Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

densoo

UAL LEC 34 sells out 1437 brethren

And CAL's as well. Unbelievable. May as well take off your uniform now and put on your suit and tie and report to Chigaco HQ for your new management position.

UAL Council 34

By now you have heard of plans by the new United Airlines to operate some 70-seat United Express flights out of Continental hub cities. This has been characterized by some as an intentional action on the part of management meant to insult the pilot group. You should be assured that this is not the case.

Now that the corporate merger has closed, United Airlines is one company operating two separate airlines. This is an arrangement we are obligated to maintain until we reach a joint Collective Bargaining Agreement, until ALPA completes the seniority integration of the CAL and UAL pilot groups, and until we obtain a single operating certificate from the FAA. The provisions of the CBA recognize this transition period and allow cooperation with United flights, whether it be for a United flight they have chosen to operate with a 150-seat jet or for a flight United has chosen to operate with a 70-seat jet.
The 70-seaters are not United flights. They are outsourced flights that put 1437 of your brethren on the street. I'm sure the UAL '98 hire is pleased to hear you fully support their continued pain.

Further, they violate CAL's contractual scope clause which has not been terminated nor amended by any legal authority due to a corporate merger. It remains in effect until a JCBA says it doesn't.

We are working to optimize our combined network in order to increase our feeds through the hubs. This feed will flow onto larger mainline jets and create jobs for mainline pilots in larger aircraft – it is part of a strategy that allowed Continental to offer recall to all 148 pilots we had on furlough. We are using the assets available to the new United to enhance your future, not harm it.

The Company believes that optimizing our network in this way does not violate the contract– we would not do it if we thought it did.
"We" are working? You got a mouse in your pocket? You are not 70-seaters. You are mainline. "They" are management, using 70-seaters to take your flying from you, and now you are helping them to take flying from CAL.

CAL recalled pilots due to outsourced flying? You have got to be kidding. That line was sold to CAL pilots 10 years ago. 274 50-seat RJs later and hiring stop dead-cold. That was something like 8 years ago. CAL furloughs were punishment for CAL MEC refusing JV flying (Aer Lingus ring a bell?). Their recalls are because CAL flat out can't fly the schedule anymore without them.

Wake up. Outsourced flying never returns to you, and never creates mainline jobs. I hope you don't have to go through 10 years of what CAL pilots went through to realize this.

Last edited:
Dude, I think you better go back and read that again. That top part is starley's word out to us saying "don't look behind the curtain". UAL 34 didn't say that, unless I've missed something that looks exactly like starley' s peice. that's all staarley's man. Get that down, you need to go take a look. Don't start any Sh!t now.

Ready.....

Aim........ BANG

Alright who shot? Who shot? You number 7, come over here. Give me that gun, go stand over there and be quiet!

IBM's Play of the week "You make the call"!

