• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL Capt in DEN- December 2010

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for sharing your story. As a 10 year commuter mid west to west coast. I have to say that while I can never see myself loosing it like the FO in your story. That should have been his ride home and his family will never get that christmas back.
You have had and hopefully will have many, many more days to spend with your dad having a drink watching the sunset.
I agree that your dad had every right to allow whom he wants in his JS but you could have stood up and done the right thing and met your dad the next day for his final leg of a long career.

Just one man's opinion.

Well... as a commuter when I was at the airlines and watching my father commute his entire career at UAL I have to admit I was a little torn. Believe me had this guy acted a little differently from the get-go I am sure we could have worked something out.

Also of note was that this was in the morning and there were (at the time) probably 8 or 9 flights on United every day between SFO and SAN. This was probably the second departure of the day... there were plenty of other seats heading his way that morning.

Every time I thumbed a ride on any carrier I was respectful and was denied a few times for what I thought was no apparent reason. I never complained or yelled just respectfully removed myself from the cockpit. If I had walked up asking for a ride home on Christmas I would have been a little stressed but when I heard the Captain's explanation I believe that myself, and most others, would just say "hey Captain- thanks anyway. I'll grab the next one. You guys have a great trip and enjoy retirement."

Sorry for the grammar issues with the posts.. I'm typing fast and haven't been proof-reading enough. But I do appreciate everyone's opinions and I do respectfully listen to all perspectives.

The story is a tough situation with a point. The point is not what should or should not have happened in the sighted situation but who has the authority over the jumpseat.

The captain.

CSR's, flight attendants, CASS computers, TSA, Secret service, dispatch, load control, etc. do not have the final say as they have been given in the recent past.

If the jumpseat is a the battle ground what will happen when there is a mx or wx issue and the captain needs to make a call prior to departure? Yes, the captain needs to use all available resources but ultimately needs to have the authority he has been granted by law.

Captains authority should not be surrendered.

MEL's conflicting with the flight.

Multiple MEL conflicting with other MEL's.

Fuel issues.

WX. Hurricanes are very unpredictable.

One runway airports with alternates not on the down range side of the destination.

Radioactive overnights. Active in progress terrorism during overnights.

Paper alternates.

Company communication issues such as SELCAL, second radios, HF radio issues.

Medical issues in foreign countries. On board illness. Quarantines. Gate returns with sick passengers when dispatch does not want to address the situation.

Schedule changes causing fatigue with highly anticipated wx.

FOQA and ASAP being used in discipline.

Memos published giving permission only to be used against the crew when exercised.

etc., etc. etc.

CAPTAINS AUTHORITY IS UNDER ATTACK!

Last edited:
Well the bottom line to this topic is the current regs spell out where the authority is, who has it and how it can be used.. as to this incident, video, witnesses will now be the judges to what happenes next.. Airport and TSA rules, company rules etc... way to messy to have gotten to this point...

In the end, I think they both get their hands slapped and we move on..

LXApilot: You should have got off the plane. Captain's authority is going away because too many captains are doing selfish, stupid things. You seriously rode around for two days with him before this?! Unbelieveable. When retirements resume, we need to pass a resolution that the company no longer sponsor any expense in celebrating a retirement flight. That money shoulde be set aside for furlough assistance or put into a group sick bank to fund some legitimate need.

LXApilot: You should have got off the plane. Captain's authority is going away because too many captains are doing selfish, stupid things. You seriously rode around for two days with him before this?! Unbelieveable. When retirements resume, we need to pass a resolution that the company no longer sponsor any expense in celebrating a retirement flight. That money shoulde be set aside for furlough assistance or put into a group sick bank to fund some legitimate need.

The wasting of water needs to go, too. :rolleyes:

Latest resources

Back