UA Calling for Interviews

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Grunt,

I was told the same by several FOs that were flying with us, most back at UAL.

Maybe it was my advanced age.

Maybe my lack of deoderant..or lack of personality.

TO be serious, with 12 years left...having 8 years seniority now..being able to choose days off, etc.

I'm struggling with their advice..but so far taking it.

Anybody getting called/hired without jet PIC time? You know, 121 turboprop pilots?

Well, I left CAL to go back to UAL. CAL was definitely a better place to work, but I spent an average of 36 hours/month sitting in back while I commuted to work. I'm 6'5", so to say that the LAX-EWR commute sucked would be an understatement.

Here's a few observations having been at COEX, UAL, SkyWest, CAL, and UAL again. IMO, UAL is still better than either of my commuter jobs, and I worked for two of the better regionals.

You want to know what's still good at United? Not a ton, but a few biggies.

First off, they feed us, and feed us well. I know this doesn't seem like much, but it makes a huge difference in how I feel at the end of the day. We get two meals on most trans-cons, which honestly is a bit much most of the time. It's good food as far as airline meals go (on par with the CAL first class meals that we occasionally got from the back), and we have 10 or 15 different meal choices.

Second is the 8 (or 9, can't remember) hours behind the door at the hotel. This is key. I've never been in a situation where I didn't have the opportunity to get enough rest. I can't say that for any other airline that I've worked for. We've all had those 8 hour block-to-block layovers - that simply doesn't happen here.

Third, United is by far the most standardized airline I've ever worked for. It's hard to overstate how much easier this makes the F/O's job. At CAL, I literally had guys who would brief me by stating that "I'm by the book, but I do like to do a few things differently", then proceeded to pull out a 3x5 card with the list of things they wanted done differently (both sides). That sucks. I think CAL tries their best to make things standard, but with so many acquisitions in CAL's past, a lot of guys had their own idea of what works best, and for some reason they wouldn't let go. Kinda strange, but it could make things a pain in the ass.

Fourth, life on reserve is pretty decent. I'm averaging 12-13 days of work/month on the Airbus, and we can usually pick and choose what we want to do. The long/short call deal is great, IMO. There are a few guys who disagree, but you are able to have some control of your schedule even on reserve.

So from my perspective living at home in domicile (that is critical), I'm far happier than I was commuting to EWR for CAL. My QOL is better, and I have almost twice as much time at home with the family, which is my number one priority.

So yes, UAL certainly has its issues, but it's not all bad, and certainly better than the regionals, IMO, if you're young enough to recoup the earnings you lose from making the jump.

One biggie to consider, however, is that I've never held a line at UAL (three years and counting). I can't speak at all for what it's like on the lineholder side, but it seems pretty bleak when I look at the line awards (95 hour months with 12 days off), though most guys I fly with end up dropping a trip each month. We'll have to see how well the new trip trade system pans out as well. They're rolling it out in ORD this month, so time will tell. It's got some pretty slick features (3+ way trades, etc.), so there's a glimmer of hope.

C

Well, I left CAL to go back to UAL. CAL was definitely a better place to work, but I spent an average of 36 hours/month sitting in back while I commuted to work. I'm 6'5", so to say that the LAX-EWR commute sucked would be an understatement.

Here's a few observations having been at COEX, UAL, SkyWest, CAL, and UAL again. IMO, UAL is still better than either of my commuter jobs, and I worked for two of the better regionals.

You want to know what's still good at United? Not a ton, but a few biggies.

First off, they feed us, and feed us well. I know this doesn't seem like much, but it makes a huge difference in how I feel at the end of the day. We get two meals on most trans-cons, which honestly is a bit much most of the time. It's good food as far as airline meals go (on par with the CAL first class meals that we occasionally got from the back), and we have 10 or 15 different meal choices.

Second is the 8 (or 9, can't remember) hours behind the door at the hotel. This is key. I've never been in a situation where I didn't have the opportunity to get enough rest. I can't say that for any other airline that I've worked for. We've all had those 8 hour block-to-block layovers - that simply doesn't happen here.

Third, United is by far the most standardized airline I've ever worked for. It's hard to overstate how much easier this makes the F/O's job. At CAL, I literally had guys who would brief me by stating that "I'm by the book, but I do like to do a few things differently", then proceeded to pull out a 3x5 card with the list of things they wanted done differently (both sides). That sucks. I think CAL tries their best to make things standard, but with so many acquisitions in CAL's past, a lot of guys had their own idea of what works best, and for some reason they wouldn't let go. Kinda strange, but it could make things a pain in the ass.

