• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. Customs Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is a great job if you like flying, shooitng guns, and making some cash. I have been here about 1 year in Feb. You do have to go thru the Federal Law Enforcement Center (5 month program), which has nothing to do with flying. Go to USA Jobs and search for 2181 series to put an aplication. They will only be accepting for a short time. The hiring process usually takes about a year and you have to interview in OK City. The location you get selected for all depends on when you get called. You can check out the pay on the GS pay scales ( you also get an additional 25% for being Law Enforcement). I was furloughed by UAL 2 years ago, and I don't think I will return. Benifits include a pension and 401K ( your contributions + 5%), up to 5 weeks off a year and all Fed holidays off (or double time). We fly C-210s, C-12s, Citation IIs, and various helos. It is about a 50/50 mix of prior military and non-military. Definetly worth the time to put an app in, and you can always say No.

Last edited:
Forrest,

I've been looking at this opportunity for quite some time but I'm short on the multi-time. Is that an automatic disqualification if you don't meet the basic minimums? I'm just trying to find out if I should begin the long and involved application process without the multi-min. If not then I've got 8 years before the age cutoff.
Thanks for any input.

I think you need to meet all the mins. They decide all that in DC. We really don't have a dog in the race at the Units; Nevertheless, the application has been the same for ever and you could bang it out for pratice.

Aircraft Assignment

Forrest -

How do they go about aircraft assignment on the fixed wing side? I know you have to be previously typed to get into the P-3 -- how about the others? Or, are you all cross trained and rotated through? Just curious -- seems to me the C206/210 would be a junior assignment and better off avoided? Looking for some insight...

Forrest,
Sorry to keep hitting you with questions. I was told by one of your fellow agents that because of the points system you had to be prior military to get a call. This was due to all the points you recieve for being prior military, and having law enforcement experience helps.
Also do you know if there are any limitations due a medical condition? I have hypertension, so if the answer is yes it would save me some time and heartache.
Thanks in advance,
usc

Last edited:
Customs Questions

Answer to the questions
1. Aircraft selection: The P-3 job is a seperate job you have to apply for (Those units, Jax and Corpus, only fly P-3s). They usually only hire former P-3 pilots for that job. Although I flew P-3s for a few years, I did not apply for the P-3 position. All the other units fly the aircraft I listed. You usually start in the C-T210 and as a copilot in the C-12 or C-550.
2. Military Time: Being former military gets you like 5 points, but that is it. We have plently on non-military pilots. The military folks usually have a slight advantage because of the higher performance aircraft, but I have met many non-military pilots who were just as qualified and hired. It is all about flight experience and your interview. Prior law enforcement is GREAT. We have a number of former LEOs
3. Medical: All you need is a second class FAA medical. We don't have flight docs or medical screeners. If you can get a Class II, your good to go.

Is there a weight limit? Military pilots can only weigh X amount depending on their height. In other words have to be in excellent shape to apply.

Is this the case to apply for the US Customs?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back