Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL MEC standing tough for tighter Scope---listen up United Express people...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A few observations. Mainline gave away scope. No matter how much the General spins and twists, this is an irrefutable fact. Mainline must fix the problem they created. It would be nice if they would fix the problem without trying to paint the pilots that they willingly (and stupidly) outsourced their jobs to as substandard. But if that is the only way to get mainline to finally man up and get rid of outsourcing, we should all be willing to hold our collective noses and encourage them to fix this problem. In the long run, it will benefit all pilots.

I am still a LONG way from being a lifer here (hopefully won't be) I am just tired of being looked down on as if I am not already doing basically the same job that a DC-9 pilot is doing. Tell me how much difference there is between operating a CRJ9 on a 4 day and operating a DC93 on a 4 day. The DC9 flys 75 passengers in from PVD to DTW. They all got off the plane, walk to a new gate, all board my flight and I take them to DFW. Yet I am not qualified to fly them from PVD to DTW???? If you really feel this way then you need to demand YOUR management have total control in all of the hiring and training of ALL flights that are operated for the people that buy tickets on your airline. You want everything both ways. Face it we are already a part of your company in every way but pay, work rules, and respect. Every company has its share of dumbarses, both at mainline and its contract carriers. An astronaut interview is not going to prevent that.

Apparently you don't know much about the DC9. It is a labor intensive machine (especially when compared to an RJ).

Apparently you don't know much about the DC9. It is a labor intensive machine (especially when compared to an RJ).
No reason to get bored then!

Now here's a question for you DC-9 drivers: Can you deploy reverse thrust in flight? I read about Aeroméxico Flight 498, the one that collided with a PA-28 over L.A. and one article states that AMX Captain Arturo Valdes Prom applied full reverse as he was dropping out the sky. Truth or journalistic fantasy?

The pic of the DC-9 falling out of the sky still gives me the creeps ... :(

(Sorry for sidetracking)

No reason to get bored then!

Now here's a question for you DC-9 drivers: Can you deploy reverse thrust in flight? I read about Aeroméxico Flight 498, the one that collided with a PA-28 over L.A. and one article states that AMX Captain Arturo Valdes Prom applied full reverse as he was dropping out the sky. Truth or journalistic fantasy?

The pic of the DC-9 falling out of the sky still gives me the creeps ... :(

(Sorry for sidetracking)
There's nothing to stop you from intentionally doing it.

Ground shift keeps the isolation valve closed and separates them from respective hyd system but accumulator pressure will open them.

DC-9-10 up to and inccluding MD-88.

Last edited:
There's nothing to stop you from intentionally doing it.

Ground shift keeps the isolation valve closed and separates them from respective hyd system but accumulator pressure will open them.

DC-9-10 up to and inccluding MD-88.

Except maybe the will to live!

Almost 25 years ago, but not forgotten

There's the article I came across:

excerpt:

In the cockpit of Aeromexico Flight 498, Pilot Arturo Valdes Prom was helpless. Glistening behind him in the noonday sun were the falling remains of his plane's horizontal stabilizer, a part of the tail that is vital to maintaining control. Also fluttering to the ground was the fuselage of a single-engine Piper Cherokee Archer that had collided with the DC-9 on the virtually cloudless day. Trying to slow the dive of his 60-ton plane, Valdes threw its two engines into reverse thrust. The whine of the jets grew to an awful roar before the airliner smashed with a fiery explosion into a pleasant middle-class neighborhood of suburban Cerritos, where residents had been enjoying the Labor Day weekend.

Then you missed the point. I could have compared it to flying a kite. The point was in dealing with the same group of passengers as we do already. Not in who has a more difficult plane to fly. Try flying a Saab (pre FMS) constantly dealing with being right in the middle of the weather and flying into little podunk airports with no ILS available. Would that be a better comparison?

Latest resources

Back