Fourth, life on reserve is pretty decent. I'm averaging 12-13 days of work/month on the Airbus, and we can usually pick and choose what we want to do. The long/short call deal is great, IMO. There are a few guys who disagree, but you are able to have some control of your schedule even on reserve.

So from my perspective living at home in domicile (that is critical), I'm far happier than I was commuting to EWR for CAL. My QOL is better, and I have almost twice as much time at home with the family, which is my number one priority.

So yes, UAL certainly has its issues, but it's not all bad, and certainly better than the regionals, IMO, if you're young enough to recoup the earnings you lose from making the jump.

One biggie to consider, however, is that I've never held a line at UAL (three years and counting). I can't speak at all for what it's like on the lineholder side, but it seems pretty bleak when I look at the line awards (95 hour months with 12 days off), though most guys I fly with end up dropping a trip each month. We'll have to see how well the new trip trade system pans out as well. They're rolling it out in ORD this month, so time will tell. It's got some pretty slick features (3+ way trades, etc.), so there's a glimmer of hope.

C

That's just funny! I need to do that as a joke on my next FO. LOL I can only imagine the look on their face when i introduce myself and pull out my instruction index card!!LOL

There are a few capts. at XJT that would do that kind of thing. I think every airline has their "different kind of folk".

box

Along those lines...Is the job at UAL really that bad? I have an OK job now and looking at left seat 757/767 within a year or so. Thought there may be more of a future at a legacy carrier. Don't want to leave what I have if pilots at UAL are jumping ship for either lack of decent pay or QOL. Any thoughts?

All of the following is my opinion........

Is UAL that bad to work for? No, it's not bad. The guys you fly with are great. I can count on 10 fingers or less how many guys over 12 years I've flown with that were a*holes, not counting the scabs I occasionaly flew with when I was a F/O.

You have to keep in mind that when you ask the typical UAL guy whether life sucks at UAL- it's relative. We all saw our pay go from a hard fought highest in the industry with an excellent retirement to LCC wages and LCC (i.e. no) retirement. That makes guys mad, as it should. So when they see someone from the outside potentially happy about applying at UAL, they can't understand that maybe for a guy flying for a crappy freight outfit or a bottom-of-the-barrel regional that maybe UAL is a step up. And for some it will be.

Are there better airlines to fly for? Absolutely. Would I apply here if I had to do it all over again? Yeah, but it would be my third or fourth choice. I guess it just depends on your situation. I don't think you'll be unhappy coming here because of some inherent flaw that only exists at UAL and not at any other major, but if that flaw exists in your opinion, you can just apply somewhere else with your new type rating.

Good luck with your decision.

ualdriver

That's just funny! I need to do that as a joke on my next FO. LOL I can only imagine the look on their face when i introduce myself and pull out my instruction index card!!LOL

Yes, Make sure to make it a two page laminated document with graphs and charts!

Does anyone remember in other hiring times if pilots told them NOT to come to legacy carriers?

I was filled in on the LCC rules and how they are different from I guess you would call mainline. Can a UAL pilot please explain the differing rules between the 73/A320 work rules and the rest of the fleet.

[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Verdana]Hot Flash [/FONT]-[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida] Monday, October 29, 2007[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Veredana, Lucida]Now, We Can Talk Mergers
[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Veredana, Lucida]United's Perfuming Itself[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]It's about as subtle as a IED attack.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]United has clearly tossed itself onto the sale block. Not to mention the chopping block.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]They're apparently clearing the decks to make themselves an easy pick-up. They're talking about selling off parts to, in the B-school-ese they're paying dearly for, "unlock shareholder value." Not to mention shed stuff that might be duplicative in case somebody wanted to buy them.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]United appears to be transforming itself from an airline into an acquisition target. They've hired consultants to "review" spinning off their maintenance operations - translation: spin'em off as fast as possible. They're talking about selling off other parts of the company, too. Parts that once gone might make United more attractive. And with cash in the till, too.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]Then we have the CEO who was reported to have blurted out to an employee meeting that the choice is a combination of United with another carrier, or back into bankruptcy. Subtle, eh? A heck of a compliment to a management team that had the airline in Chapter 11 for three years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]This presents a real challenge for the rest of the industry. Since UA is hell bent on selling itself, it's not out of the question that somebody will look at buying. That means that every airline out there has no choice but to sit down and accomplish a lot of "what-if" scenario planning regarding their strategic options.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]Buy United? Encourage a competitor to do so? Make a play for key parts? Plan a regulatory attack, with the intent of stripping key parts (like the Tokyo fifth-freedom rights) from a potential merger? Might the PBGC try to grab some of the spin-off cash? Might the Star Alliance be interested in doing something? Go after ORD slots? Lots of competitive options out there. One thing, at least at this point, seems to be certain. United's management really wants to sell.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]So if United wants to sell itself, it's going to sell itself. And somebody - or somebodies - will end up buying all or pieces of the entity.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]Stand by for some really innovative competitive responses.
Billings & Beijing: Now More Important Than Orlando

