UAL Jumpseat ouf of SYD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyer1015

I've heard of pilots jumpseating to/from SYD on United, obviously not in the flight deck, but a coach seat. My question is, if one wants to jumpseat from Sydney back to SFO or LAX, what's the process? What's the official term for a international jumpseater? Where do I go at Sydney to list and pay taxes? I once heard that there is a specific term we have to us, like OCM travel?

Any step-by-step info appreciated!

You can PM instead of posting here if you wish.

Thank you!

The term is OMC, but that doesn't really matter - you're simply jumpseating. I've done this route many times and its very easy. They want you meal listed 24hrs in advance, so you should call to get listed. Something may have changed with the new system they are using, and they may try to charge you to list, in which case you may want to consider risking it and listing at the gate. You could say your travel plans changed last minute. The relief FOs are pretty good about introducing you to the purser, to help you get an upgrade. Only two jumpseaters allowed per flight, but I talked a captain into letting me go as the 3rd guy one time. It's easy, watch the loads and dress for the upgrade. Pay for the taxes at the ticket counter, they'll let you through security/customs just 30-40minutes before flight in SYD, but its plenty of time.

Last edited:
You can't call to list on United flights; everything is handled through SHARES which is the legacy Continental passenger service system. They should be able to take care of you at the ticket counter in SYD.

The term is OMC, but that doesn't really matter - you're simply jumpseating. I've done this route many times and its very easy. They want you meal listed 24hrs in advance, so you should call to get listed. Something may have changed with the new system they are using, and they may try to charge you to list, in which case you may want to consider risking it and listing at the gate. You could say your travel plans changed last minute. The relief FOs are pretty good about introducing you to the purser, to help you get an upgrade. Only two jumpseaters allowed per flight, but I talked a captain into letting me go as the 3rd guy one time. It's easy, watch the loads and dress for the upgrade. Pay for the taxes at the ticket counter, they'll let you through security/customs just 30-40minutes before flight in SYD, but its plenty of time.

TSk TSk..If you are L-UAL then you have obviously not been harmonized. The L-CAL term was jumpseat therefore there are no more OMC's Just jumpseaters.

Why do all the L-UAL guys call crew scheduling "Crew Desk?"

As though they all sit at one large desk with a huge messy pile of phones? Weird?

One in my crash pad always says "sheet, the Crew Desk is calling"....just sounds weird to me!

TSk TSk..If you are L-UAL then you have obviously not been harmonized. The L-CAL term was jumpseat therefore there are no more OMC's Just jumpseaters.

It's been almost a year since my last trip, so it sounds like things have changed. I'm an offline pilot, and simply answering the OP question that the terminology isn't important - he can just say he's jumpseating.

You can't call to list on United flights; everything is handled through SHARES which is the legacy Continental passenger service system. They should be able to take care of you at the ticket counter in SYD.
Let me know if this works. I tried to ride UAL back from LHR in the Spring, and the ticket counter where I've always gone to list and pay my departure taxes told me I could no longer list there, but had to list "online." When I told them that I wasn't a UAL employee, they had no idea how to handle me. I ended up buying a ticket home.

I jumpseated a month ago or at least tried to to/from Munich on UA. I had no problems procedurally in either direction. I walked up to the ticket counter at MUC and I was walked over to a window across the hall where I payed my departure taxes and got listed for the flight.

In the end, I was bumped from the UA flight and all the remaining nonrevers were warned to leave town since the loads were horrible over the next few days. I saw some other nonrevers head to the train for a 100€ ride up to FRA, while I walked up to the gate agent with zeds to all over Europe and a few cities in the U.S. I was able to make it on a nonstop to my hometown. That leads me to a word of advice. Always have backup zeds for alternate flights home. Last time I traveled down under with my family, I had zeds for UA, DL and QF. I was able to jumpseat in both directions, but you never know when you're going to get that funny look from a gate agent. It's always good to have options.

Once I was back to the states I was able to walk up to a UA ticket counter to get a refund for the taxes I had paid in MUC.

Latest resources

Back