• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAL 747-400 Parked in Mojave Desert!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Paul Whiteford's famous declaration: "I've saved the A fund", when he sold out the scope, was certainly NOT the old guys getting sold out for the junior! Your A fund was in tact until the second turn down from the ATSB. That second snub at the ATSB dollars was what enabled UAL to get rid of your money.

The above quote of yours is where you start to go wrong; ALPA was snookered by UAL and later by themselves. It was when the ATSB deal failed that ALPA caved in, giving away what little they had left, including the pension (most everything else had been given away during the snookering). The loss of the pension was the work of the "get out of my seat crowd." And that was followed by the resistance to the age-60 rule change that everyone knew was going to happen. The “Get out of my Seat Crowd” is very very short sighted by nature and definition too. So now the current situation is what you get for your work, nothing. Fortunately though, through the work of others, you will be able to work past age 60 at some Part 121 or 135 operation, maybe even UAL if you’re real lucky.

You seem to say I'm bitter; no I am enjoying my retirement. I have much good fortune to be grateful for: Before, during and after UAL.

The above quote of yours is where you start to go wrong; ALPA was snookered by UAL and later by themselves. It was when the ATSB deal failed that ALPA caved in, giving away what little they had left, including the pension (most everything else had been given away during the snookering).

"Snookering?" Your grasp of legalese is impressive!? Your claims don't match the sequence of events. Most junior pilots at UAL knew the pension was toast before PW sold out the scope clause. What YOU needed to do was put pressure on the ATSB to do the right thing. ATSB acted improperly with regard to it's mandate. Period. What you chose to do was emphasize the need for 65 and ignore the tough fight that would have helped everyone.

It's not too late. In my short exchange with Phil LaBeau I could detect that he understood the disparity. If UAW gets a huge bailout you need to renew the fight.

*BTW: from what I know of the lawsuit, I'd say you're quite bitter.

Last edited:
BTW: from what I know of the lawsuit, I'd say you're quite bitter.
Flopgut: I'm not at all bitter, as I said earlier, I'm just enjoying life while I cling to my guns, religion and my Gold Wing.

Regarding the law suit, I'm not sure which one you mean, I do have several, and don’t you know that?

And for the rest first part of your post, that is all crap where you try to place blame on others for the failures of ALPA. It everyone's fault, UAL-ALPA was simply snookered, as I said.

Last edited:
I am not in Sky Team. Just saying that CAL had options...they joined the star alliance. A good move for them and just makes the star alliance stronger, or they would be out in the cold. Did not see them join AA's alliance.

Latest resources

Back