Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Typhoon1244

Member in Good Standing
Just finished reading Night Fall by Nelson DeMille...interesting story.

It got me wondering: how many of you think the loss of TWA 800 was something other than a freak accident? Do any of y'all* give any credence to the suggestion that this was a terrorist act?

http://www.twa800.com/index.htm

* See how quickly I'm adapting to living in Tennessee?

Typhoon1244 said:
Do any of y'all* give any credence to the suggestion that this was a terrorist act?

Excellent use of the vernacular. :)

I don't. I believe it was a fuel pump in a relatively empty fuel tank. Very similar circumstances befell several other Beoing 4-engine jets, but since the crews were entirely comprised of military volunteers, hardly an eyebrow was raised. Ground all the -135's for a day or so, no big deal. Pull circuit breakers if the tanks get empty, no big deal. Wait a few years for redesign of new pump, no big deal.

Ground all the 747's in the world for a few hours?!?! Not gonna happen. Boeing admit faulty design? Not gonna happen. Boeing admit foreknowledge of faulty design? Not in your wildest dreams.

In my opinion, the only conspiracy was to keep Boeing afloat.

Maybe I carry a grudge against Boeing because I knew one of the men who died when a KC-135 blew up on final at Loring AFB, ME. But I think you'll find there's no disagreement about the location of the intial explosion. Furthermore, Boeing has modified the pumps/wiring/tanks to prevent a reoccurrence.

That's my take.

Any other theory is just an opportunity for some people to grab a little fame, others to sell some print. Forget about it. It belongs in the file marked "More Ridiculous Conspiracy Theories"

Here is another site that has some pretty good information.

http://flight800.org/

Highly unlikely it was a "spark" in the tank that caused this to happen, too many holes and evidence that go against that.

http://flight800.org/petition/pet_sect6.htm

FACT: The center wing tank (CWT) of TWA Flight 800 contained damage that "was not explained in the breakup sequence."[6] Exploding fuel vapors, an onboard fire, ocean impact, nor any other segment of the official crash sequence could be ascribed to the "localized recrystallization"[6] of aluminum found at the rear of the CWT.

Interesting reading to put it mildly.

give any credence to the suggestion that this was a terrorist act?

Probably not, a better chance that it was accidental due to friendly fire.

http://flight800.org/petition/pet_sect4.htm

A very powerful force was needed to launch wreckage out the right side of the aircraft almost precisely when the aircraft lost electrical power. Some of this wreckage evidently landed in a debris field that was officially never located-a debris field that could have contained the "significant missing structure" that officials believe exited the plane early in the crash sequence.[Wildey, 1997 #91] But regardless of whether wreckage was officially located or not, the radar evidence is enough to call into question several key findings made by the NTSB.

ASSESSMENT: The CVR data from Flight 800 may contain all the information necessary to conclusively determine the type and origin of the explosion that caused the jetliner to crash-the two most important findings of the investigation that have eluded all other NTSB investigative groups. The NTSB withheld the very analysis that may contain this information. The investigative group charged with making conclusions based upon that analysis has not reviewed or even met with the NTSB to discuss it.

ASSESSMENT: The NTSB is urged to immediately release the Southampton analysis (or at least all non-sensitive information from that analysis) to the parties to the investigation and the public, in accordance with Title 49 of the US code.

Some things are probably better left unsaid.

http://flight800.org/nat_security.htm

When news of the suspicious ships surfaced, Accuracy in Media President Reed Irvine phoned up former FBI Assistant Director and lead TWA 800 investigator, James Kallstrom. Kallstrom, recently retired from the FBI, responded quite candidly during the taped phone interview: "they were Navy vessels that were on classified maneuvers."

To compare Kallstrom's claim with official sources, FIRO's Chair, Tom Stalcup, sent a letter to FBI Assistant Director Lewis D. Schiliro, requesting the identities of all unidentified air and surface targets near Flight 800. One month after receiving this letter, Mr. Schiliro retired from his FBI post, and his office is presently searching for the letter, which was sent via certified, return receipt mail and CC'd to two Congresspersons. View the letter here.

