• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Furloughees... We're supposed to have jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The problem with the whole thing is that if a person is furloughed at United they should flow to the Captains Seat at the regional....but they have it as going to the FO's seat....just shows the weakness in the Union.

For what reason should a furloughed pilot go to the Captain seat? What is it that you think entitles you to bypass other pilots at another company? Would you let furloughed pilots from another airline go to the left seat at UAL? What makes you "entitled"?

Any pilot group that gives you that privilege should only be classified as fools and suckers.

Last edited:
The deliveries that Skywest is taking are one for one Brasilia replacements. No net gain in the number of airframes. No pilot hiring.

For what reason should a furloughed pilot go to the Captain seat? What is it that you think entitles you to bypass other pilots at another company? Would you let furloughed pilots from another airline go to the left seat at UAL? What makes you "entitled"?

Any pilot group that gives you that privilege should only be classified as fools and suckers.

agreed!

Last edited:

Good to see you posting again!

In a situation where there is a net gain in airframes and pilot hiring is taking place, allowing furloughed mainline pilots to take the CA slots would be beneficial to your group because the slots that are being created as permanent, while the furloughed pilots filling them are only temporary. When the furloughee returns to his mainline carrier, those slots are all yours. Of course, this is only beneficial if the net gain in aircraft is conditional upon accepting the furloughed pilots into the left seats (ie. J4J). If you would be getting the airplanes either way, then you're in a great bargaining position and would have no reason to accept it.

The deliveries that Skywest is taking are one for one Brasilia replacements. No net gain in the number of airframes. No pilot hiring.

Reading the LOA, it never specifically states that a net gain in aircraft is a requirement. It only refers to "qualifying" aircraft being added to the fleet at the feeder carrier. On the other hand, there is language referring to position being added as "the normal course of business," which seems to imply that if positions aren't being created with hiring, then the LOA doesn't apply. I doubt they'll win the grievance, but they do have a shot.

Yet another example of ALPA's scope failure. Flowbacks and J4Js don't work....never have....

As a UAL furloughed pilot myself, I am not interested in any regional jobs. I was on the street for 6 months before I found a job and never once seriously considered any regional. Hopefully, you can find something other than those regionals with that lousy pay. I figure if I am going to work for as little as they pay, I may as well be home. Good luck.

What he said.

Its the regional express feed we (ALPA) needs to shrink and return our jobs to us at mainline.

No- alpa and alpa pilots definitely failed. Joey just takes it to the wrong conclusions.

UAL furloughees should be in the skywest seats and skywest pilots should be on the street. Sorry, but if you replace Brasilia w/ qualifying RJs that doesn't relinquish OO from having UA pilots in the seats.

All the RJs should have been on mainline property in the 1st place. The dynamics that are in place bc they aren't ARE a complete failure by the pilots involved

Latest resources

Back