• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Type A and Type B RNAV Arrivals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Heres an example: Descending into IAD from the north about a month ago. Choices are the Delro Arrival or the Hyper which is an RNAV procedure. The fixes are the exact same except the Delro publishes a heading for the downwind and the Hyper has an additional fix or two to get you established on the dw leg. (sorrry i dont have both plates in front of me as I write this)
"N12345, i see you filed the Delro, can you accept the HyperArrival?
Negative we are a /L. Next aircraft behind us, same question, "Affirm", OK then, "cleared via the Hyper and descend via the Hyper to maintain 6000"
I realize each procedure will vary but maybe this will help a little.

HawkerF/O said:
ATC will assign you the SID/STAR all day long. What I was trying to say is that if you are not legal to fly the SID/STAR because of your FMS, ATC does not know that.
I understood what you meant and I disagree with putting "no SIDS/STARS" in the remarks section. If ATC assigns an RNAV procedure, I simply say "unable". If I'm 300 miles out and hear other A/C getting an RNAV arrival, I notify ATC ASAP. Haven't had a single problem with controllers. I've also never flown an illegal procedure.

Last edited:
Now if you state "no RNAV SID/STAR"

Are all RNAV SID/STARS either type A or type B? Are there some that are just basic RNAV?
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt type A & B predicated on the RNP value? And that is why the GNS can't do them. Because the box only understands RNP in the approach mode?

Or is it because for some STARS (Jaike1 for example) there are "off arrival" intersections that you can't manually insert into the GNS because it will dump the arrival?

My brain hurts.

Neither

Capthuff said:
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt type A & B predicated on the RNP value? And that is why the GNS can't do them. Because the box only understands RNP in the approach mode?

Or is it because for some STARS (Jaike1 for example) there are "off arrival" intersections that you can't manually insert into the GNS because it will dump the arrival?
Yes, it is my understanding that Type and A & B have to do with RNP or Radar coverage, but that's not why the GNS can't do them. The "phantom" fixes on the JAIKE also aren't the reason GNS's aren't useable.

It's simply that the GNS aren't "smart" enough. The engineers in Olathe, Kansas have squeezed out all they can with the limited amount of memory the GNS has on it. From its memory they've eliminated all airports with runways less than 3000', they've eliminated ILS, etc. well the FAA finally stepped in and said enough.

Here's why, going back to the TEB example, if you punch in the TEB5 SID, coming off runway 6, the GNS will navigate you directly to the PNJ NDB, the GNS does not have the ability to fly a 040 heading until 1500' then turn left directly to PNJ, as is required by the SID. The UNS does, same example the UNS in NAV mode will fly a 040 heading till 1500' then turn you directly to PNJ, without any pilot intervention.

Now obviously TEB5 is a ground based SID, not RNAV, but you can see what kind of problems this can lead to as the FAA is implementing more and more RNAV SIDs. So the AFS 400 simply stepped in and said in order to fly RNAV SIDS/STARS an FMS must have proper "path terminators" and the GNS simply doesn't measure up, it has nothing to do with accuracy, simply the ability to fly a procedure that includes heading or courses to altitude, etc.

501261 said:
Here's why, going back to the TEB example, if you punch in the TEB5 SID, coming off runway 6, the GNS will navigate you directly to the PNJ NDB, the GNS does not have the ability to fly a 040 heading until 1500' then turn left directly to PNJ, as is required by the SID. The UNS does, same example the UNS in NAV mode will fly a 040 heading till 1500' then turn you directly to PNJ, without any pilot intervention.

Now obviously TEB5 is a ground based SID, not RNAV, but you can see what kind of problems this can lead to as the FAA is implementing more and more RNAV SIDs. So the AFS 400 simply stepped in and said in order to fly RNAV SIDS/STARS an FMS must have proper "path terminators" and the GNS simply doesn't measure up, it has nothing to do with accuracy, simply the ability to fly a procedure that includes heading or courses to altitude, etc.

That's the best explaination I've seen yet.

Mercury said:
Heres an example: Descending into IAD from the north about a month ago. Choices are the Delro Arrival or the Hyper which is an RNAV procedure. The fixes are the exact same except the Delro publishes a heading for the downwind and the Hyper has an additional fix or two to get you established on the dw leg. (sorrry i dont have both plates in front of me as I write this)
"N12345, i see you filed the Delro, can you accept the HyperArrival?
Negative we are a /L. Next aircraft behind us, same question, "Affirm", OK then, "cleared via the Hyper and descend via the Hyper to maintain 6000"
I realize each procedure will vary but maybe this will help a little.

If you file L, J, or Q then you are telling ATC that you are RNP and RVSM. Q is the basic and L and J are more specific. I got this information directly from the Jacksonville Center Supervisor.

So my point is that if you file L then they will assume you are legal to accept that procedure unless it is a type A which you must meet other qualifications.

Last edited:
Another great discussion (one of few on this board!!). RNAV A and B is not just a problem at the big airports. Take a look at Rifle, CO, a primary divert for Aspen when the weather goes down cause they have an ILS, 7000' runway and it's an easy drive to ASE. EVERY DP is now an RNAV Type B DP!

Look at the back of the Jepps 10-9. You have an Obstacle Departure proceedure for RW 8, but what about RW26? It says to fly the RNAV SID??? WTFO? If you have greater than 10 knots down RW 26 I don't see how you can leagally get out of RIL unless you have a box that can fly these Type A and B DPs? (if it's IFR of course) OBTW field elev is 5500' and ATC (DEN Center) has radar coverage down to about 9000' MSL. So you can't take radar vectors.

I'm frustrated that on any obstacle DP they would tell you to fly an RNAV proceedure. It's like the FAA is not talking to ATC and they aren't talking to us....

Am I wrong? Hopefully this will get us a new box!

ww24dude

Latest resources

Back