• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

TWA pilot lawsuit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Tell ya' what. When you get yourself educated on what REALLY happened to the former TWA pilots (due to alpo National and not the LEC), we will discuss. Until then you are only showing your ignorance (or disregard) of the facts.
If you really take the time to understand the facts of the aa/TWA situation, you will realize that your comments reference the AirTran merger are meaningless.

You speak the truth.

A great pilot group. An Airline whose history included Lindbergh and Juan Trippe. Sold out by ALPA national in a vain attempt to lure Americans pilots into the arms of ALPA. The sky nazis from American didn't help. Ironically, their arrogance has come back to bite them.

A pilot group that perceives itself as so much better than another and tries to staple them. Sound familiar .... ? :D

Tell ya' what. When you get yourself educated on what REALLY happened to the former TWA pilots (due to alpo National and not the LEC), we will discuss. Until then you are only showing your ignorance (or disregard) of the facts.
If you really take the time to understand the facts of the aa/TWA situation, you will realize that your comments reference the AirTran merger are meaningless.

When do you think you will get recalled to AA?

You speak the truth.

A great pilot group. An Airline whose history included Lindbergh and Juan Trippe. Sold out by ALPA national in a vain attempt to lure Americans pilots into the arms of ALPA. The sky nazis from American didn't help. Ironically, their arrogance has come back to bite them.

A pilot group that perceives itself as so much better than another and tries to staple them. Sound familiar .... ? :D

Exactly, I'm not saying all that was done was true and pure. But the union is self serving in almost every instance and there is a much more fatalistic approach from ALPA national then the local members would like.
History has shown that whenever one group begins to think they are superior, they field always levels, unfortunately history has shown that it levels at a lower level.
Best of luck on this SLI, if SWAPA can truly pull it off without a pilot feeling they were screwed by their union, then I will be in awe of their leadership.

He did. I think what he meant to say was Jack Frye who was a Kansas City businessman and one of the original founders of Transcontinental Air Transport, later known as Trans World Airlines.

PHXFLYR:cool:

I guess your right, with SWAPA doing such a fine job looking out for the future of the profession, age 65 and all..... I love the Johnny-come-lately ALPA slammers who work for a company that spent the better part of the 70's-90's slowly dragging down the pilot compensation through low rates, no pension, and no retiree medical care. After ALPA is forced to comply with the terms SWAPA has arranged for the profession through concessions at the hands of a BK court, airline failures, etc, then you come on here to chastise and belittle. Enjoy SWAPA's time at the top of the pax payscales, I sincerely hope it lasts your whole career, but just remember, your only #1 until your not.

Amen. I cant ever remember reading words that ring so true. I am not slinging mud, just the facts man.

You probably never had any intention of leaving TWA either. It's a tough business and anyone who blames ALPA for all the forces aligned to take away power, pay and benefits from pilots should spend a little time "educating themselves about the facts".

Fact: TWA was robbed blind for over a decade by Icahn and others and was a mere shell of its former self. The contract sucked as did the route structure (compared to the glory days). This weakened condition led to the vulnerability that brings the sharks to the door. Whether or not there was any real viable option will not be known. I wanted to fly there since 1967 and was sorry to see them go, but blaming ALPA is a fools errand.

Last edited:
Truth,

I don't think anyone is blaming ALPA for TWA not being around anymore. I think the gripe is that after 70 years of TWA pilots paying dues to ALPA, they really should have represented us better in the American SLI. Regardless of what you think the outcome would have been, I believe that they owed it to us to try.

You probably never had any intention of leaving TWA either. It's a tough business and anyone who blames ALPA for all the forces aligned to take away power, pay and benefits from pilots should spend a little time "educating themselves about the facts".

Fact: TWA was robbed blind for over a decade by Icahn and others and was a mere shell of its former self. The contract sucked as did the route structure (compared to the glory days). This weakened condition led to the vulnerability that brings the sharks to the door. Whether or not there was any real viable option will not be known. I wanted to fly there since 1967 and was sorry to see them go, but blaming ALPA is a fools errand.

The sharks are indeed alpo National, and no, I am not running a fools errand putting the blame squarely on alpo. That is precisely where it belongs and that is why the lawsuit against them has not been thrown out of court. Take your own advice and get educated. This is unbelievable. I give up.

Latest resources

Back