• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA furlough numbers released

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However, other witnesses said that pure speculators have had little impact on energy prices, which have doubled in the past year to about $135 per barrel. Both Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson and Energy Secretary Samuel Bodman have dismissed the impact of speculators on prices paid by consumers.

Speculators now account for about 70% of all benchmark crude trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, up from 37% in 2000, said Rep. Bart Stupak, D-Mich., chairman of the investigations subcommittee. Stupak introduced a bill on Friday that would limit index speculation.

There has been much discussion recently about how big a role speculators have been playing in the sharp rise in energy prices, though no consensus has emerged on this point.

Bye Bye--General Lee

OK, so we really don't know for sure how much affect speculation has had. Here's one quick way to find out that doesn't require an act of congress: Open up the strategic oil reserves in a major way. Flood the market with oversupply for a bit, and watch the price of oil. My thoughts are that we're seeing an investment bubble, just like others we've seen. All we need to do to pop this bubble is to reverse, even temporarily, the momentum that has been established over the past year. After the oil speculators get caught in an oil-price freefall and lose their a$$, maybe they'll go onto the next big thing. We just need to keep the oversupply going for a couple of options periods and we'll see them scurrying like roaches under a flashlight.

If it doesn't work, we haven't done anything irreversible, and there's a pretty good chance it might help. I say "bombs away" on the ICE!

GL,

We agree on this - we are being "Enron'd" on a national and global scale, and a few are getting rich beyond their wildest imaginations at the cost of decimating the economy. Better pay attention to who created and who has supported the current legislation as it stands.

We are being fleeced on an unprecedented scale

I thought this thread was about United, and not about a kindergarten quarrel most of you know nothing about...

And destroy the coastline for two years worth of oil? I don't think so. We need to reduce our consumption of oil, not drill for more. There's enough in that ********************hole of a desert for all of us without drilling the in the oceans surrounding the US.

Oil destroys our coastlines? Funny, lots of countries deemed more environmentally friendly drill offshore, like Canada and Norway.

Sounds like you are perfectly willing to outsource and offshore those oil jobs to other countries too, which is interesting in itself in a thread about pilot jobs being lost.

And how much money leaves the US economy to go to other countries to buy their oil? And how much would speculation dampen, if it looked like the US was actually serious about its own production?

Ahhh, rationalization. The principal form of exercise for today's eco-weenie on the go.

"I see a lot of stupid people in the world. I could scam them out of their money, because if I don't, someone else will! Why not make things better for myself?"

Maybe if you quit flying, others would be inspired by your conviction. Others would then quit to go tend sheep or weave baskets. Then there would be a lack of pilots, and airlines would have to cancel flights. Seats would get expensive on the remaining flights, and fewer people would fly. Eventually, there would then be fewer airplanes, and thus fewer emissions.

Weak. Maybe you should stop crapping in your toilet. It's more "carbon friendly" to just hold it all in.

Nu

Thank God for auto-pilots!

What exactly is an eco-weenie? Is that like an organic hotdog?

All those "stupid" people you see all the time - try to m@sturb@te with something besides your mirror, maybe that will help.

No wonder so many of your ilk have trouble with the concept of evolution, you have very little personal proof of it indeed!

I hope the gummers really enjoy going to work. They better as alot of the young folks will have to leave.

I find it absurd and almost unbelieveable that people aged 60 get to stay while those with a mortgage and two kids are given a pinkslip and a "good-luck sport" as they wonder where the next paycheck will come from.

How did it come to this??

Best of luck to all those who are going to be affected by this!!

Sincerely,

dane

Don't forget many of those lost most of their retirement in BK, and now are scrambling to make a few bucks to make up for that.

While the young guy still has time.

Believe me that an age 60 guy/gal, who has been doing this for 30+ years would love to leave now, but many can't financially.

At 59 you look at things differently.

Last edited:
yea, you keep justifying your moves. It doesn't matter, that's the scab mentality. Great job, from the backs of your peers. Well, I guess we're not really YOUR peers. Good job, keep screwing everyone possible, you know "nobody looks out for number one".

yea, you keep justifying your moves. It doesn't matter, that's the scab mentality. Great job, from the backs of your peers. Well, I guess we're not really YOUR peers. Good job, keep screwing everyone possible, you know "nobody looks out for number one".

What a joke, try to catch up to the realities of the 21st century

ALPA strikes again

ALPA had to support the age 65 rule and now the unemployment lines will be filling up with pilots, that is really wrong. Now I wonder if they will pay your mortgage and your kids tuition.

For all the money you send them each month, it would be nice if occasionally they saw the big picture.

Good Luck.......

Latest resources

Back