• Military (active, guard, or reserve)

Votes: 32 5.9%
  • non-flying job

Votes: 102 19.0%
  • still out of work

Votes: 144 26.8%

• Total voters
ANDY

Unfortunately, not everyone has that option. If only I did, I'd have been there yesterday wanting to know where I sign!

Like you, I'm sucking the Govt teat basically because they keep throwing money @ the problem in the hope that that will cure it! Maybe they should try to fix it first?!?! Also, I hear that unemployment has gone down the second straight month, so if you believe in statistics, things are getting better - somewhere.

Have had unemployment extended TWICE and now possibly for an unprecedented third time. Got $14,000 WIA funds earlier this year for a type rating. Did that, got no job, not even an interview anywhere. Now another agency is about to offer me more to do the same!! Is this madness or what????

I would much rather work for a living like I used to, but I guess when the opportunity is constantly denied you (yes, you guessed it - there is NO such thing as "equal opportunity" employment) what other alternative is there? I'd do anything legal provided it paid more than unemployment and had prospects. I don't even care about "benefits" anymore. And before I get flamed for that last statement, you need to know that I have previously done other work including all the P/T menial jobs you can think of - not just once, but THREE times. Let a first timer have a go; I've done my time. Why should I return for a fourth time for an indefinite period? I know what I am capable of and what I have done. I have no skeletons in the cupboard and at the last count I did not have three heads. I have NEVER let any employer down in the past and it was not my fault that the mgt never got their act together to save my previous airline. I gave up 15% of my salary plus blood, sweat and tears and all I got in return was a year of unemployment.
I have done my bit, now it's someone else's turn. Just wish the govt would actually DO something constructive like monitor the hiring practices of various aviation companies - you would not believe the scams I have uncovered so far and all of them legal apparently.
Oh well, I can't change the world, so just keep throwing more money in my direction and maybe it will happen. It sure ain't no picnic!

b757, have you tried Transmeridian? I know it's not a lot of pay, but it's a flying job. I have talked to a few guys who had given up on flying but they got a job there

metrodriver

Thanks, yes I have, about 2-3 months ago. The usual - no response. I guess I'll try again and maybe give them a call even though they don't like to get calls. Not sure how else you are supposed to follow up; it's what every "prudent" job hunter is supposed to do.

I see from your profile that you are furloughed. How successful have you been in this game? What have you been trying?

HAL

I thought you were going to Avantair. Or was it one of your fellow Hawaiians?

Last edited:
LAZYB, you must be thinking of someone else, maybe another one of the Hawaiian furloughees on this board.

HAL

You HAL guys all look the same...

HAL said:
LAZYB, you must be thinking of someone else, maybe another one of the Hawaiian furloughees on this board.

HAL

Ah, it was Jim.

So are you flying for Grant, Penn Air...?

Best of luck

Every time I get furloughed/laid off (three so far), I go make more money as a Registered Nurse. Great degree because I can work darn near anywhere, and the field is 94% women. Not bad, but I'll leave again for another flying job.

MERRY CHRISTMAS JAM HAMMS, OL DOG YOU

JAM HAMMS,

what's up? just finished ioe on the MD-80, at southeast airllines in St. pete... call me, we'll catch up.

DG

Latest resources

Back