UAL 747-400 Parked in Mojave Desert!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Goodbye B-747-400 #8196

Aloha...and mahalo for never letting me down.

Doc

A sad story with a lot of heart, great post! Your respect for that aircraft and soul of that story reminds me of why this is such a great career. I hope United lives on for a long time. Keep the faith.

Last edited:
This story reminds me of the Clipper Skippers (PanAm) who chose to go down with their ships even when they had the opportunity to come over to UAL with the acquisition of the Pacific flying.

Capt. Edward Smith chose to go down with his ship too, the Titanic.

Many greats machines have gone to Mojave to die............ But, many are resurrected back into their original fleet or other fleets when the good times return!!

Last edited:
Very very sad indeed. I honestly believe that United is going to be parted out. No merger in my opinion.

They are parking 6-8 747's....and you think they are going to part out the company?

I would be more concerned if they started selling off the asia routes.

They are parking 6-8 747's....and you think they are going to part out the company?

I would be more concerned if they started selling off the asia routes.

While the parking of 6-8 747's is a big deal, it's that on top of the plans to get ride of the entire 737 fleet. Now that combination is HUGE. Next it will be the sale of the Training Center, followed by the sale of the 757/767 fleet. And in the end, UAL can not make it as a 777/A320 airline. The only answer then is a merger or there acquisition by Continental. Of course this will provide a very large golden parachute for UAL management. Then that's it.

Everyone knows this, Tlton has no scruples. He just wants more cash for himself and his cronies.

Last edited:
While the parking of 6-8 747's is a big deal, it's that on top of the plans to get ride of the entire 737 fleet. Now that combination is HUGE. Next it will be the sale of the Training Center, followed by the sale of the 757/767 fleet. And in the end, UAL can not make it as a 777/A320 airline. The only answer then is a merger or there acquisition by Continental. Of course this will provide a very large golden parachute for UAL management. Then that's it.

Everyone knows this, Tlton has no scruples. He just wants more cash for himself and his cronies.

Parking the 737's and the 6-8 400's is huge and they are probably not wanting to be that HUGE in case that may cause a merger to get denied.... they are sizing for a more certain merger. Remember, CAL has aircraft on order....close to 100 if the numbers on airline pilot central are correct. For a merger to happen, they don't need United's least efficient aircraft. Just my 2 cents.

Why not just run the damn airline instead of right-sizing for a merger?

You guys have an incredible route structure and any type of flying one would want. I just don't get it.

Sad story.

Gup

Why not just run the damn airline instead of right-sizing for a merger?

You guys have an incredible route structure and any type of flying one would want. I just don't get it.

Sad story.

Gup

Gup,

I think here is the deal....yes running it with the correct management is step one....BUT I really think that they don't want to exceed the DAL NWA size when they go to merge...I think it would have a chance of being too big, and possibly getting disapproved. So if they size it to match what has already been approved and cut out any overlap...then they are more likely to get approved...when speaking about a merger.

Form the numbers I can see...APC.com numbers on aircraft...the UAL CAL deal would be about 50 aircraft larger than the NWA DAL combo...BUT CAL has about 100 aircraft on order...so with that said, after the cuts are made..on both sides, and the orders are taken, they both...DAL NWA and UAL CAL are about the same size.

Just my opinion....without emotion. Totally out of our control. Good luck.

Latest resources

Back