Type Rating Question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captredz

Is there a type rating for the Cessna 402? If not, then would you at least need an endorsement or is the good ol' multi-engine rating good enough?

The "good ol' multi-engine rating" is good enough.

No type rating is required for non-turbojet aircraft with a MGTOW of 12,500 lbs or less.

"No type rating is required for non-turbojet aircraft with a MGTOW of 12,500 lbs or less."

Mostly true. Technically, LOA's are type ratings. LOA's are required for many former warbirds that are neither turbojet powered or have a a MGTOW of over 12,500.

"The "good ol' multi-engine rating" is good enough."

Actually it's not good enough. You would need a high performance endorsement unless you were exempted by the "grandfather" clause.

Sure, there are LOAs for warbirds, etc....and I assumed that someone going into a C402 would have previously acquired a high performance endorsement in a single engine aicraft at some point in this training.

The guy asked a basic simple question about a 402. I didn't feel the need to go into all possibilities ad infinitem. But if you all feel the need, the floor is yours.....:rolleyes:

OK Flx757, I sensed your sarcasm on the last post, but lets just make sure he's got his bases covered!

Does the 402 have a service ceiling 25,000 feet or higher? If so, don't forget the High Altitude Endorsement required to log PIC (of course unless you were grandfathered in as well).

Ok... thats all. ;)

errrrr, my apologies to flx957 and user 997 for playing professor here, just trying help, not slam anyone.

A High altitude endorsement is not applicable in this case as the 402 is non-pressurized aircraft.

I think the FAA did away with the LOA's for warbirds. They now issue type ratings. At least that's what I was told in Santa Fe.

You need a high performance & complex endorsement and an AMEL rating. If the service ceiling is above 25k', you need a high altitude endorsement as well. Depending on what you plan to do (passengers or freight for hire, for example), you may also need a 121 or 135 cert...good luck with THAT!

Latest resources

Back