Type Rating Question 61.157(g)(ii)(A)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

planedriver

I am a furloughed regional pilot and I have found out that I may be eligilble to get a 737 type rating paid for through workforce development. I have 1300 total time and 550 turbojet and no military time. I have an SIC type rating in an EMB 145.

The referenced FAR states:
Hold a type rating for a turbojet airplane of the same class of airplane for which the type rating is sought...

It does not specify that the type rating you currently hold must be PIC. Am I subject to the pilot in command limitation for supervised flying as noted in 61.157 (8) and (9)(i)(ii) with just an SIC type rating and not PIC?

I am a furloughed regional pilot and I have found out that I may be eligilble to get a 737 type rating paid for through workforce development. I have 1300 total time and 550 turbojet and no military time. I have an SIC type rating in an EMB 145.

The referenced FAR states:
Hold a type rating for a turbojet airplane of the same class of airplane for which the type rating is sought...

It does not specify that the type rating you currently hold must be PIC. Am I subject to the pilot in command limitation for supervised flying as noted in 61.157 (8) and (9)(i)(ii) with just an SIC type rating and not PIC?

Unfortunately, this "SIC type rating" foolishness has created a huge mess, because it bends the definition of "type rating" and the other regulations have not reflected this change. Eventually, this (hopefuly) will all get straightened out. In the meantinme, consider that the "sic type rating" is not a type rating at all and has absolutely no significance unless your certificates are being examined by an official of a foreign country where the SIC is required to be "rated" Other than that the "SIC type rating" counts for nothing, not even bragging rights. If you keep this in mind when considering the question, I think you;ll arrive at the correct answer. (or at least I'd hope so, I'd hate to thing that a half century of the significance "type rating" would suddenly be ditched because somone invented a "SIC type rating" which is essentially a paperwork exercise)

YMMV

Why not get a citation type rating or something that you might actually find a job flying?

Why not get a citation type rating or something that you might actually find a job flying?

Also, a citation type rating is more expensive than a 737 type rating (at least at those training providers approved under the program) and the training program will not pay near the full cost of the type rating. I originally was looking at trying to get a citation or lear type.

Do you plan on getting the type in the aircraft or simulator and have you looked into the requirements for each?

one problem i see is that you only have 1300 hours,which means you don't hold an ATP. Which in turn means if you get a 737 type it could only be at the commercial level. not much good in my opinion.

one problem i see is that you only have 1300 hours,which means you don't hold an ATP. Which in turn means if you get a 737 type it could only be at the commercial level. not much good in my opinion.

Doesn't matter, really. If and when he gets his ATP the type rating will still be there, with full priveliges. THere is no such thing as a "commercial priveliges only type rating" on an ATP certificate.

Doesn't matter, really. If and when he gets his ATP the type rating will still be there, with full priveliges. THere is no such thing as a "commercial priveliges only type rating" on an ATP certificate.

learn something new everyday!

Latest resources

Back