Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UA A320 at DEN: "Total Hydraulic Failure"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

thepotato232

Tuberriffic
http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_13609730?source=rss

In short, the report says that UA418 landed safely on 34L at DEN with a total hydraulic failure. As in NO control surfaces.

Has anyone here heard anything about this? The story has received virtually no attention, suggesting either the media is incorrect either about the extent to which the airplane was crippled, or simply has no idea what a "total hydraulic failure" generally means for the folks trying to fly the airplane.

As I understand it, an A320 that's lost all three hydraulic systems has no control whatsoever other than differential thrust, ala UA232. "Mechanical Backup", the mode to which the plane reverts in the event of a complete electrical failure, simply allows for the manual adjustment of the hydraulic valve of one of the trim tabs.

*Update: Just heard from a family friend with the FAA - so far, the official line from them is "Landed with total hydraulic failure."

I bet they had blue hydraulics supplied by the RAT. Worse case they were in direct law. I hardly believe they landed in mechanical backup.

M

The story so far says "total hydraulic failure," including Blue. The RAT and direct law/mech. backup only apply when you've lost electrical...

Agreed - that's why I was hoping somebody here had heard something. So far, everyone from the news outlets to the (anecdotal) word from the Fed is saying the same thing.

Total hydraulic failure on the A320 = certain death...
Not even mechanical back up will save you'r a$$..

Latest resources

Back