Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
ATRDRIVER,

I used a poor choice of words. Boeing issued information asking operators to not run the center tanks dry and to keep a certain amount of Jet-A in them. I never said anything about the FAA but since I stated AD I guess thats what was implied. Sorry for the confusion.

Perhaps your apologies should be directed toward me. Are you typed on the 747?

wasnt this flight going to paris?

i dont know anything about the fuel loads for this route or anything. but what is the normal fuel load for this trip? do the rest of the tanks have enough capacity that the center tank can be empty for nyc-paris?

dash8driver said:
[D]o the rest of the tanks have enough capacity that the center tank can be empty for [JFK]-[P]aris?
Uh...what are you saying? Are you suggesting that maybe the crew didn't know it was empty? :confused:

I didn't work for TWA, and I don't know what their procedures were like, but I imagine they probably wouldn't have taken off if they didn't have enough fuel to get to their destination.

Typhoon1244 said:
Uh...what are you saying? Are you suggesting that maybe the crew didn't know it was empty? :confused:

I didn't work for TWA, and I don't know what their procedures were like, but I imagine they probably wouldn't have taken off if they didn't have enough fuel to get to their destination.

no, i'm saying the center tank was actually full. they just said it was empty to corroborate the fuel pump explosion so they wouldnt have to admit that the aliens did it after they got pissed for bush throwing up their martian sushi.

dont try to read too much into it, you'll hurt yourself. i'm just wondering what the fuel requirements and tank capacity from nyc to paris is.

if they did take off without enough fuel, its not like it would have been the first time something like that happened or something similar was overlooked. i mean who would ever think that you could miss putting the flaps down before you're going to take off? but thats not what i'm getting at....relax.

its a simple question..dont make it complicated

You freak'n complicator you!!!

dash8driver said:
no, i'm saying the center tank was actually full. they just said it was empty to corroborate the fuel pump explosion so they wouldnt have to admit that the aliens did it after they got pissed for bush throwing up their martian sushi.

dont try to read too much into it, you'll hurt yourself. i'm just wondering what the fuel requirements and tank capacity from nyc to paris is.

if they did take off without enough fuel, its not like it would have been the first time something like that happened or something similar was overlooked. i mean who would ever think that you could miss putting the flaps down before you're going to take off? but thats not what i'm getting at....relax.

its a simple question..dont make it complicated

dash8driver said:

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing myself, everything (in the official explanation) seems to hinge on that center tank being empty. Now like Dash8 I'm ignorant of 747 fuel capacities, burns and ranges, but just off the top of my head, it would seem like a 747 which had very recently departed on a trans-atlantic flight wouldn't have a major tank empty, but then maybe it would. Anyone with actual operational knowledge of 747's have any light to shed?

Been a while, but, yes, the flight is not that long so center tank would be empty. Heck, might be empty on the MD11 on that route, depending on winds and what alternate you have filed.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back