UAL MEC Endorses 14.7% Paycut

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lequip said:
Every UAL pilot that is still on the payroll is still making six figures +++. I wont loose too much sleep over their paycuts. .
How in the he!! do you figure this?

If you guys wanna know about ALPA this and ALPA that, why don't you attend the traditional 15% attendance rate LEC meeting. You pick the damm phone and call your elected officer that was elected with a 30% voter turn out... you know the one you didn't vote for even though it is done online and takes less than 3 minutes!

You want to know about ALPA. Look in the mirror. All the answers are right there!!

Lequip said:
Every UAL pilot that is still on the payroll is still making six figures +++. I wont loose too much sleep over their paycuts. I just really feel bad for all the women and minorities whose silver platter handed career was yanked away.
I am still waiting for my silver platter from FedEx. Where is it? I meet the minimums for God's sake!

(For those of you that don't know me....I am being sarcastic)

Rez O. Lewshun said:
If you guys wanna know about ALPA this and ALPA that, why don't you attend the traditional 15% attendance rate LEC meeting. You pick the damm phone and call your elected officer that was elected with a 30% voter turn out... you know the one you didn't vote for even though it is done online and takes less than 3 minutes!

You want to know about ALPA. Look in the mirror. All the answers are right there!!
Ding! Ding! Ding!

Very well put. I just love how people want to blame ALPA for United being the highest paid pilots in the world when they signed their contract. I'm sure they would say, "Well Management signed the contract, it was really Management giving that to the pilots out of the goodness of their hearts." Then, when Management decided to do a stock buy-back when the stock was $80 a share (soon to be worth nothing), spend over $100 million on a corporate jet unit named Avolar which never got off the ground, waste tens of millions on a failed buyout of U.S. Air, its all ALPA National's fault. What in the F could ALPA have said or done to prevent United (Mis)Management from stepping on their on diks?

Answer: Nothing.

No matter how strong or dedicated a pilot group is, we will always be at the mercy of utter incompetence.

Lequip said:
Every UAL pilot that is still on the payroll is still making six figures +++. I wont loose too much sleep over their paycuts. I just really feel bad for all the women and minorities whose silver platter handed career was yanked away.

I am sure your dad's plus-40% pay differences over women who were working in the same position, or substantial oppertunities in the 60s/70s over minorities did not help you in any way pay for your toys, baseball practices, grade school, first car, prom date, SAT/ACT prep tests, college(if any), flight school, lost of job protection,etc.....oh, Thats right, it is probably in your opinion that "those people" are less able to start out with. Nevermind, back to UAL.

Trash8Mofo said:
I am sure your dad's plus-40% pay differences over women who were working in the same position, or substantial oppertunities in the 60s/70s over minorities did not help you in any way pay for your toys, baseball practices, grade school, first car, prom date, SAT/ACT prep tests, college(if any), flight school, lost of job protection,etc.....oh, Thats right, it is probably in your opinion that "those people" are less able to start out with. Nevermind, back to UAL.
By making an assumption that the above is true is just as rascist or sexist as those you rail against.

Must be hard geting in the cockpit with that chip on your shoulder.

Trash8-- I have to disagree with you. In the early 90's, UAL hired a large number of females and minority applicants with significantly less experience than many who didn't get so much as an interview.

Highly experienced pilots who didn't meet the EEOC-inspired criteria stayed on the street.

The vast majority of us don't care who we sit next to in the cockpit--as long as they have the experience and training to do their job. Hiring a 500 hour individual with wet ink on their multi rating into the right seat of a 737 doesn't meet that standard.TC

Oh yeah, back on topic...

ALPA didn't put up a fight because there is nothing to fight with. The only option is to make UA management 1113 them and then invoke self help. Mutual assured destruction.

Unless pilots get the balls to risk their jobs, management has won the battle and the war. No one stood up for CAL and refused to fly former CAL routes. Same with EAL. AA pilots gleefully flew the LHR routes that Icahn stole from TWA and sold to AA. The PanAm pilots even got the shaft from their Delta "brothers" and so on.

What is happening to pilots at the "majors" today has its roots in the inactivity of ALPA and the greed of its members over the past 30 years.

We are all 'independant contractors' now. Every man for himself.TC

Finally!

Rez O. Lewshun said:

Someone who understands accountability!

Ty Webb said:
By making an assumption that the above is true is just as rascist or sexist as those you rail against.

Must be hard geting in the cockpit with that chip on your shoulder.
Which assumption is that you are referring? Is is the fact that women do get paid about 40% less, or minorities were more so discriminated against in the 60s and 70s? Are these not facts? Or was it the statement that said a "silver-platter handed to them" not impling that those who were hired do not deserve as such.

Latest resources

Back