paycut.
their own choice. If the regional pilots lose thier job because of scope returns it will not be their choice...

Many were even furloughed. That is the risk.
for every pilot...

So let me get this straight, you want to increase pay and mitigate risk?
Not sure where you factor in risk... again the regional pilots lose thier jobs not at their own doing... you seem to not grasp this...

At the expense of whom? Management will surely take that out of mainline pilots' pockets. So who do you expect to pay for your proposal? Where will the concessions come from? Why don't you ask all of the junior regional FO's who will benefit by their newly found upgrade. The idea is just ridiculous...

Yogi
Again... what do you say to the ALPA pilots who are furloughed becuase of scope reversal? So sad too bad? Why? Just cuz?

I tell you what, Rez. How about if I get furloughed (ie. lose my job), your company has to pay me a rate higher than you are currently making. It's only fair since my hourly rate is far higher than yours. It shouldn't matter that you've been at your regional for umpteen years. All that matters is that my current pay should have value at your regional.
I don't think this would happen next week... eventhe most junior pilots at ML would be senior than the regional pilot that came over...

In your example of a 15 year RJ getting ratio'd at year 5 pay, you find it eminently fair that a pilot who never took a chance on his career should be rewarded with an enhanced pay scale.
Yes because he lost his job due to no fault of his own...

Potentially there are pilots who left that exact same carrier 4 years prior that would then be making less than some RJ captain who stayed at his relatively high pay scale and never took a chance or the initial pay cut. You find that fair, right?
Yet that RJ Capt would be junior... he would never make Capt before any current ML pilots...all the best FO seats would be awarded in to the ML pilots first in seniorty order...

You are asking to come to my carrier at a higher rate than I am currently on right now. But if I were to get furloughed, I doubt you would find it fair for me to be hired as a new hire at your company with a payscale higher than yours. Your idea of what is "fair" is well off of center of the Bell curve. I just hope that you are trying to stir the pot and don't truly believe the drivel you are typing.

The difference is the ML pilots are furloughed because their fellow pilots voted scope away.... the RJ Capt is furloughed because another pilot group took scope back...

Again, how are you harmed.. you just seem mad becasue you feel someone is getting something by you.... you will always have seniority over the RJ CA.......

Last edited:
I don't think this would happen next week... eventhe most junior pilots at ML would be senior than the regional pilot that came over...

Yes because he lost his job due to no fault of his own...

Yet that RJ Capt would be junior... he would never make Capt before any current ML pilots...all the best FO seats would be awarded in to the ML pilots first in seniorty order...

The difference is the ML pilots are furloughed because their fellow pilots voted scope away.... the RJ Capt is furloughed because another pilot group took scope back...

Again, how are you harmed.. you just seem mad becasue you feel someone is getting something by you.... you will always have seniority over the RJ CA.......

Too damn bad that things you do in life are a risk and things happen that are out of your control. Another main line guy is furloughed and a regional pilot is hired the circle goes around. No ALPA regional has come knocking on my door to offer me a job to work for them. So I don't think main line should have to offer them anything. As far as being an alpa member, I don't see any high flying banner out saying, "we are going to give preferential interviews to furloughed members". Bottom line, if a regional guy gets furloughed if and when I get my job back, oh f'ing well, let them suffer and endure the bs I and 1436 other pilots have endured.

I've been sitting on the sidelines for this so far, but i'm gonna chime in now that i've seen alot of mainline guys who've come from us lowly regional jet operators clearly forgetting where they came from. YOU GUYS GAVE US THESE JETS. We didn't undercut any of you to get them. We were on your list via the flow through.

Since I work for Express Jet, plz allow me to speak as an Express Jet pilot. CAL wholly-owned us, everything from seniority numbers, CCS access, coair, uniforms, training etc was done to their standards and, with few exceptions, their employees. The IAH chief pilot for us was a bloody CAL flow up with recall rights till 2k8.

There was a flow-up/flow-down agreement in place that worked until you guys pussied up and wouldn't renew it after we voted in alpa over that faggot ass IACP scab factory of a union and got a contract better, much better, than yours (see Contract 04 work rules). A second year FO at XJT made more per hr than a first yr CAL FO on the 757. You guys spun us off to pay for your bankruptcy, then your executives have driven us almost into the dirt. Be it Mr Peanut Head Kellner or that blue blood prick from the Ivy Leagues, Smisek. We didn't do a thing to ya'll but provide extremely good feed for your hubs. Then you had to bring in chataqua and then give Colgan 80000 seat turboprops....

Anyway, if you want the flying we do back, fine, take it with my blessing, but don't sit their on your Righteous Boeing Cloud and reign down judgements on us, more than 40 percent of the Cal list came from Express. We wanted to be one list but you guys thought you were too good to fly something made in Brazil. That's fine too, but don't act like the reason you're still operating under concessionary contracts since 02 is because of us. If you need a person to blame, you need only look in a mirror...or at your MEC.

As for United being the pinnacle of experience and professionalism...ok, how many 300 hr chicks and minorities did ya'll hire in the 97-2000 era? Yeah, let's not forget about them or the SIU interns, etc who didn't even have an ATP you picked up. Admittedly they are likely furloughed now, but that notwithstanding, your poo doesn't exactly smell like roses, bro.

Well said....The truth hurts, but the mainline MEC's and ALPA made this bed....

It' time to turn the big ship around.....

Actually, the time to turn the ship around was 15 years ago....Now that you have hit the iceberg you want to turn the ship around....too late...We can rearrange the chairs on the deck if you would like, but it's far too late to turn the ship around....

From a fellow Expressjet guy who saw it happen too......the above about sums it up. Day late and a dollar short guys. We could have changed this industry, 6 years ago. Now it is what it is.

Latest resources

Back