• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Turned down a CAL job offer today

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
most legacy carriers are operating under a 9/11 butchered contract. management took the supplied axe and chopped everything they could. some pilot groups swung back and kept some things off the chopping block.

some pilot groups threw the entire contract on the block and management made confetti of it. CAL pilots let that happen. i wasn't a CAL pilot then. i'm a CAL pilot now. the great majority of CAL pilots know the mistakes made and are prepared to slug out a new deal that is fair. our Union has finally tranformed from a management-intern position to one committed to the pilot group.

look for vast improvements on CAL's next deal. the current deal sucks more than a Tool Time-modified vacuum cleaner. i look forward to propelling my career and my company onward and upward. i'm encouraged by the efforts of our group going forward.

but i also understand if people don't wanna put up with it right now. i came because i got seniority in a hurry (500 #s below me in one year and growing) and good equipment among other things. i like CAL, but i see the gaps where it could be better. i'd like to be a part of that improvement. it will happen soon enough.

The folks that slam CAL for first year pay, etc. make me laugh, and I just lived through it. Honestly, it f*cking sucks, but, it is a contract that is going to be amendable in 08'. We have a ton of airplanes on order with many options. CAL is at least 2 years ahead of the other legacy carriers. Short term loss for a long term gain IMHO. SWA/FDX/UPS are good deals but turning down CAL for the hopes of DAL or UAL is ludicrious.

XJT is no safe bet either. The branded flying may or may not work. Other than that XJT is no different than any other small jet operator. I would much rather fly my own code then compete for scraps.

Go up to COVE HAVEN and RENT THE ROOM WITH THE CHAMPAGNE GLASS JACUZZI !!! If you are a true POCONO PILOT you will know exactly what I am talking about

Now I know why I was perusing this thread ... the single best piece of advice I got off of flightinfo all year!

How many flight attendants can I fit in there?
Do they take cash?
Can I register under an assumed name?

Not a slam Mega, just wondering how you know it's a fact?

Well about 10 people out of 15 that I know interviewed didn't get the job the first time. I probably know more people at SWA than I do any other airline.

I was lucky enough to be hired at CAL from Xjet about a 2 months after the XJet flood gates opened, (113 and PIGS were all gone or had thier chances).

I just finished my first year at CAL and I can agree with others that is really sucks making 30 bucks an hour flying a 737 (or bigger) with no health insurance. I never considdered leaving because after a year at the company I am at 60% 737 EWR, and I get 15 days off with about 1/2 the weekends off. I really cant imagine going else where and having to go through the stress of probation and training at a new place.

A big thing you have to remember is that in 2004 when the last "contract" was passed there were people on the street, there was still a large contingent of Scabs who would basically give the company what ever they wanted, and nobody was anywhere near first year pay.

Now there are 1000-1500 (I dont know the number for sure) new hires and there will be many more by the time the next contract comes for a vote. New hires will vastly out number the scabs by that time, and we all remember what it was like to live with that slap in the face. We have no pentions to protect we can flight for the right thing!

I first of all decided that I will vote no on any TA that does not include a decent living wage for all new hires (50-60 seems like a good starting point) and health insurance for day one.

Furthermore I plan to give my time and what ever else I can to ensure my fellow brothers and sisters at CAL do the right thing not only help ourselves but those behind us. I wasn't at CAL when the last contract went into effect, so I couldnt do anything about that, but now I can do something and I intend to do so.

I urge all fellow CAL pilots here to sign up for a Union P2P training and help secure our future!

"Bitter, table for one......your table is ready"

Oh, get over it. I am not bitter anymore. When was the last time I hijacked a SWA thread or ripped on SWA? Just because I say anything remotely negative, does not mean I am bitter.

Now there are 1000-1500 (I don't know the number for sure) new hires and there will be many more by the time the next contract comes for a vote. New hires will vastly out number the scabs by that time, and we all remember what it was like to live with that slap in the face. We have no pensions to protect we can flight for the right thing!

I believe it's a little sooner than you think. The last I heard, it was around 800 scabs, and decreasing daily this year. It's the older guys willing to give anything away for their retirement that scares me. I see their side with extreme clarity, but I believe ALL area's need fixing!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back