Twa 800

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CitationLover said:
[J]ust curious why top rudder is "unorthodox"? t's basic [A]erobatics 101.
It's unorthadox in an airplane that's neither certified nor stressed for it.

Typhoon1244 said:
It's unorthadox in an airplane that's neither certified nor stressed for it.

Bingo! I fly aerobatics too! But, I am not going to go out and do snap rolls the next time I am flying a track in the 747!

There was a second gunman on the grassy knoll...

Oh, sorry. Wrong conpsiracy.

Also check out the book First Strike by Cashill and Sanders. It also takes a look at the evidence like Nightfall, but doesn't have a fictional subplot. Link

Based on the evidence that is available concerning TWA 800, there's no longer any doubt in my mind that it was a terrorist attack. The only question remaining is whether covering it up was the right thing to do.
Nearly all of the evidence; eyewitnesses, radar data, wreckage, flight profile- is consistant with a MANPADS engagement. There was a credible terrorist threat recieved the day prior, and a claim of responsibility the day after. The NTSB's theory of a spontaneous high-order explosion of Jet-A vapor is impossible. There is a record of widespread tampering with evidence, arbitrary changing of stories in press conferences, coercion of witnesses, even a gag order issued by President Clinton. The list goes on and on. If this were a criminal trial, and all of the evidence were presented to a jury, they would deliberate for all of five minutes before reaching the same conclusion. It's an open-and-shut case!

I don't think it was friendly fire. The physical evidence and eyewitness accounts don't support that, and it would be too hard to keep a secret.
I think a more likely scenario is that we had intelligence about a terrorist attack against an aircraft in the Long Island area, and we had assets in the area to try to stop it, but we were unsuccessful.

It's just too bad that Bill Clinton didn't launch the War on Terror after this attack. With the Olympics starting in Atlanta in a few days, and a presidential election just four months away, he had plenty of motive to sweep it under the rug. Maybe if we had used this attack to finally target terrorism around the world, the phrase would be "7/17" instead of "9/11", and a lot of Americans would still be alive!

Axel said:
There was a second gunman on the grassy knoll...

Oh, sorry. Wrong conpsiracy.

Now you've done it...

Where's mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmdonut with his "EMP Guns" ?

A MANPAD would not bring down a 747, and TWA 800 was too high at the time to be hit by one. It would have had a hit to the engine, but still has 3 others. Even if it has been a fuselage hit, it still would not have caused a breakup.

Typhoon1244 said:
There may indeed be some holes in the official story, but I don't buy the "friendly fire" theory. It'd be impossible to keep that secret. Too many people involved. Look at the Vincennes incident: within minutes, the whole ship knew exactly what'd happened.

This is a common misconception. It is entirely possible for thousands of briefed individuals to keep the deepest secrets for years. The military is FULL of black systems that remain so. The stealth fighter is a good example. I'm not saying this is the case w/ this incident, though.

As for the Airbus accident, the FO contributed but the data also showed some oddities. It's not a big stretch to consider a yaw damper system. 'Bus encounters some wake, the AC yaws pretty aggressively, and the yaw damper goes batty. Much like Boeings rash of 737 rudder PCU failures. They weren't supposed to happen but they did.

twa 800

It was a terrorist attack. My dad flew 747 out of JFK for his last 5 years of flying-you don't transfer fueling after takeoff flying to Europe or have and empty center tank. The us gov't hid this to avoid a panic to future flying public-that would stop the industry cold. PS. He was hesitant to talk about it, for he too knows the long arm of the US gov't to keep anyone "permanantly quiet",ALA can you spell KGB !!! Like the doctor who found the cure for cancer many years ago-hes "living" somewhere in the Islands- too much money loss for many if a "cure" was found. Just "manage" it, like just "deal with it". Like aids now-no one really wants to
"cure" it , just manage for life- keep the money flowing then....

Swede said:
This is a common misconception. It is entirely possible for thousands of briefed individuals to keep the deepest secrets for years. The military is FULL of black systems that remain so. The stealth fighter is a good example. I'm not saying this is the case w/ this incident, though.

As for the Airbus accident, the FO contributed but the data also showed some oddities. It's not a big stretch to consider a yaw damper system. 'Bus encounters some wake, the AC yaws pretty aggressively, and the yaw damper goes batty. Much like Boeings rash of 737 rudder PCU failures. They weren't supposed to happen but they did.

You can't be serious? Are you trying to get a job at AA?

I suppose all your "experience" in aviation brought you to this conclusion? Were you in class where the "training video" was presented? Were you familiar with AMR's training curriculum at that time? I didn't think so!

Are you aware that AMR has to send their pilots to recurrent more often than other airlines due to their safety record?

Are you aware that AA pilots have killed more passengers than any other airline? Cali?, JFK, Little Rock. They have the worst safety record. AMR has a whole department dedicated to their image.

I hear they need people like you!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back