CAL COUNCIL 171 LEC UPDATE

All,
Thank you for your patience this past week as I dealt with a family matter. I am happy to report that my father is doing much better, and I sincerely appreciate all the well wishes.
Yesterday, Sherry attended a special MEC meeting with my proxy. The MEC was briefed on the current SCOPE and R&I positions along with an overview of the ridiculous opening proposal from management. However, I am happy to report that it appears that our stalemate over pay banding has been resolved. I’m including excerpts from the recent communication from our brothers and sisters at UAL Council 34 in SFO. We agree with them on the common enemy and look forward to uniting in this fight.
Speaking of fighting the common enemy, please see the special notice below from our SPSC regarding our picketing events next week in IAH. Sherry will be flying but know that she will be there in spirit. I want every one of you to join me on Tuesday even though I suspect there will be plenty more opportunities for all of us to wear out the soles of our shoes in the near future! I’ve included the recent communication from management presenting their justifications for attempting to violate our Collective Bargaining Agreement along with my comments. I’m absolutely taken aback by their arrogant attitude. Couple this with their insulting opening position on our contract, and I think you can agree that we have a long way to go to find common ground. I do hope you all are getting yourselves financially prepared for what could be a long fight.
Now more than ever, demonstrating your unity with your union is imperative. So is demonstrating our unity with our UAL brothers and sisters. We welcome their support in defending our Section 1. You will see them on our picket line. Take a minute to say thanks. Seek out our future co-workers in the terminal and introduce yourself. We are all ALPA pilots and together we are in the collective fight of our careers. Finally, WEAR YOUR PIN! If you need one, let me know. That little gold set of wings sends an awfully loud message to management. As always, Fly Smart, and FLY SAFE!
--Brett
Item 1: Friday, November 12, 2010 Management Communication—Mycomments are in Red!
UA Flights from CO Hubs
By now you have heard of plans by the new United Airlines to operate some 70-seat United Express flights out of Continental hub cities. Yep, we have. It really hasn’t set well with any of the IAH pilots who have called to express their concern.This has been characterized by some as an intentional action on the part of management meant to insult the pilot group. So it appears! You should be assured that this is not the case. Oh really? What assurances do we have?
Now that the corporate merger has closed, United Airlines is one company operating two separate airlines. Yes, and we will continue to do so until such time that labor agrees that we will proceed. This is an arrangement we are obligated to maintain until we reach a joint Collective Bargaining Agreement, until ALPA completes the seniority integration of the CAL and UAL pilot groups, and until we obtain a single operating certificate from the FAA. We agree. So why are you insistent on violating our Collective Bargaining Agreement in a way that never would have been permitted prior to the merger? The provisions of the CBA recognize this transition period and allow cooperation with United flights, whether it be for a United flight they have chosen to operate with a 150-seat jet or for a flight United has chosen to operate with a 70-seat jet. Uh, those 70 seaters aren’t just UAL flights, they have the Continental code, and the transition provisions address moving toward a United code, not a CO code. Plus, they are not applicable to the carriers that are not engaged in the merger, such as Shuttle America and Skywest, and they do not override other protections in Scope, such as our express carrier and code sharing provisions. And, as long as our CBA is in effect, we plan to fight that outscourcing. Plus, the Company well knows that the 70 seat outsourcing is an important issue in our JCBA negotiations in which the parties are far apart, yet they planned these actions without waiting for us to reach a new JCBA. They are outsouced flights that harm UAL ALPA pilots as much as they harm CAL ALPA pilots. We are working to optimize our combined network in order to increase our feeds through the hubs. This feed will flow onto larger mainline jets and create jobs for mainline pilots in larger aircraft – it is part of a strategy that allowed Continental to offer recall to all 148 pilots we had on furlough. We are using the assets available to the new United to enhance your future, not harm it. Ok, so we are supposed to believe that violating our Section 1: SCOPE is now being done to enhance our careers? You’ve got to be kidding us! Go ask the 1437 furloughed UAL pilots. They parked their entire 737 fleet because of outsourcing of 70 seat jets. This is rhetoric right out of “Confessions of a Union Buster.” Folks, if management really thinks we will fall for this, they’ve got a long way to go in understanding the resolve of this pilot group when it comes to protecting our careers and our families’ futures.
The Company believes that optimizing our network in this way does not violate the contract (management would never believe this, would they?) – we would not do it if we thought it did. I bet they have some swamp land for sale, too! We have shared our explanation of this with ALPA and remain committed to working quickly through the issue with them, offering to take the issue to a neutral third-party arbitrator on an expedited basis if we cannot resolve it between ourselves. At the same time we will continue to meet with the ALPA Joint Negotiating Committee to quickly develop new work rules and compensation rates which will govern our combined airline going forward. We agree. It is time that you all GET SERIOUS and learn to say yes, rather quickly!
As we have asked the chairmen of both the United and Continental MECs to pass along to you, we appreciate the hard work you do and the focus you have kept on running a safe and reliable airline in spite of all the distractions around us which are unavoidable through the merger. If you sincerely believe and appreciate our hard work, then it is time to step up, and reach a new JCBA that recognizes the industry leaders we are. If you thought for a minute that any merger distractions would affect our professionalism then you have severely underestimated the caliber of folks who command your aircraft.
Folks, I see this as nothing more than more NOISE by management. Your union met this week. Rest assured, your Houston Reps see this type of communication for the UNION BUSTING TACTICS that it is. We actually have pilots (some who sub in the CPO) who believe that giving up SCOPE is a good thing. Sherry and I understand the dire consequences to each and every one of you if we were to give one millimeter.

