U.S. Customs Aviation

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AceCrackshot said:
It looks like they went through the dual qualed apps first, then took a couple of airplane only interviewees.

While it sucks for most of you, it's good news to hear for those of us that are already dual qualled and wanting to get into Customs. It does make sense, though - since they operate fixed and rotary wing aircraft, they want pilots qualified in both. I suggest that those of you that are REALLY interested in working for Customs go get your comm/inst helicopter(or airplane if you are only a rotary wing guy).

The only problem with that logic, as I see it Frac, is that I've heard of very qualified rotor guys buying multi time to get to the minima for fixed wing time with Customs (so as to be dual rated).

Anyone would see that 100 hours in a Apache is not exactly the most suitable training for going and hopping in a Cheyenne or Citation, especially with guys with thousands of hours of fixed wing turboprop or jet time on the outside looking in. Moreover, the dual rated thing perversely works against the high time guys, as at least 25% of your total time must be in the other type of aircraft. So to round down my time to 3000 tt, I'd need roughly 750 tt to even put down a potential helo ATP. And lets not even start with the L-188 type requirement for the dome aircraft. I guess its their airplanes and they can fly them as they see fit. Except when they allow 130 or E2 guys to apply anyways. But the whole thing smacks of requirements written to exclude civilian aviators.

This is not to denigrate the guys highly qualed in both aircraft. Or Customs pilots or ICE as a group. However, my point is simply to point a few inconsistances with the process. Or perhaps feel better by ranting.

At least...

the mexican police can have business on the side...
I know good guys in the Agency, however having seen alittle of what goes on I think anyone who thinks they are going to make a real difference is probably in delusion. As far as the job, well don't forget that alot of those guys often fly a whopping 200hrs a year in a C206...whao hold me back...good luck :D

Customs just listed openings for more airplane pilots on the USAjobs website, Army is also looking for Fixed wing and rotary wing instructors.

Jobear

There is a restriction for the current open customs jobs on usajobs:

WHO MAY APPLY:
All employees (with competitive status) of the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

USA jobs website

Bafanguy PM'd me with several questions about the USAjobs website I figured I post the response here to help all who are looking. Hope thats ok Bguy.

1. When searching USAjobs use job code 2181 not a agency specific. 2181 is for Pilot positions fixed and rotary.

2. Fill out an online resume with the site and have the updates e-mailed to you, it saves hours of searching:D .

3. **IMPORTANT** If you are a VET or displaced federal worker make sure you check that box.

4. Fill out ahead of time an application and save it to your harddrive also, a vets preferance form,and an flight time form.All available from the OPM library.

5. The government will also contract pilot services for fire season; hiring usally finishes for those in early April but I have recieved bid proposals late into the summer.

6. I don't work or fly for the federal government. I started looking into this when I was furloughed post 9-11 and kinda kept looking for fun. And honestly some of those jobs look really fun(as my wife has heart failure:eek: )

Take care
Jobear

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back