UAL Liquidation?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Kugelblitz

Not to make light of this notion, nor to treat it with some sense of detached amusement, but has anyone out there heard about United ceasing operations sometime next month? I know this is a sensational statement (not that one would expect that to happen on this website) but we have had some company management types (CAL) make remarks along these lines and just last night a furloughed UAL pilot stated the same thing.

Anyone else hear about this?

I think you mean Chrysler.

You would expect that things would be better among the airlines with lower fuel prices (although UAL may have hedged higher). I guess business travel is really starting to scale back and that's hurting everyone...

UAL has been a ship without a rudder for a very long time.

WOW!!! I doub it....but if this is tru it will put tons of people on the street!!! mainline, regionals, IAD, ORD, hope the goverment intervine...

I really hope is not true!!!

Highly doubt it. there would be rumors of a Ch 11 filing first, and while UAL is cutting a lot more than others, I don't think they're that close to the edge.

Highly doubt it. there would be rumors of a Ch 11 filing first, and while UAL is cutting a lot more than others, I don't think they're that close to the edge.

My thoughts as well, but hearing this from 2 different sources gave me some pause about outright discounting this rumor. I had heard that UAL did not have enough cash to get through the winter, and I would assume that they would need a large chunk of liquidity on hand to satisfy their bankruptcy exit - so you could see where this is not a complete impossibility. Nonetheless, you would think the business media would already be all over this one.

Barrak being from Illinois or not, I doubt the gov. intervention idea. Further runs on the money printing press are going to get more and more difficult to obtain as time goes on. At some point the government is going to have to let some painful realities of our economy heal itself and continued sustenance of failing companies won't last forever. For our part at CAL, the internal scuttlebutt is that our management has told our training department to prepare to retool itself and to anticipate getting all of our furloughees back by spring and to hire by this fall.

My understanding is that the hiring is partly in response to CAL managements reaction to the situation at UAL. Only time will tell, but I can tell you that the notion of a merger between us 2 is seeming more distant as time goes on and UAL continues to deteriorate. There are absolutely no rumors of talks between the 2 airlines in this area and our unions haven't spoken since last spring when the merger was discussed.

Last edited:
There are absolutely no rumors of talks between the 2 airlines in this area and our unions haven't spoken since last spring when the merger was discussed.[/quote]

The two unions have been talking in the last few months. There was a picture taken not too long ago of both communication committees meeting at UAL ALPA's office.

UAL will not liquidate they are just putting themselves in a dire situation so when we do merge the DOJ will not object. This is a crappy way to do business but that is what UAL management has reduced themselves to.

Latest resources

Back