• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Two arrests!! Do I have a chance?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'll be the devil's advocate here....don't hate me too much for it.

But whether or not it is a hiring boom in all of the airline side of aviation, it is always competitive. And not to say ANY of us are incapable of making bad choices and mistakes along the way....but when you are sitting in that room with a DUI and DL fraud under your belt, and there is another 15 people in line right outside the door who may have worked as hard or harder and managed to keep themselves clean along the roads we all travel, why would they pick you? Should they? Without regret for the past few years, which have been some of the best in my life, I still would need a d*mn good reason why there would be one less seat taken by someone who did indeed participate in activities many of us passed on. I know I did. And for good reason.......for this reason. Though for many of us it may have been for moral reasons, I'll be the first to admit I'm not joining friends at bars and clubs with a fakee, or driving after drinking(even a BIT) because I am scared more than anything that the effort and time and sacrafice taken, and family support recieved up to this point will be foolishly lost if I participate in such immature activities, or make such poor decisions.

You may have it figured out right now. I don't doubt you are as clean as a bell. The phase may be over. But when the smoke clears you got nailed for the risks, and others didn't. Plain and simple. Walkiing up to you I probably wouldn't be able to tell for a second you have a record. Hell we might be friends. But checkrides are busted and passed by a matter of feet and degrees. 1 bad decision. 1 unfortunate occurence. A few extra seconds of fixation. Theres a thin line between you and us, real thin. Might be finding a ride home at the last second, or knowing the bouncer at a club, but it's there. And it counts.

If I had two applications in front of me, personally I don't care how many hours you have or how well you interview, I know that I'll have a candidate walk through that door the next day with the same or better quals and a clean record. After all, pilot shortages are a myth, that goes the same for 'clean' pilots.

Now, corporate might be a different story. Often it's all about who you know, I know a couple chicks who are daughters of corporate big wigs and they are sitting right seat in turbofan equip despite the fact they can't fly a kite. If you're a good person and CAN fly a kite, you've got a shot.

Good Luck.......
T-hawk

Traumahawk said:
I know a couple chicks who are daughters of corporate big wigs and they are sitting right seat in turbofan equip despite the fact they can't fly a kite.

Of course, there have never been any guys that were sons of corporate big wigs who would fall into this exact same scene, now have there? :rolleyes:

Sorry for not explaining who I am. My mentor, an airline pilot for Continental Express, gave me his account information so I could log on and ask this question. He was not totally sure of the answer. It sounds like I do not have much of a chance. But by talking to so many airline pilots online they all said they would never recommend anyone pursue aviation as a career anymore. I will just go back to school and get my finance degree. Thanks for the responses. Jon.

hey janitor, thanks for all the insight on since you must be an expert after just finishing your commercial checkride. i have a excellent job and just got accused but not yet convicted of dui. i've also gotten in trouble for having a beer underage previously. i was honest and told my boss the whole deal and there is no problem at all. hey flightjock, don't let these guys get you down, find an employer that will look at you with the whole picture. would you want to sit in a cockpit with a stiff like janitor for 5 hours giving you b*ll**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** about something bad from you past. good luck!

no worries

unavchaser,
Think that maybe you might have a problem with alchol? Look at your avitar? Good luck finding a real job flying.

In today's environment, namely supply and demand....with thousands of highly qualified people on the street with no convictions, I'd say your chances are non existent with a major (as you indicated). Honestly, I would believe it would apply to other avaition jobs as well in this job market.

Also, I don't have the TSA's new guidlines but I think the forgery conviction would disqualify you from holding a security clearance for the airport access areas.

Last edited:
uavchaser said:
hey janitor, thanks for all the insight on since you must be an expert after just finishing your commercial checkride. i have a excellent job and just got accused but not yet convicted of dui. i've also gotten in trouble for having a beer underage previously. i was honest and told my boss the whole deal and there is no problem at all. hey flightjock, don't let these guys get you down, find an employer that will look at you with the whole picture. would you want to sit in a cockpit with a stiff like janitor for 5 hours giving you b*ll**CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** about something bad from you past. good luck!

no worries

uavchaser,

Yeah, your alcohol problems aren't causing you any difficulties, right now, in your present job. If I recall correctly, you're chasing uav's around the desert in a 206. Nothing wrong with that, but is that where you want to be 30 years from now? Sure, I can also give you the phone number of half a dozen 135 operators in bush Alaska who won't care about a dui or 2. The thing is, Jon is asking about how it will affect employment at the airlines, so the fact that your current employer is unconcerned is pretty irrelevant to his question.

As far as your comments about janitor's experience level, ummm, so what? Regardless of his experience level, his views are shared by many airline passengers. The airlines are aware of this (and to some degree share this view), so as a result, a a series of alchohol related convictions will be a liability in getting a job.

As for this gem:

".......find an employer that will look at you with the whole picture."

OK, let's play that game, let's take a look at your "whole picture"

I don't know much about you, here's what I do know: in your short life you have an underage drinking conviction, you are facing DUI charges, and you chose a picture of a bottle of gin for your Avatar. Any one of these facts doesn't prove anything by itself, but we put them together and we see a picture starting to develop. Couple that with your attitude that your drinking may be getting you in legal trouble, but you don't care because it doesn't matter, and I think that many desirable employers would take a pass on you.

a squared, im actually not chasing anymore and have moved on to an excellent paying job, i just cant get rid of the screen name. as for my avatar read my previous post. ive changed how i do things since all this stuff happened to me and my employer knows it and has no problem with what happened. as for the underage drinking thing i had a beer in my hand while bbq-ing my dinner in lake havasu at age 20, BFD. flightjock was just wondering about his chances of making it in aviation, don't say he doesn't have any chance because of a mistake in the past. as long as they can be explained and truthfully accounted for then there shouldn't be much of a problem in the future. as for the document forging, a security clearance might be a difficult to obtain. thanks for your gem about my whole picture of me that you have seen from 2 posts on a message board.

Latest resources

Back