Item 2: UNITED AGAINST OUTSOURCING: SPSC EVENTS
ALPA was recently informed of the new United management’s plan to implement outsourced jet flying from CAL hubs, with a CAL code, with jets larger than 50 seats. This is in violation of current language in the Continental CBA. It also clearly violates the intent of existing CBA protections. Furthermore, this is an obvious attempt to leverage a position in joint contract negotiations supporting further outsourcing of mainline pilot jobs. This affects the livelihood of every pilot that will be working for the new United and possibly across the entire industry. Outsourcing is not the path to creating a premier airline.
Management’s outdated philosophy of farming out flying to the lowest bidder must stop now. We are an airline, not a ticket agency. Contractual protections must be honored and further attempts to outsource, either in violation of CBA protections or via joint contract negotiations, will be met with a strong and unified response.
Every legal avenue will be pursued to fight the blatant attack on Continental’s scope protections to protect the futures of all United/Continental pilots. As part of that response, both the CAL and UAL MEC Chairmen have collectively mobilized the Strategic Preparedness & Strike Committees (SPSC) to organize informational picketing. Initial demonstrations will be at the two largest Continental hubs in Newark and Houston, followed closely by an event at United World Headquarters in downtown Chicago. These events are timed to take place during the busy Thanksgiving travel rush at Continental hubs and match the launch of the holiday shopping season in downtown Chicago.
Pilots from all airlines are encouraged to attend.
Specific details are as follows:
Newark
Monday, Nov. 22
1100: Meet at C-3 Food Court in Terminal C, Newark Liberty Airport.
1100-1400: Informational picketing.
Attire: Full winter uniform with hats. Should weather dictate, top coats and/or gloves are allowed.
Please RSVP to: [email protected]
Houston
Tuesday, Nov. 23
1030: Meet at CAL MEC offices. (3808A World Houston Pky, behind Sheraton North Hotel.)
1100-1300: Informational picketing at IAH Airport and static picket line on JFK Blvd.
Attire: Full winter uniform with hats.
Please RSVP to: [email protected]
(The Sheraton North Hotel is adjacent to CAL MEC offices and their shuttle is available for transportation from the airport. Sheraton: 281-442-5100. Supplemental van service will be offered by the CAL MEC from 0930-1030 every 10-15 mins. Pick up upper level Terminal E.)
Chicago
Wednesday, Dec. 1
1100-1300: Informational picketing at United World Headquarters, 77 W. Wacker Drive, Chicago.
Attire: Full winter uniform with hats. Should weather dictate, top coats and/or gloves are allowed.

Item 3: IAH 737 Schedules for December 2010

As all of our IAH 737 pilots are, the December 2010 schedules are just plain ugly. Your leadership has been briefed. We believe the issues clearly lie in the hands of management. A split schedule that puts almost 25% more flying in the holiday half of the month than in the first 14 days is bad enough. 4 day pairings (the largest group in IAH) that average 5 hrs per day, but contain a large number that average between 2.5 and 4.5 hours per day, mean extreme homogenization of the lines. Add to the mix an average line value over 85 hours per pilot in December, and you have a recipe for a very unhappy pilot group.

If you suspect your line was awarded in error, go to the Flight Operations Website <PBS Button> to file a dispute resolution form. If your line was awarded correctly yet you are unhappy with this December mess served up by management, call or write your Chief Pilot to express your displeasure. You can also include anyone in Flight Operations Management in your communication.
Where do we go from here? Under no circumstance will your union accept a contract the does not contain Trip, Duty, and Minimum Day rigs. Further, we will not allow the company the line value flexibility (averages in the mid to upper 80’s) that they carelessly use without thought. If they do not know how to make a decent pie, we will teach them how.

Item 4: Our Hat’s Are Off to ALPA President John Prater

This is a direct quote from his BOD Update of November 19, 2010.

It is with great pleasure that I alert ALPA’s Board of Directors of the recent events regarding security screening. Today, TSA headquarters personnel briefed ALPA on new checkpoint screening practices that will have a major, positive impact on all airline pilots. And your union played a crucial role in bringing about these latest developments.

The new protocols specify that uniformed flight and cabin crew personnel will not be subjected to checkpoint screening via Advanced Imaging Technologies (millimeter wave or x-ray backscatter). Instead, they will be screened using walk-though metal detector (WTMD) and standard “localized” pat-downs to resolve anomalies, as necessary. TSA has extended these same security rules to all non-U.S. pilots including all Canadian pilots. I had the pleasure of personally informing the Canada Board this afternoon of this most welcome news.

