• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Type Rating Question 61.157(g)(ii)(A)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A squared, I've been away from the forum for a while, but I just noticed your Current Position is listed as Herc FO....you're not flying the -6 anymore?

No both do not need to be PIC typed. In fact if you do not fly outside the US the SIC does not need the "SIC type rating" It's just the required training like the past. The SIC rating is to meet ICAO needs just like the English proficient statement on pilot certificates that takes effect next month. Most airlines and charter companies (and probably most corporate jet operators) put the SIC type on during initial because they can fly international trips.

So, in an aircraft such as the DC-3, both pilots need to be PIC type rated, or am I misunderstanding the FARs?

No, within the US, for a DC-3, the PIC needs to have a DC-3 type rating. THe SIC only needs to be qualified under teh relevant regulations for SIC qualification of paer 91/121/135/125, whichever the plane is being operated under. No rating is requried for hthe SIC

If you operate into one of hte countries where both pilots are requried to be rated, then yes, the SIC needs to have the "SIC type rating" on his certificate.

A squared, I've been away from the forum for a while, but I just noticed your Current Position is listed as Herc FO....you're not flying the -6 anymore?

Nope, I gave that up for Lent. Seriously, though, I took a position flying L-382's, and left my former employer behind. I really enjoyed the DC-6, but I'd had enough of the company.

Latest resources

Back