This site raises some very interesting questions that is backed up with factual evidence and documentation that is pretty hard to dispute and it also shows that much of what has been made public to date is somewhat flawed to put it mildly.

3 5 0

Last edited:
I think TWA800 was brought down. Just how I don't know. Tony has a point about the 707's/-135's. What about the AA Bus that went down in NYC in 11/01? To me though, if these ships were that dangerous then pilots would refuse to fly them. Like gravityhater stated it could be just people wanting to grab attention.

Guess my government has done things that cause me to be skeptical. Plus there seems to be some "credible" sources questioning the TWA800 (e.g., a former UAL cappy, couple of biz jet pilots) and some alleged slips of the tongue from our politicians saying TWA was shot down.

350DRIVER said:
...a better chance that it was accidental due to friendly fire.
There may indeed be some holes in the official story, but I don't buy the "friendly fire" theory. It'd be impossible to keep that secret. Too many people involved. Look at the Vincennes incident: within minutes, the whole ship knew exactly what'd happened.

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
I think TWA800 was brought down. Just how I don't know. Tony has a point about the 707's/-135's. What about the AA Bus that went down in NYC in 11/01? To me though, if these ships were that dangerous then pilots would refuse to fly them. Like gravityhater stated it could be just people wanting to grab attention.

Guess my government has done things that cause me to be skeptical. Plus there seems to be some "credible" sources questioning the TWA800 (e.g., a former UAL cappy, couple of biz jet pilots) and some alleged slips of the tongue from our politicians saying TWA was shot down.

Just a little info from someone there!

AA Airbus flight crashed b/c the "God Pilot" F/O was trained that use of rudder to help regain the proper attitude is the proper procedure. He would have been trained because at the time American was training this. I know because I was a former TWA pilot who saw the video with 2300 other TWA pilots. Many of us were amazed that AA was teaching this "unorthadox" and dangerous procedure.

As far as 800, I was flying back from KBOS to KJFK that evening. It didn't just blow up. I too, like many others saw the "streak" heading skyward from the ocean.

Being typed on the 747 and very familiar with the systems of the 747, I am sure that it didn't blow up on it's own. Go ahead and throw a match on a pool of jet a. The match will be extingushed. The fuel must be vaporized to attain the flashpoint for ignition.

Besides, It was an election year. "I smoked, but didn't inhale" yeah right Clinton!

50/50 - TWA 800 shot down (gub'ment or terrorist) or bombed (terrorists). Very good incentive to keep people quiet in both instances so we don't "scare the people". Too many large Boeings with similar fuel systems been flying for 35+ years and only one "blowing up" in flight. Don't buy it.

And if you don't think think the gub'ment will kill US citizens - just axe Randy Weaver's wife and son or those 2+ dozen women & childrens who used to live near Waco... doh, can't axe them - they're all dead!! kinda like the IR video expert Carlos Ghigliotti (died) and Dr Edward Allard (stroke) just prior testify to Congress that the FBI was shooting into the bldg just prior to the final fire. Doh!! I better be quiet...

I just love good conspiracy discussion, if only innocent Americans weren't being killed out of negligence, for the sake of revenge or being perceived as resisting the "authorities"...

my 2 cents

Whale Pilot said:
Just a little info from someone there!

AA Airbus flight crashed b/c the "God Pilot" F/O was trained that use of rudder to help regain the proper attitude is the proper procedure. He would have been trained because at the time American was training this. I know because I was a former TWA pilot who saw the video with 2300 other TWA pilots. Many of us were amazed that AA was teaching this "unorthadox" and dangerous procedure.

just curious why top rudder is "unorthodox"? it's basic aerobatics 101. granted an a-300 isn't an extra......

and all you conspiracy buffs out there. terrorists usually brag over and over about blowing stuff up. if the govt. couldn't keep clinton's hummers quiet what makes you think they can keep that quiet?

Latest resources

Back