• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

U.S. Airways bids 8 Billion to buy Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
doogie parker is trying to take over the universe and we're all along for the ride. if this happens i'm going back to janitor school, i'll lead a much happier existence.

I agree that a regional bloodbath will result if a merger happens. ASA and Comair will battle with Republic/CHQ, PDT and Mesa for the scraps as cost "synergies" are realized...

I think you are correct. Some of the synergies will result in markets currently served by RJs going mainline. If USAir has 3-4 Rjs in market A and Delta also has 3-4 Rjs, all the sudden it might make more sense to have 3-4 mainline aircraft. Especially when the USAir 190s start to come online.

Actually, I think Piedmont would be realatively safe. Doug Parker has made no bones about it- he hates RJ's and is looking to shy away from them- hense the EMB-190 program. Also, I think Doug Parker is a fairly strait shooter and many steps ahead of Grinstien. As for furloughes......USAirways is losing 500+ pilots in the next two years to retirement, unless the age 65 law is passed. Even with that the majority of pilots are so bitter they want out at 60.

USAirways has expressed alot of interest in Delta for awhile now- remember in the early summer Doug called Grinstein? As for Atlanta, supposedly this is one of the primary reasons Doug wants Delta- or at least a part of it. We shall see............

Wish I had bought a metric crapload of LCC stock yesterday...stock is up OVER 15% right now...

Air Wisconsin's owners have made more than $36 million today since the announcement. That Debtor in Possesion agreement seems to be a pretty sweetheart deal.... for management anyway.

I think that this merger will lead to an overall reduction in cpacity with less flights to some city pairings operated with larger, more efficient aircraft (787) and/or a 737NG mk.II using more composite construction. Could this be the end of RJ mania? It would make sense from a cost point of view to have more larger aircraft flying with more seats, and perhaps a return to more turboprop feeder operations, again using new techology.
Is it possible that we may be seeing the beginning of a re-invention of the wheel in the airline industry. The airlines have been plagued by over-capacity and low yields per seat mile for years. Long before 9-11 the current paradigm has been obsolete, and consolidation is long overdue. Of course, the employees and the flying public will suffer in the process as the airlines spasm toward some as yet unknown "new order" for the 21st century.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Delta says focused on emerging as stand-alone carrier

NEW YORK, Nov 15 (Reuters) - Delta Air Lines (DALRQ.PK: Quote, Profile, Research), which got a takeover offer from US Airways Group (LCC.N: Quote, Profile, Research) valued at $8 billion, is focused on emerging from bankruptcy as a stand-alone carrier, a spokeswoman said on Wednesday.
"As we have said all along, Delta is focused on emerging as a stand-alone company," spokeswoman Betsy Talton said.

Bye Bye--General Lee

You gonna need some Union Generals now...Bobby Lee

New uniforms for the Future Merger!! All Pilots will be wearing the Silver Jump Suits with the Big Red 'V' on the chest......... It will also come with a pair of silver boots!!!! Its the future, and we gotta be ready!!!
Naval Officer/Delta Uniforms are the past!!! We have to look to the future now!!!

LMAO!! I wonder if we would all become lizards under our human skin?

Latest resources

Back