Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
It has to be lower than the airlines. How much total time/multi-time is typically required to fly freight??? Call me crazy, but I think it would actually be fun to fly freight. Also, what do you typically fly? Piston twins? Turbine???

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Typically it's not much less than the regionals and in many cases it's more. Usually your typical light freight operator is going to require part 135 minimums, which is 1200 hours. Some multi may be required depending on whether the company operates twins (A lot of these companies operate Cherokee 6's and the like, so no real need for multi time, though many also operate twins of various kinds, so multi time will usually be required for upgrade.) Exceptions may be made for companies that operate with SIC's (not uncommon) or operate VFR (very rare)

If you want to get into the jet cargo operators, you're looking at the same sorts of times you would need to get hired on at the comperable passenger airlines.

groundpointsix said:
Typically it's not much less than the regionals and in many cases it's more. Usually your typical light freight operator is going to require part 135 minimums, which is 1200 hours. Some multi may be required depending on whether the company operates twins (A lot of these companies operate Cherokee 6's and the like, so no real need for multi time, though many also operate twins of various kinds, so multi time will usually be required for upgrade.) Exceptions may be made for companies that operate with SIC's (not uncommon) or operate VFR (very rare)

If you want to get into the jet cargo operators, you're looking at the same sorts of times you would need to get hired on at the comperable passenger airlines.

Thank you

yes, more than the regionals. ya gotta keep in mind youre gonna be all alone out there; probably overloaded, flying the crappiest bucket of bolts youve ever seen, multi colored from all the patchwork, in all the rain/snow/sleet that mother nature can throw at you with a boss back in his lazy boy that has no regard for your safety, only that the boxes get there in time...with no captain to ask questions of :)

those were the days...

Not to sound sarcastic, because I am being honest...If you have 135 mins, a pulse, and minimum ME time you have a good shot at it. If you are in the mid-Atlantic...Give Package Express a call in Concord, NC. I worked there for a few months and enjoyed my time there. Small company, but has nice people. Airplanes aren't too bad and you will really mature as a pilot.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Mins...

This Question comes up at least once a week here. Anybody looking at flying Part 135 needs to know this reg. FAR 135.243(c). There are no exceptions for single pilot ops. If someone really likes you they might let you right seat to get the time, but that is very few and far between in aircraft that require less than two pilots, and its not PIC & usually low paid/unpaid/PFT.
Multi/Turbine upgrades vary widely between operators. Some start from day 1 in multi/turbine, some it might take months or years. Two basics categories are out there, those based on senority and those based on the run/company needs, usually some combination of both. The key to both is to be flexible and be able to relocate at the drop of a hat. Being young and single without ties anywhere helps, as you might imagine.

UnAnswerd said:
It has to be lower than the airlines. How much total time/multi-time is typically required to fly freight??? Call me crazy, but I think it would actually be fun to fly freight. Also, what do you typically fly? Piston twins? Turbine???

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I will call you crazy, but I will also agree with you. Freight is fun to fly. I've never hauled a passenger (for hire) since I began flying and thence have never heard anyone in the back complain. I had to load and unload cargo, but never had to handle anyone's suitcases.

Most 135 outfits stay off your back. They give you an assignment and just want you to get it there, at least that's how my old outfit was. The lifestyle can be less-than-desireable at times, but overall I liked it. Not sure if I would reccomend it to someone who is married and has a family, because the schedule can be very trying, but if you're single and looking to build time I would go for it.

When I got hired at my last outfit to fly Lears and Falcons, you needed 1500TT and 500ME as a minimum. That was 7 years ago and it might have changed by now.

I'm currently flying right seat on a freighter 727. Best job in aviation. Pay is great, lots of time off, no passengers to deal with. The only job better was when I was left seat in the DC-3...If only they could've paid me what I'm makin now....PS..I'm flying 10 days a month, 5 on 9 off makin 6 figures. Stick with it, flyin aint what it used to be but it beats workin.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back