• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Type A and Type B RNAV Arrivals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, I don't believe you are missing anything. We all know there are pilots out there that don't read anything but Maxim (not that Maxim is a bad magazine). they just don't stay up on changes in the system. How else do you explain a pilot flying into the DCA ADIZ? We would like to think, as professional pilots, that all pilots out there pay attention to changes.
I know of at least 7 pilots that have GNS FMS and still file /Q.
Things that make you go Hmmm.

I was at the avionics shop this week and asked them about our good ole GNS. The head guy called up Honeywell and the word is, so far they cannot come up with a software solution. He asked them what we were suppose to do if they can't find a solution and it seems very likely they are not going to, the answer was buy an FMZ 2000. I just laughed and said we'll go with the Universal UNS1esp if we keep this plane much longer. Sounds like approximately 60K plus installation, fortunately they will be able to utilize most of the existing wiring which will help keep the cost down somewhat.

Sorry, I don't have a GNS and am not that familar with them, what is the reason they can't fly RNAV A & B? Is it because the they don't have the SIDS and STARS built in or because you aren't able to view what your RNP is during the terminal phase (other than during approach)? Or is it something else?

JJ

JumpJetter said:
Sorry, I don't have a GNS and am not that familar with them, what is the reason they can't fly RNAV A & B? Is it because the they don't have the SIDS and STARS built in or because you aren't able to view what your RNP is during the terminal phase (other than during approach)? Or is it something else?

JJ

Sids and stars are in the data base, as I understand it, it has to do with path terminators. Such as when you reach the last point on an arrival and are suppose to fly a certain heading until being vectored, the gns will keep on trucking to the next waypoint in the flight plan and cannot command a heading change. I am sure there are other reasons but this is one that I know of. Doesn't really have to to due with rnp, it will display whether you're in the enroute or terminal mode.

JumpJetter said:
you can't enter a *GAP* after the terminating waypoint?

The FAA wants all units that can fly type a&b sids stars to do so with no pilot intervention, so legally you cannot alter the ariival or departure. I never tried it but you probably could put a gap in the flight plan, but the problem is what will it do when it reaches the gap.
The star that we use the most, although it's not yet a rnav one is a perfect example, dodje3 into the Dallas area. For our destination the last waypoint is cabby after that you fly a 280 degree heading for vectors. The gns will simply direct you to the destination or next waypoint you have in the flight plan. The FAA say that after reaching cabby it must command a heading of 280 degrees with no pilot intervention.

I have heard, but am not possitive, that with the GNS, if you have an arrival loaded and you manually insert a waypoint or gap, it will dump the whole arrival. But again, the FAA wants the box to do it without pilot assistance.

Latest resources

Back