Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spooky 1 said:
Boeingman

Unfortunetly your statement is absolutely on target. If I were a UAL guy with some significant B767/777/747 command time I would be beating down the doors of the expat operations especially in Asia. You need to be under 57 for most positions and yes it will never be like the good times at UAL, but you will have respect and good equipment while you finish off your career, albeit, not the way you thought it would end. It could be worse.
Exactly. Who on earth wants to retire under those conditions coming at UAL?

Of course no one wants to do it that way but it might be the only choice in some cases. I suspect that you are not one of those who would consider this avenue. On the other hand many of us have found this course to be very attractive even though it was not the way it was intended from the start. There are hundreds of former CAL, EAL, TWA and Pan Am pilots who have adjusted quite well to this type of flying. There are those though who will not like this at all and probably should not even think about the consequences of this career move. Its been noted insome circles recently that certain airline groups do not addapt to this option well at all, and in some cases potential employeers are very reluctant to accepting serious applications from these groups based upon real experiences with pilots that they have hired.

On the other hand what are the alternatives? Flying a B747/777/767 out of Seoul, Taipei or some other Asian capital could be better than no employment at all. I am not telling you this is the way for everyone, but it is an alternative career path for some. BTW it pays fairly well compared to the current UAL/DAL/USAir and AA rates for equivelent equipment. Leave it at that and if it works for you, great. If not then what ever else works. I have a hard enough time managing my own mistakes so I probably should not give any advice to others.

Spineless Hypocrites!

Where is the fight from UAL ALPA, or US ALPA???

In '83 when CO took us Chap11, and striped the pilots of their pay, retirement, etc. UA, and every other pilot group called for CO pilots to stand up for the injustice to labor brought by that managment. And thats what they did, went on strike for the proffession.

UA pilots then called those who chose to work "scabs" for going to work to keep there jobs and a paycheck, even without a pension and at lower payrates.

Well look in the mirror now UAL pilots because you have sunk to the same self loathing position, "this is all about me", "you don't walk in my shoes", as any scab ever did here at CO. No UAL pilot ever, ever has a right to say anything to a single CO pilot again with regards; one way or another to '83. The MEC Chairman at CO, that crossed the line in '83 now has twice as much backbone as any one in the UAL pilot group!

Spooky 1 said:
Its been noted insome circles recently that certain airline groups do not addapt to this option well at all, and in some cases potential employeers are very reluctant to accepting serious applications from these groups based upon real experiences with pilots that they have hired.
Spooky,

Can you tell us who these particular "airline groups" are ? Come on...we won't tell anyone !!

Solution

Here is a simple and easy solution that gives management what it wants and helps the pilots save face.

The companies always complain about fuel, fuel, fuel SO
when fuel gets above XXX dollar amount pilots wages change to concessionary. If they fall below XXX value they are at athe existing levels.

I know this does not take into account, hedging, bulk purchases etc, but it will make management make smarter decisions and not always use pilot salaries as the saving grace.

What happens when fuel gets below 30 a barrel, then where does the cost saving go, Bonuses. It better not

D

Bafanguy,

Well unfortunetly the airline that we both worked for comes to mind. As you may recall a number of the guys went out and bought their 747 ratings with an eye towards going to work in Europe. When the rubber met the road they folded their cards and went home like a bunch of whiners (which in many cases I am afraid they were). I don't think many UAL guys have made the transition which is suprising for any number of reasons. First of all they are a well trained group of professionals. Secondly they should be pretty darn familiar with the Far East and the little nuances that come with the territory. Probably just the fact that there is still something to cling to at UAL as kept them from filling so many of the vacancies that are out there at the moment. Maybe that will change with the most recent developments.

Spooky,

...ah so...I'd heard about the 747 deal with Air Atlanta Icelandic, or one of their companies.

I have listened to so many UAL and USA Pilots ask those at the LCC's to " Hold the Line in the race for the bottom" So guys hold the line huh! With this paycut that puts AAI, SWA and JBLU in the top teirs. The Industry has not come too me, it went below. Our managment asked us for cuts from 12% to high 20's. We said "Nope". I guess what I am saying is I don't want to hear anymore Shi7. Ok, Flame away.

Last edited:
This is very fishy

Something occured to me today as I was reading all about these paycuts. The way ALPA didnt put up a fight about the pension changes makes me believe that maybe UAL and ALPA national are in bed on another hotbed issue...................

The age 60 retirement.

Wy ALPA didnt fight this harder?????

Maybe they said listen UAL get this through and we will raise the retirement age to 65.

Thoughts

DISCLAIMER this is mere speculation and I only posted this here to see what others thought of my conspiracy theory.

And I posted this same thought on another thread. so you are ready this twice.

Every UAL pilot that is still on the payroll is still making six figures +++. I wont loose too much sleep over their paycuts. I just really feel bad for all the women and minorities whose silver platter handed career was yanked away.

Latest resources

Back