Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flightjock30

Fellow Pilots,
Hello. I am a 20 year old college junior and private pilot. I used to be a great kid in high school, but unfortunately I decided to attend a large university where the partying atmosphere took over me. Over the past three years there I was arrested for a DUI on one occassion and ten months later was arrested for forging a drivers license to get into bars underage.
Now I know some of you are laughing and saying to yourself what an idiot! And you are right, I am! I lost focus on my goal in life to fly commercially and was not disciplined. I got in trouble with the law and now am paying the price. AND BELIEVE ME I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON! I recently withdrew from school to take a semester off and work at the airport refueling jets full time. I plan on using this money to get the rest of my flight ratings to pursue an aviation career. Do I have any chance at all of ever making it to a Regional or Corporate company with my background ten years down the road? (Im not even going to mention Majors). I would be willing to flight instruct and fly 135 cargo for many years, however long it will take to have these two incidents not be scrutinized so severely during interviews. Thank you. Jon.

FlightJock,
If you keep yourself clean for a while you do have a chance. I have a friend who flies a gulfstream who received a DUI 7 years ago. Keep your head up and a good attitude and it could happen.

In my opinion, if you had all your hours and licences now and were ready to apply to the airlines right now, you'd probably have no chance of getting in.

However, times are changing, and I'm sure it'd take at least 4 years for you to start applying to the airlines, and by then it might not be as competitive as it is now (airlines might not be as picky about their candidates anymore). Besides, if you stay clean from now on, it will show progress. I think you'll have a good chance in the future.

BESIDES, REMEMBER, your resume doesn't say that you have a DUI on your record, and that's what most recruiters read when the are deciding on whether to call you for an interview or not. Most of the airlines find out about your record either on an interview or when they send you their detailed application, by then, it's easier to explain it in person.

I am a 20 year old college junior and private pilot.

You must be pretty close to your commercial since you have 3450 hours and have flown the Brasilia and CRJ. Looks like your arrest record hasn't stifled you one bit.

welcome to fantasy island

youre 20 years old

have 3500 hours

and have flown a CRJ and EMB 120

why do you have time in these aircraft?

if you did you would have a job already

how did you acquire those kind of hours while attending college full time

next time research your lies a little better.

bssthound said:
I am a 20 year old college junior and private pilot.

You must be pretty close to your commercial since you have 3450 hours and have flown the Brasilia and CRJ. Looks like your arrest record hasn't stifled you one bit.

Actually, he's either someone logged in with someone else's username, or this is all total BS.

His profile says he has a Commerical, CFI, CFII and MEI...not to mention the 3450 hours and time in a CRJ and EMB-120.

I love all this rehab give him a second chance bullsh*t; fact of the matter is you screwed up with your DUI and I sure as hell don't want you flying my family around.

Maybe you really have learned a lesson, and maybe you'll even become God's gift to flying. Fact is for everyone one of you, there are a thousand other highly qualified pilots looking for work who don't have a DUI and excercised a better degree of self-control than you. I would be appalled if any airline chose you over the latter - imagine the PR consequences if you were involved in an incident and your history came public?

You fu*ked up; stop whining and live with the consequences.

Latest resources

Back