• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL/CAL Scope Arbitration Decision?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bitter?! We won. What's there to be bitter about? Look, you just need to go to your company and tell them you don't want to violate a lawful scope clause. BTW: where did you get that guppy killer bag sticker? I want to get one with your airplane on it... Sorry, couldn't resist....

*edit: Actually, I couldn't imagine putting a sticker like that on my bag. No matter how bad things might have gotten. I can't believe so many of you guys have those guppy killer stickers....

I am happy you won. But you can't deny that you guys are still bitter about the whole situation in the first place. I hope you guys take back all jet flying. Even 50 seaters. That way we all have a better chance at getting a job at a major.

Righttt. First of all I have never said that. Secondly I am happy the court ruled in your favor. Lastly, dont be disgusted with SkyWest pilots. Instead be disgusted with both of our managments for letting it get to this.

So by your logic one could only have anger towards Frankie Lorenzo and not the '83 heroes for busting the strike back in the day. Thanks for the insight to the discussion! Good night neophyte...

Bitter?! We won. What's there to be bitter about? Look, you just need to go to your company and tell them you don't want to violate a lawful scope clause. BTW: where did you get that guppy killer bag sticker? I want to get one with your airplane on it... Sorry, couldn't resist....

*edit: Actually, I couldn't imagine putting a sticker like that on my bag. No matter how bad things might have gotten. I can't believe so many of you guys have those guppy killer stickers....

I've never seen one of those stickers at SKW. In fact, I've never seen one of those stickers on any bags.

I'm just joking. It seams these bitter old CO pilots like to throw the scab label at SkyWest pilots without restraint. When in fact half of there pilots are scabs in the first place.

Bitter, no. We're fighters. But we don't expect you to get that. Certainly our mgmt doesn't.

Old? Dunno, that's a perception issue, I suppose. We hired a heck of a lot of 20-somethnigs during the last boom. I would estimate that more than 40% of our pilots are under the age of 40... if that's old to you, so be it.

Half of our pilots scabs? Hardly, most are gone (thankfully). The rest are far out-numbered. I don't have the latest figures but I would estimate less than 20% left are scabs, I've heard as little as 10%. Not sure there. But they're marginalized for sure. A scab would never get into a union-elected position these days, that's for sure. All that said, I will admit the scab-mentality has permeated into other areas of the pilot group over the years but those guys are coming around slowly.

As far as our issues with SKYW pilots. If you would've been forced into the base or forced into a trip here we would understand. But to those opportunists who bid into IAH, etc. Well, you guys will never get it. And we don't expect you to, however, you shouldn't expect anything but disdain from us as well. But that's all a moot point now that we won. Now lets see what next battle the company has in store for us.

Last edited:
Congrats to ALL pilots on the ruling. It is nice to see labor win one every once in a while. I can tell you that the overwhelming response on the SkyWest company boards is one of relief. Except for some guys that commute from IAH, none of the SkyWest guys wanted a thing to do with the flying. I just hope that Smeigel doesnt find a way to beat this on appeal.

Hey , where is the picture of the deer? I want to see something. Deerkiller is kind of funny. Atleast you won't be lagos for a while! Get out of there man. Tell your wife to call your mom!

Smisek will simply live in his state of denial... This arrogant ass will probably not mention anything in the daily company propaganda about how his fancy law degree got him nothing but a tooth knocked out. His right wing bashing of unions, his threats to various employee groups, and his disdain for any hard working dedicated employee will continue. This scumbag even suggested after the merger with United that the Continental CBA's were null and void and gave him Carte Blanche to do what ever his dictator ass wanted to. I can honestly say that I've never met a more out of touch, totally disconnected from reality, corporate raider in my life. Lorenzo, Icahn, and the ********************bags on CNBC (Kudlow) that blame labor for all that is wrong with airlines, will surely be upset that their goldenchild got thumped. He might even be against airlines being under the RLA because he will be unable to tie this up for countless years in numerous appeals through the judicial labyrinth!

All that said, I fully expect Smisek and Company to disregard the decision and continue with their current path of destruction of our profession and ou company mainly because there isn't a set monetary penalty if they don't comply. In his Wallstreet lawyer mind, he will do what in the Wallstreet anarchist manifesto believes. Violate until penalized!!! Then settle for pennies on the dollar and violate some more!! Wonder if he is padding his resume for Goldman Sachs. After all, Blankfeins salary was more than what GS paid in taxes and dwarfs what he would ever make at UA.

After this decision, maybe outsourcing his job would be the best for the new UA. I'm sure they can find plenty smarter than him in China or India that would work a lot cheaper and better. Hopefully the board of the new UA will notice what has just occurred, they picked the wrong guy for this braintrust! Pay Bethune and Brenneman and they will lead this merger in the direction it needs to go.

Hasn't been a good week for CAL mgmt. Total meltdown in the northeast with disgruntled employees that are no longer willing to go the extra mile, losing a big case against the pilots and still begging for relief from contractual provisions while trying to openly violate it outside a snowstorm!

Speaking only for myself, RESIGN SMISEK!!!, take your money and go!! You have lost any credibility and leadership capital. Give the new UA a fighting chance and go find another gig.

Hey buddy it's your fault that i fly regional airplanes at "record crapy wages". And thats because you signed in a "record crapy" scope clause that allowed it. Now that you have finally learned your lesson. Take back our "record crapy" regional jet flying in your next contract.

Yes, many mainline ALPA airline carriers sold scope. But not Continental, at least not yet ! Why do you think our CEO did this? he knows we will stand firm on NO SCOPE RELIEF. We have seen how this affects mainline airlines, they shrink. Regardless of what some MIT pros might say, it shrinks the mainline airline and results in less jobs there.

Something to think about, the new United Airline will only be slightly bigger than the United of 1998. How big was SkyWest in 1998? We are trying to bring those jobs back to mainline flying.

Having worked at SkyWest and knowing people still there. Nobody would ever run a "Gupppy Killer" sticker at SkyWest. The Republic guys flying EMB-170-190's for $37/ hr. in the right seat. That's another story.
Skywest does not fly 200, 700, and 900's for the same pay rate. You are thinking about Republic F/O's.
Please keep scope in tact and lets all try to work together. Management loves the fact that we are fighing with each other over this stuff. It makes us weaker and management stronger.
Fly safe.

Latest resources

Back