IT: To Fundamentally Transform Airport Facility Needs

Labor: It'll Leave The Table With Either $$$ Or Strike Posters

Consolidation: United's Tossed Itself On The Sale Block. Scenario Planning Time

FAA's NextGen:
A Totally Lost Cause. FAA Now "Irrelevant"

Airliner

[persons opinion with TONS on questions from himself.quote=lineflyer1;1444047]
[FONT=Tahoma, Ariel, Verdana]Hot Flash [/FONT]-[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida] Monday, October 29, 2007[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, Veredana, Lucida]Now, We Can Talk Mergers[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Veredana, Lucida]United's Perfuming Itself[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]It's about as subtle as a IED attack.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]United has clearly tossed itself onto the sale block. Not to mention the chopping block.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]They're apparently clearing the decks to make themselves an easy pick-up. They're talking about selling off parts to, in the B-school-ese they're paying dearly for, "unlock shareholder value." Not to mention shed stuff that might be duplicative in case somebody wanted to buy them.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]United appears to be transforming itself from an airline into an acquisition target. They've hired consultants to "review" spinning off their maintenance operations - translation: spin'em off as fast as possible. They're talking about selling off other parts of the company, too. Parts that once gone might make United more attractive. And with cash in the till, too.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]Then we have the CEO who was reported to have blurted out to an employee meeting that the choice is a combination of United with another carrier, or back into bankruptcy. Subtle, eh? A heck of a compliment to a management team that had the airline in Chapter 11 for three years.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]This presents a real challenge for the rest of the industry. Since UA is hell bent on selling itself, it's not out of the question that somebody will look at buying. That means that every airline out there has no choice but to sit down and accomplish a lot of "what-if" scenario planning regarding their strategic options.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]Buy United? Encourage a competitor to do so? Make a play for key parts? Plan a regulatory attack, with the intent of stripping key parts (like the Tokyo fifth-freedom rights) from a potential merger? Might the PBGC try to grab some of the spin-off cash? Might the Star Alliance be interested in doing something? Go after ORD slots? Lots of competitive options out there. One thing, at least at this point, seems to be certain. United's management really wants to sell.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]So if United wants to sell itself, it's going to sell itself. And somebody - or somebodies - will end up buying all or pieces of the entity.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]Stand by for some really innovative competitive responses.[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]___________[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Veredana, Lucida]Highlights -The Boyd Group Forecast Conference[/FONT]
[FONT=Tahoma, Verdana, Lucida]We've posted key forecast points presented at the 12th Annual Aviation Forecast Conference... [/FONT]
Billings & Beijing: Now More Important Than Orlando

IT:To Fundamentally Transform Airport Facility Needs

Labor:It'll Leave The Table With Either $$$ Or Strike Posters
Consolidation: United's Tossed Itself On The Sale Block. Scenario Planning Time

FAA's NextGen:A Totally Lost Cause. FAA Now "Irrelevant"

Airliner
[/quote]

Seems like Northwest is looking to do the same thing...already revamped MX... lots of questions in this artcle too from its own author..

Last edited:
I was filled in on the LCC rules and how they are different from I guess you would call mainline. Can a UAL pilot please explain the differing rules between the 73/A320 work rules and the rest of the fleet.

Yeah, I can. In a nutshell, you work more and harder. Most LCC line holders have their lines built to around 92-95 hours a month with little opportunity to drop or trip trade. The mainline guys typically don't fly 90+ hours a month routinely. The pay for the 737/A320 is the same. There's no rigs other than a "lookback" provision which is too detailed to explain here. There's probably more but I haven't flown on the non-LCC side for serveral years, so hopefully someone can chime in.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back