UAL has net profit of $52M for Aug

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lowecur

Maybe Boyd is right. Not counting reorganization expenses, it looks like UAL had a net profit of $52M and an operating profit of $80M. Just think, this is without fuel hedges. Jetblue has fore warned of a 3rd Q loss. I guess once you jettison all the pensions, the global business model looks quite nice. I can see why Boyd is high on NWA after BK, and I don't see any reason DL can't adjust also(it's just some non-pension debts that they may not be able to rid themselves of that could hurt their business model). Personally, I'm beginning to believe that consolidation might be a thing of the past.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/050921/airlines_united_earns.html?.v=1

So what. All airlines would make a profit if they didn't have to pay their bills. This says nothing except it proves what a sorry state the airline industry is in. United doesn't deserve a dime. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
OMG, the end is near, UAL post another profit. Any predictions on the loss in the coming months?

Dizel8 said:
OMG, the end is near, UAL post another profit. Any predictions on the loss in the coming months?

We'll probably end up picking through your seat pockets for spare change. Can we borrow your rubber gloves?

Maybe UAL can pay back some of the money they owed their many creditors and retired employees with all this money they're making.

...SO IS IT A "REAL PROFIT" , or is it just another loss? Cook the books any way you want..

Reuters
UAL reports $30 mln net loss for August
Wednesday September 21, 3:43 pm ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - UAL Corp. (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News), parent of bankrupt United Airlines, said on Wednesday its August net loss was $30 million, with $82 million in expenses related to its reorganization.
ADVERTISEMENT

Excluding reorganization expenses, the No. 2 U.S. carrier reported a net profit of $52 million. The company said it had an operating profit of $80 million, up $92 million from August 2004.

Chief Financial Officer Jake Brace said in a statement the reversal of the August 2004 operating loss was the result of the company's restructuring in bankruptcy. The carrier has been in Chapter 11 since December 2002.

"The work we have done significantly improves United's ability to compete with the best U.S. airlines," Brace said.

United ended August with a cash balance of $2.8 billion, which included $917 million in restricted cash.

Last week, United received court approval for its schedule to exit Chapter 11 next year. United has said it aims to leave bankruptcy by February 1.

WhiteCloud said:
Maybe UAL can pay back some of the money they owed their many creditors and retired employees with all this money they're making.

Did you tell your customers how much you enjoyed the Airinc seminar?

Latest resources

Back