Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bringing them down???

Mach 80,

Interesting comment when you said, ".....bankrupt airlines are driving pay rates down..."

according to www.airlinepilotpay.com

3rd year F/O pay scales:

Delta 737 $134
SWA 737 $89
American 737-800 $87

UAL 737/320 $80

USAir 737 $75
Frontier All F/O $72
Cont 737 $71
ATA 737 $71
Aloha 737 $70
AmWest All F/O $66
AirTran 717 $61
JetBlue 320 $61

Hmmm, looks like bankrupt UAL pay rates are still better than many companies that some people consider "The best thing since sliced bread".

It is not the bankrupt companies bringing us down, it is the guys that whore themselves out for 60 something an hour, are willing to waive FARs, deal with unsavory work rules, and have other airlines fail, just for...........the 'Love of being a pilot'

NuGuy.......I agree

I'm with NuGuy on this one

UAL has 2.5 times the loan amount in assets or the loan wouldn't be gauranteed in the first place. It is similar to a bank having the FDIC status. The government gaurantees the money, but also has governmental controls on how the bank does business.

It's the same with the loan gaurntee. If UAL gets into trouble and doesn't make the necessary corrections, then they get shut down and the assetts are sold.

I say give them the gaurantee.

However, one senior lawmaker believes UAL Corp.'s (OTC BB:UALAQ.OB - News) United, which is based in Elk Grove Village, Illinois, has positioned itself so well politically that approval by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board is inevitable despite the new developments and maneuvering by other airlines to derail the loan guarantee.

Read the whole article http://biz.yahoo.com/rf/040527/airlines_united_loan_1.html

I joked to a UAL pilot on the crew bus as we passed a TED Airbus;
"Nice looking airplane,...it'd look better with an animal on the tail."
The little guy just glared at me like I was serious...what a 'mo-mo'! If these guys can't let some starch outta their shorts, they won't get sympathy when it's over-just more laughter.

crashpad said:
I joked to a UAL pilot on the crew bus as we passed a TED Airbus;
"Nice looking airplane,...it'd look better with an animal on the tail."
The little guy just glared at me like I was serious...what a 'mo-mo'! If these guys can't let some starch outta their shorts, they won't get sympathy when it's over-just more laughter.

He probably didn't like some little punk a$$ who he sent packing from a UAL interview, making snide comments about his company at the same time that that snide little pr1cks company leadership is actively whinning to the government in opposition to his JOB AND LIVELYHOOD, especially since that snide little pr1cks company appears to now be losing money at a faster rate. I guess he should have then started laughing at your pay and benefits and that liberal use of purple.

Extra300S said:
F9 got the loan backing sooooo why can't UAL? Looks like the allmighty Frontier LCC took a loss as well........

Extra300s,

You are correct, F9 did lose for the qtr (5.5million), but F9 made PROFIT for the whole year (2004)..

Second, F9 did get a loan but F9 was the first airline to repay the loan, in FULL, before its due date. Since the loan was paid in full before the due date, F9 was charged with a prepayment penalty.

Third, UAL will get the loan. It is an election year, UAL supports many jobs. It is almost a guarantee that UAL will get the loan, so politicians want to make it a game and make the public "think" that Ual is not going to get the loan.

Dont be frustrated with the LCC airlines. Although, 9/11 had something to do with Uals problems, Your management is to blame, mostly. I was once a pilot with a MAjor too.....LCC are way more efficient. I can tell you (it might be the coolade), but the LCC employees work as if they are part of a winning team. There are little or no Premaddonas at F9. Everybody here appreciates their job and knows it can be yanked out from underneath them. These are the difference, I see from my last employer.

Plus, this is the airline industry. Extra, you have enough experience to know this industry is cyclical. LCCs might be doing good now, but maybe not in the future.

I wish u luck! I can tell you, I wish the GREAT UAL will survive and prosper. With that in mind, Keep your head up and dont wish bad things on others! (this one goes out to Lequip (SP??).

Adios

AnimalTale,

Wow! Thanks for the post, you are right, we should all stop slamming one another, plenty of sky out there for all of us to fly in. Sorry that a few bad apples ruin in for all of us (on BOTH sides of the Legacy and LCC debate)

I do not wish bad ill on any airline. I am surviving a furlough and currently working for an LCC, I know what you mean about employee motivation, I also know about the back stabbing of pilots who just want to make themselves feel better around the cocktail party about "how they never wanted to fly 777's"

My concern is really where the WHOLE industry is heading (Kinda like a Walmart situation) I have no answers, just opinions and at LEAST I admit it.

Your comments make sense, thanks for joining in.

--Extra 300S

Thanks! Have fun flying and Good Luck :)

AnimalTale's post is one of the more professional posts I have seen on here in a while. Well done.

AnimalTail,

Thanks for the post. It's amazing how some pilots can forget where they came from and identify only with where they are.

We were all, at some point, non-aviators, and because of certain events whether we created them or if it was simply timing or pure luck, ended up where we are. Now on these boards we witness our peers berating each other because of the companies we work for. That is crap and I appreciate you pointing it out.

Granted, some of us have resumes that will blow your socks off and we have to share the profession with those that don't. That is the nature of the business in modern aviation, and we'll have to get used to it.

Latest resources

Back