Two stripes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Partridge

A common thing in Europe, I was just wondering if there are any airlines in de US where the F/O wears either two or three stripes, depending on experience level.

What about flight engineers?

Thanks,

Partridge

As an FE in the 72, I wore 3 stripes. Don't know why, though. Maybe 'cause the Stewardesses/Stewards wore 2 stripes.

Maybe I'm just naive...but does the number of stripes really have that huge of an impact on someone's life? 2? 3? How about 1? What if the captain wore 1 and the FO none? Then what? Or if the CA wore 4 but the FO wore 2 and the ramp guy had to wear 1?

:confused::beer:

-mini

Back in the day the FE wore 2 FO 3 and capts 4. Just like on ships. I think Pan Am got that one going with their flying boats. One of the reasons AC are still sometimes called "ships"

minitour said:
Maybe I'm just naive...but does the number of stripes really have that huge of an impact on someone's life? 2? 3? How about 1? What if the captain wore 1 and the FO none? Then what? Or if the CA wore 4 but the FO wore 2 and the ramp guy had to wear 1?

:confused::beer:

-mini
Well, I plan on sewing an extra stripe on my jacket and eppulets when I upgrade, giving me 5 stripes, since I can't afford the Flava Flav Pilot Watch. :rolleyes:

Referring to someone asking whether the number of stripes should have much impact on ones life, I would have to say I hope not. My personal gripe with the system (don't like it much) is the perception to the flying public that it creates. Some passengers are of a nervous disposition and surely they must realise too that two stripes equals less experience than three. I just don't think it has to be that visible - and come to think of it, what is the purpose anyway? Why the distinction for people that have the same rank and same job?

Anyway, these are my ramblings; I will let you get on with it.

Huggyu2 said:
As an FE in the 72, I wore 3 stripes. Don't know why, though. Maybe 'cause the Stewardesses/Stewards wore 2 stripes.

Cabin crew wear one stripe. Generally, it looks like two stripes because instead of just haveing a single stripe they outline both sides of the stripe to make it not look so lonely.

Cabin crew = 1
FE/Navigator = 2
FO = 3
Captain = 4

I think that it is Quantas, or maybe Lufthansa that give first-year first officers only two stripes (the probationary period). I can't remember if I read it or if someone told me that.

Personally, I think that any FFDO should get red stipes, you know, like the marine's who get their blood stripe (kidding).

Latest resources

Back