Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA A320 at DEN: "Total Hydraulic Failure"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Any reason they couldn't try the ol' differential thrust trick? Something to do with Pierre not letting them move the thrust levers?

Any reason they couldn't try the ol' differential thrust trick? Something to do with Pierre not letting them move the thrust levers?

It's Fifi, not Pierre. :p And yes, you can move the thrust levers all you want. The thrust levers actually controlling the thrust is the big maybe. The non moving thrust levers is my biggest complaint about driving the bus.

Looks like a case of media run amuck again.

United spokeswoman Sarah Massier, however, said the plane experienced only minor problems and did not have to be towed after it landed.

Not saying that the spokeswoman was accurate, but if it's true that the plane taxied to the gate and didn't need a tow doesn't that imply that at least 1 hydraulic system was working? Also, if you lost complete hydraulics, landed, and still decided to taxi to the gate wouldn't you at least get the gear pinned first????

Just a thought...

As a guy with 5 years on the airplane I assure you that is a completley inaccurate statement.

Then you need to go back to the books.

The rat will drive the blue circuit (assuming it has fluid and is operable) but with no hydraulics the only control available is the engines.

Airbus "mechanical backup" means using the hydraulically operated rudder pedals (any one of the three hydraulic systems) and the hydraulically operated THS (operated by the green or yellow circuit).

During Mechanical Backup both the stab and rudder use cables going to a controller (mech. link) and require hydraulic power. Plane is not designed to be flown during longer periods of time in mechanical backup. No hydraulic fluid left means the airplane is a lawn dart.

M

Then you need to go back to the books.

The rat will drive the blue circuit (assuming it has fluid and is operable) but with no hydraulics the only control available is the engines.

Airbus "mechanical backup" means using the hydraulically operated rudder pedals (any one of the three hydraulic systems) and the hydraulically operated THS (operated by the green or yellow circuit).

Try reading the post I was quoting and then come back with with a post that makes sense.

During Mechanical Backup both the stab and rudder use cables going to a controller (mech. link) and require hydraulic power. Plane is not designed to be flown during longer periods of time in mechanical backup. No hydraulic fluid left means the airplane is a lawn dart.

M

Always a one day delay for you to go and ask dad how the airplane works.

The plane is designed to be flown for extended periods of time in mechanical backup and to be landed in this mode.

As part of training every AWA pilot has performed at least one landing in mechanical backup.

Last edited:
Always a one day delay for you to go and ask dad how the airplane works.

The plane is designed to be flown for extended periods of time in mechanical backup and to be landed in this mode.

As part of training every AWA pilot has performed at least one landing in mechanical backup.

wrong rookie. Is possible to fly it for extended periods of time or can it be landed? Yes. But Airbus intended mechanical backup to be a temp. situation. It is almost impossible to fly an instrument approach. You better have a long and wide rwy and vfr.

M

Last edited:
wrong rookie.

M

I must have been hallucinating when I watched the test pilots land the airplane in mechanical backup as part of its original certification program.

Further I guess I was dreaming when I landed the airplane with the trim wheel and pedals as part of my original training.

Further I must have also hallucinated the mechanical backup landings that my sim partner and I performed when I returned to the airplane several years ago.

Latest resources

Back