TSA also informed us that the agency is taking actions to expedite the use of CrewPASS for pilots to gain entrance into airport sterile areas. TSA Administrator John Pistole stated that pilots are “trusted partners who ensure the safety of millions of passengers flying every day. Allowing these uniformed pilots, whose identify has been verified, to go through expedited screening at the checkpoint just makes for smart security and an efficient use of our resources.”
I could not have said it any better myself. Further, in their statement TSA acknowledged and gave credit to ALPA for helping develop the concept. As was announced earlier this week, TSA is taking definitive, enhanced action to foster increased roll-out of expedited access protocols for uniformed crewmembers by immediately removing the biometric component previously required as a part of CrewPASS.

In addition, TSA is looking for one technical solution, open to multiple vendors, for an interoperable, nationwide system. We have had multiple conversations with vendors this week on that very subject and are helping lay the ground work for what we believe will be a completely interoperable and robust security system. The agency indicated that it would conduct another stakeholder conference call on this subject next week and I will inform you of any new developments.

_____
Excerpts from UAL Council 34 Chairman’s Report (Reprinted with Captain Lemaire’s permission)

November 19, 2010

Ladies and Gentlemen of Council 34,

At the conclusion of the Council Meeting on Monday, it was very apparent to Mike, Ben, and me that there is much pessimism amongst the pilots. However, we are here to tell you that things are moving in a positive direction.

Last week, Mike and I attended a special MEC Meeting in Denver. We received briefings from the MEC Officers as well as lengthy presentations from both the Negotiating and Merger Committees. Also in attendance was Mr. Jeff Freund, our Merger counsel. The MEC spent the better part of a day listening to and asking questions of these people. During our meeting, based on additional information we received, we refined our direction to the Negotiating Committee. We believe that this will facilitate a resolution to the logjam we currently find ourselves with the CAL MEC. Captain Morse will be meeting soon with Captain Pierce to affect a positive resolution to this predicament.

It is the opinion of the UAL MEC that there should be no logical reason why the pay-banding conundrum we currently find ourselves cannot be resolved. Mike, Ben, and I are also confident that this pay-banding hurdle will be quickly overcome and without fanfare. Once this is accomplished, the United pilots, including our brothers and sisters at CAL, can rightly focus on the real prize—the attainment of an Industry Leading Contract for the pilots.

At this point, I am sure you have all read about Smisek’s slap in the face to the CAL pilots and his blatant disregard of their CBA. His management team, possibly in violation of CAL’s Scope Clause and the Transition and Process Agreement, will move 70-seat RJs into their EWR and IAH hubs. He has fired the first shot in what will be a highly contested battle over Scope. Both the CAL and UAL SPCs will be picketing in IAH, EWR, as well as Wacker Drive in the coming weeks to protest this egregious breach of common sense. As usual, leave it to management to coalesce a pilot group into a focused and unified powerhouse with a singular goal of an Industry Leading Contract.

Assessments

At the special MEC Meeting, Captain Genovese, UAL MEC Secretary-Treasurer, briefed the MEC on both the Merger and Furlough funds. The current rate of assessment is 0.5% for Merger and 0.05% for Furlough for a total of 0.55%. Beginning with the December 1 paycheck, the rates will be changed to 0.25% for Merger and 0.25% for Furlough for a total of 0.5%, a 0.05% decrease. Expect an end to the Merger assessment sometime early next year.

Closing

Ladies and gentlemen, this pilot group has been through an awful lot since that tragic day in September, 2001. We are nearing the finish line. Working through this differing pay philosophy with CAL will be remembered as nothing but a small blip on the radar. We are well on our way to attaining a JCBA and a single, unified pilot group. Along the way, we will encounter vast resistance from management. But together, under the auspices of the NMB, we will conclude this JCBA in a positive fashion. Please, stay focused on flying and keep the distractions of this merger out of the cockpit.

Fraternally,

Captain Antoine Lemaire
First Officer Mike Holman
First Officer Ben Landon

…Please remember our 147+1 brothers and sisters as the return from furlough…

Wow. I am sorry. Can't take it back, but I do extend my apologies to the UAL LEC 34 Captain Lemaire, First Officer Holman, and First Officer Landon, and the UAL pilots I've disprespected in this one.

It is absolutely clear I misread this as the whole paragraph is clearly prefaced, "Management Communication." But my real mistake was to be far to quick to cast stones at UAL pilot leadership and pilots.

No excuses and my apologies to all.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back