Type Rating Question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Originally Posted by IP076

"If you can point me to a FAA Definition of "Pressurized Aircraft" I'll take a look at it, until then, I'll go on the safe side, anything with a ceiling of over 25K like it says above needs a High Altitude Endorsement."

So you would require a HA endorsement for the C-402, C-208 and any many other non-pressurized aircraft that has a service ceiling over 25K based on your ignorance?
Do the aviation commonity a favor and quit trying to interpret the regulations. If it is not clear to you by now, call the FSDO and get in writing.

I think what it comes down to most is what the insurance company will require. Most times their requirements are greater than the FAA.

Jim

Alphapilottraining.com

Very good Jim, ever see policy that specifically states that a "High Altitude endorsement" is required?

bocefus,

I have not flown pressurized aircraft outside my airline flying so I don’t have any experience in dealing with that subject. I know any aircraft that require a type rating do not require it, but it does seem logical that smaller pressurized aircraft would need some type of an endorsement.
Like I said in my previous post it is usually the insurance companies, especially with an aircraft like the 402 that set the requirements.

Jim

Alphapilottraining.com

And you are right, they do set the requirements. However I'll bet anyone ten to one that no insurance company has specified that an insured pilot must have a high altitude endorsement to be covered in a C-402.

Here's a question, Jim:

Suppose that you call your insurance company about a 414 checkout. You ask if you need a high-altitude endorsement. They say no, just a checkout from a qualified CFI.

You fly one, you get investigated for some reason, you get violated. Period.

It is a kind of laziness that prevents people from looking into this stuff.
Instead, they rely on rules of thumb and assumptions, such as the one that the insurance company's requirements are always more strict.

The FAA and the insurance companyare two different entities, with different goals. You must know and satisfy each of them individually.

100LL
Yes I totally agree. I was just saying in most cases the insurance will be more restrictive than the FAA. Of course you need to research the regs because no one wants a violation.

Jim

Alphapilottraining.com

Latest resources

Back