• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Goes unlimited j/s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I seriously hate to see jumpseaters just take a seat without seeing the flight deck.

There was a time when the jumpseat was quite the formality. Neck tie and all.

If we go to not having to check wth the Capt., the sense of entitlement will sky rocket. Next we'll have Clown Pilots ordering drinks while jumpseating.. Yes, believe it or not if you are going to jumpseat then you can't drink while on board. In fact you can't drink 12 hours prior to the request.

Since the PIC is repsonsible, I'd like to think he or she would like to know who is onboard his airplane and who he is responsbile for.... Let's not split hairs here.. the pax are paying cash. The company isn't asking jumpseaters to ride.

The protocol and formality of the jumpseat is getting more and more relaxed.

If there is anyplace that we as pilots need to self police, then it is the jumpseat. It is too valuable a priviledge for our quality of life to have a couple clown pilots ruin for all of us.

Jumpseaters always introduce themslelves to the PIC and REQUEST the jumpseat.

In fact you can't drink 12 hours prior to the request.

Where did you find that tidbit? You can FLY the plane within 8 hours.

You should request the jumpseat (not just assume and take it), you may not drink while jumpseating, and you may not show up under the influence of alcohol when trying to jumpseat. That's the way I understand it.

Last edited:
shagadelic said:
Where did you find that tidbit? You can FLY the plane within 8 hours.

You should request the jumpseat (not just assume and take it), you may not drink while jumpseating, and you may not show up under the influence of alcohol when trying to jumpseat. That's the way I understand it.

Common sense and the interest of protecting the jumpseat for all of us...

I never thought that my house rules applied to another carrier when requesting the jumpseat on THAT carrier. Most carriers have a 12 hours rule. To be consevative, and knowing that we don't have access to all carriers FOM, further knowing under the guise of jumpseating one is acting as a crew member, and further knowing... is a couple of drinks compared to a free ride and the risk of screwing up the whole jumpseat gig for all of us and making a name for yourself and your pilot group..really worth it...???

If you want to jumpseat, then jumpseat. If you want to drink, then drink. But don't mix the two. Drinking and jumpseating doesn't work. Pilots don't let fellow pilots jumpseat and drink...

Protect the jumpseat...it is one of the last real perks of this job.

Where in my post did you ever see any reference to mixing the two together? I simply said you may not show up under the influence. Never would I imply mixing drinking and jumpseating.

Don't get your panties in a wad about something that is not a problem. Our profession is not going down the tubes because we don't show up in a coat and tie for the jumpseat. We drive people from point A to point B safely and efficiently, and help out our brothers when they need it. They appreciate it and give thanks. That's it. Relax. Sorry for the thread creep. Now I need to commute home and sleep off that hangover...:D

You might not know about the management style at the legacy carriers and thier RJ vendors... Then again you probably have read the SWA Way. Coming from a carrier that negotiated 1-2-3-50 for its flight crews you live in a different world. In the legacy world, when liability riases its ugly head, management doesn't care about right/wrong, they just limit thier liability. They do this via immediate policy change and termination. IOW, you're fired and no more jumpseats.Combined with the earlier post in this thread about gate agents being pissed that UAL offers unlimited to off line when they have to pay to ride on thier own carrier. Management doesn't really care about the jumpseat except they know it is important to thier staffing model.Acutally you said...
You can FLY the plane within 8 hours.
Maybe at SWA... but not in the Legacy World.

Sorry I said anything...I really do wonder why I read this board....

Thanks United for the unlimited jumpseats! Hope to reciprocate any of your guys.

Hi,
1, I would like pilots to say Hi because god forbid I would than at least be able to utilze their talents if need be. Also its great to grip and grin with other airline pilots that I would not be able meet otherwise.
2, As to those in my firm that might be upset about pilots getting to and from work for supposedly free. To fu**ing bad. It was negotiated no one said here it is, have a nice day. We pilots at UAL have given up more than I can utter in polite society without really getting angry.
3, Last thought should be clear.

Welcome to all,
Birdman
BTV

WatchYourElbows said:
Question for all of you........as a commuter out of FLL, do you think they get a little tired of all the hello's? Seriously. I flew them the other day and there were 12 jumpseaters!!!! I wonder if we are disturbing them AND the boarding sometimes.

Jumpseated on UAL yesterday. I heard about the not having to check in with the captain from my jumpseat coordinator (thanks steve), but that went against everything I was taught so I went up and asked for permisson. The Captain said thanks for asking, but that we didn't have to do it anymore because if a flight had 30 jumpseaters, it would present quite a problem if all 30 people asked for a ride. He said that the only time you had to introduce yourself was if you were actually riding up front. I think that I will always ask unless a flight has a ton of jumpseaters, and then I will use common sense to the situation. Thanks UAL, you guys/gals are great!

According to the UAL ALPA J/S Chairman, the requirement to check in with the captain was arbitrarily changed by management. The original intent of the agreement was to have all jumpseaters check in with the Captain. Granted, it could be an onerous task if 30 pilots sign up, but it should still be up to the Captain to decide. And some Captains are very protective of the jumpseat priviledge. Some even like to look in their little yellow book.
At this point the J/S Chair is working with management to change the wording in the FOM and in the gate agents' manual to require a cockpit visit. Who knows when the change will come.
Until then, I would feel uncomfortable ambling back to the cabin without going to the flightdeck and requesting the seat.
Hog

Latest resources

Back