UAL getting 43 New 777's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Twotter Driver

A buddy called me today saying yahoo finance had an article stating that UAL had put an order in for 43 new 777's to replace older aircraft in UAL's widebody fleet. A split of 200's and 300's with the first to be delivered in late 2010. Then the article was removed from yahoo finance. Interesting none the less. It also stated UAL had options for up to 10 freighters. Maybe a premature news leak?? Any UAL folks hear similar info?

UALALPA,

This is Glen Tilton. I have announced an order for 43 777s which will dramatically better your career. We have procured financing contingent on our pilot contract. I know you have taken draconian pay cuts and had your quality of life degraded to that of a sewage plant blockage technician but in order to take delivery of these 43 aircraft, we cannot afford to give you any increases in your current contract. Concessions have not been discussed at this time but are of course a possibility.

Love,

Glen

Bait and switch for CAL. United and Tilton would love to have the merger (so he can cash out), so maybe he let it out so CAL would be more interested?? Probably is a hoax.

Bye Bye---General Lee

777 they merge with continental
A350XWB they merge with US Airways

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/chi-united-planeorder-nov19-,0,867224.story

chicagotribune.com

United close to first new plane order in more than a decade

By Julie Johnsson
Tribune reporter
7:17 PM CST, November 19, 2009

United Airlines is close to placing its first aircraft order in more than a decade and has narrowed its search to two ground-breaking airplanes: Boeing's 787 Dreamliner or Airbus's counterpart, the A350-XWB, sources told the Tribune.

United is being furiously courted by both Chicago-based Boeing Co. and France-based Airbus SAS, sources said, even though the carrier's finances appeared shaky just months ago.

Last edited:
I say an order first a merger eventually second...proly early mid 2010. UAL-CAL have to compete head on with the likes of DAL. Somebody has to shut up General Lee.

1) I think that thread on our internal forum was a hoax, which led to the start of this thread.

2) I don't think our management is stupid enough to believe that we're going to exchange pay for an aircraft order. Well, maybe they're stupid enough but we aren't.

3) I, for one, am not particularly excited about the anticipated order. If they're not growth aircraft and just replacement aircraft, well, I guess it's nice to have shiny new jets but it won't do much for our career prospects or those of the guys we have on the street and want to come back. We'll still have the worse management team in the business.

4) I'd second the opinion that if there is a 777-XXX order, the 747's will be gone at some point.

I say an order first a merger eventually second...proly early mid 2010. UAL-CAL have to compete head on with the likes of DAL. Somebody has to shut up General Lee.

NEVER! WE WILL CRUSH YOU! Whatever dude, I can't wait to see that seniority list merge.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back