• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL air-to-air rant

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would rather listen to the SWA guy rant on why he cant get a piece of A**. In fact he should change jobs to DAL so he could lay over in BKK or MNL. Problem solved. Maybe the UAL guy should start bidding MNL too so he could only have one thing to think about.

HAHAHAHAHA, this is classic!

It was not me on the radio but I know the thoughts as do many others.

What is CAL doing? CAL is screwing up the entire deal. Jay Pierce has got to go. Negotiating with an ultimatum from a worthless CAL pilot group is not much of a negotiation.

What the F are you talking about? Are you suggesting the CAL MEC is asking for too much? judging by your screen name I guess UA style negotiating isn't working out for you either.

No CAL is not asking for to much. CAL is not asking with enough force, attitude, and desire.

Management tests the rules of the game every chance it gets.

Staffing problems are a management problem. Yet the unions frame it as a company problem which the pilots are responsible.

Right seat flying, picking up the phone on days off, responding to ACARS messages about schedule extensions, not calling in sick when the pilot is sick, not calling in fatigued when the schedule is un-human. UAL pilots do not do these types of actions. CAL pilots do.

Pay issues. Since when do pilots have to do assignments they are not getting paid to do? CAL pilots do it all the time.

Why doesn't CAL ALPA tell its pilot to walk out of the sim when they pay ends instead of when the session ends. Why do CAL pilots sit in class they are not getting paid to do? How is management going to fire 30 pilots who walk out off after the time they are getting paid to work?

Get the most stressed pilots at CAL. Sign them all up for the same session and then walk out two hours later. Get a CAL ALPA rep to tell management they will come back when management is ready to pay them for the eight hours the session is scheduled.

When computer based training must be done without pay, do not do it.

Actions like those would demand respect and be legal.

Last edited:
Do not complete the required Merger Training Test by the deadline of July 8th. They can stick the entire UAL pilot list on NQ. I assume CO has got the same test with the same deadline as we do.

There isn't any required merger training on the CAL side. This is Luckytohaveajob's chance to put his money where his mouth is and do what he is sugggesting the CAL pilots won't. Refuse to do the training! We'll see what happens.

I think I have Luckytohaveajob figured out. He's the opposite of what he suggests he is. He's scared and he's a wimp. The scope fight scares him because UAL ALPA already gave it up. Therefore he doesn't like Jay Pierce, doesn't like the way negotiations are going, and "wants a deal". He'd rather speak to the fact that UAL outnumbers CAL in total pilots and try to gain something in SLI.

If UAL and CAL ALPA prevail on scope we hire 2000 pilots. Everyone moves up in status. These airlines do not overlap and there will be plenty of great positions for everyone. If we cave on scope we furlough 2000 pilots. and we can kiss our assess goodbye. It's that simple.

There isn't any required merger training on the CAL side. This is Luckytohaveajob's chance to put his money where his mouth is and do what he is sugggesting the CAL pilots won't. Refuse to do the training! We'll see what happens.

I think I have Luckytohaveajob figured out. He's the opposite of what he suggests he is. He's scared and he's a wimp. The scope fight scares him because UAL ALPA already gave it up. Therefore he doesn't like Jay Pierce, doesn't like the way negotiations are going, and "wants a deal". He'd rather speak to the fact that UAL outnumbers CAL in total pilots and try to gain something in SLI.

If UAL and CAL ALPA prevail on scope we hire 2000 pilots. Everyone moves up in status. These airlines do not overlap and there will be plenty of great positions for everyone. If we cave on scope we furlough 2000 pilots. and we can kiss our assess goodbye. It's that simple.

Well said. That's the simple point!!! Why the f*** am I gonna sign away scope only to lose my job? It doesn't effect just me, but everyone on the list. Capt's will downgrade and fo's will be furloughed. Any questions?

Watchout. The super senior Skywest and Republic guys are drooling over the mere thought of you guys caving on scope. I'm sure the super senior at all of regionals would be too. It's just easier to pick on non-union and teamster airlines...

Luckytohaveajob is weak, I'm afraid. There is only one reason to not like JP or the way things are being negotiated and that's being weak on scope and anxious about fighting mgt. His loudest and most emphatic claims are to be hard nose, but he's in fact the opposite and trying to mask his shortcoming. The hard stance on scope does not need to change. We don't need to be "outvoted by UAL pilots' superior numbers" so we can "get a deal". That's the concessionist UAL mantra that has given away scope, lost a pension, furloughed thousands, and taken huge paycuts. I guess we're fortunate that so many at UAL really do understand what's going on. There are not many pilots like this Luckytohaveajob guy who want to go off the reservation. Nobody said this was going to be easy. It's hard, it will get worse, but it will be worth it in the end.

The problem is your d-bagg CEO. Do you think this ambiguity and stalling would have happened with Bethune at the helm? No way. He had the leadership skills to persuade people and get things done. Smisek is too busy looking at himself in the mirror and fixing his beautiful hair... That guy is a grade-A dooooooosh. His next bonus should be based on getting an amicable agreement between the two pilot groups within 12 months (yeah, probably would never happen).

I personally believe the integration between UAL and CAL could be as bad or worse than America West & USAirways. It ain't gonna be pretty...

Latest resources

Back